[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you determine the opportunity cost of taking a QB early?

MTSuper7

Looked up 1 of my leagues from last year 12 team. 4 teams took QB in round 2. Results:

1st team to take QB finished 9th in pts for & 9th in final standings

2nd team finished 8th in pts & 10th final

3rd team finished 12th & 12th

4th team finished 4th & 8th

I drafted my 1st QB #84(7.12) finished 1st in points & 3rd final (did not have either QB I drafted on final roster).

The champion had Cam Newton who knocked me out with a 49.5 game then won the championship game scoring only 9.85

I'm a big believer in middle round QB drafting.

Yep, sounds familiar.

I usually draft my QBs in the middle rounds. However, in a 12-team league drafting tonight, although passing TDs are already worth 6 points, in an absolutely insane move, the Commissioner quietly changed the rules to allow a QB to be used at flex too. So obviously it is going to be a 2QB league. I feel crazy for thinking this way, but am leaning toward going QB-QB-QB from the 6-spot and go BPA with upside for the rest. As it is a local league (with a surprisingly high buy in), I am hoping that late round skill will make up the difference.

Edited by dbforbes

I usually draft my QBs in the middle rounds. However, in a 12-team league drafting tonight, although passing TDs are already worth 6 points, in an absolutely insane move, the Commissioner quietly changed the rules to allow a QB to be used at flex too. So obviously it is going to be a 2QB league. I feel crazy for thinking this way, but am leaning toward going QB-QB-QB from the 6-spot and go BPA with upside for the rest. As it is a local league (with a surprisingly high buy in), I am hoping that late round skill will make up the difference.

Curious what you mean by "commish quitely changed the rule" because that is a red flag to me. Especially with a high buy in. Or do the owners give him that authority and were well informed of the rule before the draft (or other pertinent action).

We vote on every rule change regarding league play.

Curious what you mean by "commish quitely changed the rule" because that is a red flag to me. Especially with a high buy in. Or do the owners give him that authority and were well informed of the rule before the draft (or other pertinent action).

We vote on every rule change regarding league play.

Good question. I am only in my second year in that league, I don't really know anybody except the Commissioner and a friend, and it seems that nobody questions that that is how he does it. I think he makes changes on his own every season and lets things sort themselves out. As it is surprisingly an easy money league, I keep my mouth tightly shut. But don't get me wrong, he made the change a month ago.

Most of the posts are here are great. This scenario happened to me in one of my .5 ppr 12 man leagues....I think it was the 5th round, WR's and serviceable RB's were flying off the board. I didn't like any of the WR's for the value of that round, so I chose Luck at that spot. Cam, Brees and Wilson were gone at that point I believe. This was apart from the norm for me and I usually wait a little later to grab my first QB. I was trying to zig when everyone was zagging and going with projected value. Now if several other WR's I liked were available at that spot, I would have gone that way instead. I think it boils down to value, which I'm a big fan of. And obviously TD scoring has a lot to do with it too.

DMD's League Analysis and Graphing is the best mathematical approach I have seen and tested. It's old but the math is ageless :bow:

I agree, and I have used LAG analysis to help me adjust my strategy for different league scoring systems. What I've still struggled with, even in doing this analysis, is understanding the relationship between scoring disparity and scarcity. In other words, how much more valuable does a position that only starts one at that position need to be to justify taking that position early compared to a position that starts multiple players (typically RBs and WRs).