[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Report: Antonio Brown was benched for the Bengals game

Wolverines Fan

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I would expect a high first rounder or a mid 1st rounder and a young player or something like that.  

I would temper your expectations substantially.   Brown will be on the wrong side of 30 come September, had ridiculous chemistry with Ben, and is a malcontent.  The NFL is ridden with WRs who were ultra productive with their original QB and have big time stat declines on their new team.   Also no one in the NFL overpays draft picks for a WR besides the Cowboys. And they already gave up their 2019 round first round pick for Amari Cooper, who turns 25 in the off season.  

Edited by Bobby Brown

20 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I would temper your expectations substantially.   Brown will be on the wrong side of 30 come September, had ridiculous chemistry with Ben, and is a malcontent.  The NFL is ridden with WRs who were ultra productive with their original QB and have big time stat declines on their new team.   Also no one in the NFL overpays draft picks for a WR besides the Cowboys. And they already gave up their 2019 round first round pick for Amari Cooper, who turns 25 in the off season.  

You might be right, but I guess I wonder if the Steelers would find it worthwhile to get a lower first round draft pick.  Depends on a lot of variables which we don't know.  How broken is the relationship, how badly do they feel they need to win now, etc etc etc 

21 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

You might be right, but I guess I wonder if the Steelers would find it worthwhile to get a lower first round draft pick.  Depends on a lot of variables which we don't know.  How broken is the relationship, how badly do they feel they need to win now, etc etc etc 

Yea. Randy Moss was acquired for a 4th round pick when he was 30.

Edited by Bobby Brown

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Yea. Randy Moss was acquired for a 4th round pick when he was 30.

True, but he was coming off a 550 yard season.  When he was traded from the Vikes to the Raiders at age 26 or 27 it netted the Vikings a 7th overall, a 7th rounder, and a up and coming linebacker, and he had more question marks I think than AB at that stage, regardless of age.  Moss was taking plays off, injured frequently, getting fined repeatedly.  There isn't a lot of history of WR's of AB's caliber being traded to my knowledge so it will be hard to say what they can get if they are forced to shop him.    You may very well be right though they may need to settle for less. 

Edited by purplemonster

12 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The Steelers were next to last in the NFL in rushing, behind the Arizona Cardinals, so all the early season proclamations of not needing Bell have seemingly been vanquished.  The leadership of this team is largely in the hands of Tomlin and Ben, IMHO, and they suck at being leaders.   They lost control of the team.  Egos in the NFL are abundant, and the Steelers put on a text book display on how to mismanage those egos to the detriment of their team. 

I believe you have researched your stat , but I also remember Connors #s being equal to or better than Bells stats the previous year at the point in the season where it was declared Bell wasn't coming back. How is that possible if your stat is true ?

Edited by whomper

Everyone needs to calm their tits on the trade request.  The media is eating this up big time, as usual. He didn't unfollow the steelers on Social Media, and he didn't officially request a trade. He yelled at practice after being fed up "why don't yall trade me" I think he's pissed he wasn't team MVP. 

The whole team is frustrated with how things have worked out the last couple seasons and I think the majority of the team knows Tomlin is a problem. Yes he disciplined AB but he has allowed problems to fester and escalate with him for years ( FB Live, Temper Tantrums on side line etc). Brown is an elite talent, but he's a me guy. Former Steeler Ryan Clark tells a story on ESPN about warning management that if AB gets paid, he's going to be a problem. 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/1/2/18164161/steelers-news-ryan-clark-paints-ugly-picture-of-antonio-brown-as-a-teammate-mike-tomlin-trade-rumors

Having said all this, the drama needs to end. There is no way they are eating 21 million of his salary. Steelers make business decisions first and foremost. I'm not sure if there is a way around the cap hit or not, but I hope there is. Ben historically has always found guys to throw the ball to (Ward, Wallace, Holmes, Sanders now JUJU) James Washington is a big talent, Certainly no AB, nor is JUJU, but I think the benefits of ridding the cancer outweighs the talent he brings.

11 minutes ago, whomper said:

I believe you have researched your stat , but I also remember Connors #s being equal to or better than Bells stats the previous year at the point in the season where it was declared Bell wasn't coming back. How is that possible if your stat is true ?

Conner missed 3 games, but he we on pace to top Bells numbers until week 10 when he posted 65,25,53 and 60 Rush yards, then missed 3 games, and posted 64 yards last week. 

3 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Conner missed 3 games, but he we on pace to top Bells numbers until week 10 when he posted 65,25,53 and 60 Rush yards, then missed 3 games, and posted 64 yards last week. 

Gotcha. Thanks

15 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The Steelers were next to last in the NFL in rushing, behind the Arizona Cardinals, so all the early season proclamations of not needing Bell have seemingly been vanquished.  The leadership of this team is largely in the hands of Tomlin and Ben, IMHO, and they suck at being leaders.   They lost control of the team.  Egos in the NFL are abundant, and the Steelers put on a text book display on how to mismanage those egos to the detriment of their team. 

2nd to last in rushing yards, but first in passing yards, 4th in total yards (rush=1445, pass=5008, total=6453)

2017 PIT was 13 lowest rushing yards, bottom third to mid pack at best, 3rd in passing yards, and 3rd in overall yards (rush=1667, pass=4380, total=6047)

So this year they have about 400 more yards, 200 fewer rushing, but about 600 more passing. Really don't see this as the PIT offense taking a step back because of Bell.Running game was not that great with Bell, but he figured into the passing game a lot as well. Conner has too, but I think they've used JuJu and McDonald a lot more this year. 

5 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Bottom Line, Antonio Brown went AWOL from Friday-Sunday. Had his agent call Mike Tomlin. Briefly spoke with Tomlin Sunday. AWOL again. Sent out social media message while Tomlin was addressing it. 

Basically AB continuing to act like an immature jerk, this Browns fan is loving it.

If he is really upset that he is not the MVP and instead JuJu is he is writing his walking papers, Steelers will not put up with this. Somebody is going to deal with it, and they may need to deal with Tomlin's inability to deal with these issues. 

Edited by stevegrab

AB's bottom line number on the cap is this. His cap hit if he is traded is 21 Million BUT his salary and roster bonus savings is 15 Million, so only a 6 Million hit at the end of the day. If they can get some good assets back, do it up. 

I’m curious as to how much of this is stemming from the Bell saga

The teams bell cow RB, being ripped apart by the team and media because a younger, fresher RB was putting up similar numbers and he was refusing to play. Maybe Brown saw who the people in the locker room really were. 

The only thing you have to do is take out Bell/Conner and insert Brown/JuJu

9 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Having said all this, the drama needs to end. There is no way they are eating 21 million of his salary. Steelers make business decisions first and foremost. I'm not sure if there is a way around the cap hit or not, but I hope there is. Ben historically has always found guys to throw the ball to (Ward, Wallace, Holmes, Sanders now JUJU) James Washington is a big talent, Certainly no AB, nor is JUJU, but I think the benefits of ridding the cancer outweighs the talent he brings.

I agree the drama needs to end but I don't see how the Steelers compete at a consistent playoff level without their #1 RB and their #1 WR, both of which were top 5 at their respective positions. That is a ton of talent to lose.

Steelers need to be careful here or they can quickly become irrelevant for the next ~3 years. Managing character flaws is part of the NFL. I agree with other posters about leadership - they need alot more of it about now.

28 minutes ago, stethant said:

I agree the drama needs to end but I don't see how the Steelers compete at a consistent playoff level without their #1 RB and their #1 WR, both of which were top 5 at their respective positions. That is a ton of talent to lose.

Steelers need to be careful here or they can quickly become irrelevant for the next ~3 years. Managing character flaws is part of the NFL. I agree with other posters about leadership - they need alot more of it about now.

I agree. Inflated egos have always been an achilles' heel in the entertainment business; the front office needs to manage these egos.