[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trusting Cohen yet?

MIKEYST13

I need to decide between Cohen @ TB or Hyde @ Sea. As a Bears fan I've been on the Cohen bandwagon since preseason and I actually drafted him in the 14th round, but as a realistic fantasy player I'm still on the fence.  Cohen is not going to catch anyone by surprise this week, but they will still find ways to get the ball in his hands.  Hyde on the other hand could be a workhorse as long as the game is close, but in Seattle I don't expect it to be close long and SF really struggled to move the ball at all last week....

Edited by MIKEYST13

Hyde is pretty much the only thing SFO has for FF relevance but with that said because they looked very ineffective I would seriously consider playing Cohen, from what I've seen people went after him to play him this week over other RB's, I think as a weekly RB2 I don't know if I would rely that heavily on him yet, but spot start RB2 yes, or Flex weekly maybe.  Hyde most weeks is a good option, this week probably will be a struggle to sustain drives.

Yeah Cohen is definitely just a spot start or insurance guy, Hyde is my #2 back as long as he is healthy.  That said, this may be the one week that I go against Hyde.  Shanahan was pretty quick to completely abandon the run last week, but Hyde did catch 6 passes which is quite a lot for him.  I also think that this week we may see more of Cohen at wildcat QB with Howard in the backfield with him, which intrigues me a bit.  Hyde probably has the higher floor, but MUCH lower ceiling this week, so I'm torn.

11 minutes ago, MIKEYST13 said:

I need to decide between Cohen @ Indy or Hyde @ Sea. As a Bears fan I've been on the Cohen bandwagon since preseason and I actually drafted him in the 14th round, but as a realistic fantasy player I'm still on the fence.  Cohen is not going to catch anyone by surprise this week, but they will still find ways to get the ball in his hands.  Hyde on the other hand could be a workhorse as long as the game is close, but in Seattle I don't expect it to be close long and SF really struggled to move the ball at all last week....

Let me start by saying I like Cohen a lot, and I paid 40% of my FA budget for him in multiple leagues. Also, the Bears are playing the Bucs, not Colts this week. Now, you'd be crazy to start him over Hyde this week. Hyde is by far the best offensive player on the 49ers. He got 5 ypc last week, and caught 6 of 6 targets. I'm not saying Hoyer is going to be able to stretch the field like Rodgers did, but Ty freaking Montgomery just put up almost 20 points on the Seahawks. They're far from shut down for opposing RBs.

11 minutes ago, MIKEYST13 said:

Yeah Cohen is definitely just a spot start or insurance guy, Hyde is my #2 back as long as he is healthy.  That said, this may be the one week that I go against Hyde.  Shanahan was pretty quick to completely abandon the run last week, but Hyde did catch 6 passes which is quite a lot for him.  I also think that this week we may see more of Cohen at wildcat QB with Howard in the backfield with him, which intrigues me a bit.  Hyde probably has the higher floor, but MUCH lower ceiling this week, so I'm torn.

and I think that's what give Hyde decent added value that he didn't really have before is Kyle is going to get him the ball (well call plays) with passing.  SFO just looked so bad I don't think they could establish anything consistent.

Yeah, not sure why I typed Indy, must have had that in my head from another question....   Anyways, true Hyde looked good, but he still ended the game with only 15 touches, it took 19 carries (at 2.8 ypc), 4 catches, and a short TD plunge after a fumble to get to that almost 20 points from Montgomery and he did it against a defense that was playing back a bit to respect the pass.  You think Sea has any fear of Hoyer and Garcon and won't just cram the box all day?  As for usage, Hyde had 15 touches, Cohen had 13.  Cohen was also targeted 12 times and lined up at 4 different positions.  IF I tought that Hyde was going to get a full workload it wouldn't even be a question, I'm just afraid of that 6-10 carries and abandon the run again.

15 minutes ago, MIKEYST13 said:

Yeah, not sure why I typed Indy, must have had that in my head from another question....   Anyways, true Hyde looked good, but he still ended the game with only 15 touches, it took 19 carries (at 2.8 ypc), 4 catches, and a short TD plunge after a fumble to get to that almost 20 points from Montgomery and he did it against a defense that was playing back a bit to respect the pass.  You think Sea has any fear of Hoyer and Garcon and won't just cram the box all day?  As for usage, Hyde had 15 touches, Cohen had 13.  Cohen was also targeted 12 times and lined up at 4 different positions.  IF I tought that Hyde was going to get a full workload it wouldn't even be a question, I'm just afraid of that 6-10 carries and abandon the run again.

I hear you, and I think anyone rooting for the Niners had to be frustrated with Hyde's usage, and I'd have thought that Shanahan would have learned his lesson to rely on your effective RBs after last years Super Bowl, but I still look at what he did with Freeman and Coleman last year, and I think very very big things for Hyde this year.

I just think you're going a bit overboard on one game from Cohen. I think he'll be good, but would you really be in any way surprised if last week was his best week of the year by 10 points?