[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dion Lewis or Burkhead for ROS?

Brennan1978

Pats fan here to give you my non-bias opinion as someone who watches the team...

Let me start this out by saying that I always, always, always avoid the Pats backfield, really since the Corey Dillion days. It's a tough sell with 12 at QB and an offensive scheme that really utilizes variety. For those of you lucky enough to start Jonas Gray @ INDY, we salute you. 

DION LEWIS is the Patriots lead back. Don't let the speculation or snap count reporting fool you. He is who - after a failed Gillislee campaign - the Pats turn to to run between the tackles. That being said, they don't jam him in short yardage or give him goal line looks. Sure, he gives you added value in special teams with returns but that's flukey and you likely only got your fill last week. Personally, I think he deserves more looks out of the backfield in the passing game but James White has eaten those up. Also, Lewis ranks 3rd in the league on how often a ball carrier goes down after 1st contact. He's second to only Marshawn Lynch and Kareem Hunt. 

REX BURKHEAD is a taller Danny Woodhead (scheme wise). The Pats rely on him to pass block - which he does well - and act as a variety of things throughout not only the offense, but also in kick coverage. He will get 5-10 carries again but they will not run him to pace the game down i.e. what Lewis is. The best example I can compare him to is (again) Danny Woodhead or Shane Vereen. He is dangerous out of the backfield to catch the ball and a strong ball carrier. I do not think that we will see him muster his way past the 50% snap share he has right now. 

So that's my takeaway on that. If I had to pick on, I'd go, Dion Lewis, because he has strictly more opportunity. But it's really a toss-up. And there will not be another game this season where all 3 RBs score for NE. 

Edited by Griffin_Morrow

Another Pats fan here (not a homer) and all round football fan.  I agree with Griffin and think he nailed the roles.  If they're all healthy I avoid Patriot RBs like the plague in FFB.

Btw nice reference to Jonas Gray, my opponent had him that week, it brought back the fantasy pain I felt that day :)

• Like 1