[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nick Foles

Gourdeau

7 hours ago, LordOpie said:

they cannot trade him until he signs his tag. The idea is that the player is allowed to negotiate their own deals with only the teams he wants to. Once he signs, the team can keep him or trade him to ANY team that PHI chooses! Meaning, definitely not NYG. Could you imagine Foles with Saquon?

So, until he signs, PHI is not obligated and he won't sign until he chooses his next team.

Got ya. That's a tough one if your Foles. Do you sign it and guarantee yourself a huge payday or chance it on the open market? And Philly doesn't have much leverage. They are right against the cap. If he signs it and denies or doesn't want to be traded they are in big cap trouble. From what I've been reading I'm starting to think that there's a good chance the Birds don't tag him. 

Edited by League_Champion

16 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I think NYG.

also, to be clear, this drama isn't over. I bet PHI franchise tags him, partly because they want to get some compensation, but also... they don't want him going to NYG.

Those two statements seem to contradict each other, why think it will be NYG if you'd bet (more certainty than think?) PHI tags him, so they can get something and control where he goes, which is not to NYG.

I'd think that kind of rules out NYG, no?

I know sometimes people just post random thoughts, but this seems to be from two different people that didn't talk. 

10 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

they will tag him. they will accept much lower than most tags. they'll take a 3rd. Foles has no choice after he signs, he cannot deny a trade, all he can do is retire. What he needs to do at this point is have his agent get an agreement (in principal) with a team that PHI would be willing to trade to and accept a 3rd on DAY ONE of Free Agency. If that doesn't happen, he needs to sign his tag on day two because the longer it delays, the less likely he finds a market willing to pay him OVER $25mil (or whatever the tag is guaranteed for).

It would be rude, but I wouldn't be surprised if PHI revokes the tag after NYG and WAS secure their QB situation. Then Foles is really screwed because he gave up $22mil to explore FA with a much smaller market/demand.

Should be very interesting, and may get ugly

• Thanks 1

I think this gets resolved quickly and amicably.  Teams want to know who their quarterback is going to be as early in the off-season as possible.  I don't think either Foles or the Eagles will play hardball.  The Eagles will get a 2nd or 3rd round pick and will let him go any team out of their division.  Foles' agent knows what the Eagles want in trade compensation and he is negotiating with teams right now.  I bet Foles signs with his new team on the first day of free agency.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I think this gets resolved quickly and amicably.  Teams want to know who their quarterback is going to be as early in the off-season as possible.  I don't think either Foles or the Eagles will play hardball.  The Eagles will get a 2nd or 3rd round pick and will let him go any team out of their division.  Foles' agent knows what the Eagles want in trade compensation and he is negotiating with teams right now.  I bet Foles signs with his new team on the first day of free agency.

Agree 100%

53 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I made guesses based on two different perspectives/scenarios... I'm not sure why you always have to be contrary, but if I don't answer you, you'll pester me, so...

What does FOLES want?

Why not go to a team that has Saquon, Odell, and Solder (at LT)?!?! If he's a FA, then "I think NYG".

What does PHI want?

Definitely doesn't want Foles to go to division rival, NYG or WAS.

So, if PHI *thinks* Foles could go to a division rival, they will try to block that (tag him). If none of the NFC East teams needed a QB, the odds of PHI not tagging him would go up significantly. Since the best fit is probably NYG, then tag.

Do you always have to be difficult?

I am not trying to be difficult but you toss a lot of stuff out in jumbled form that clearly has contradictions. 

You never said anything about signing with NYG only being if he is a FA. Maybe you meant that, but you didn't say that. Maybe it flowed from some prior posts, hard to keep up sometimes. 

If you don't response I won't pester you, not sure why you believe otherwise. Maybe I should just use your "sorry I upset you" remark since you thought that was sufficient in the past. 

• Thanks 1

This is interesting.

"While several reports suggest that’s the Eagles plan — including one from ESPN’s Adam Schefter — it continues to feel like somewhat of a long shot it happens that way for several reasons, including one brought up by my colleague Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk

A tag-and-trade might violate the CBA. 

Florio dug this up from Article 4, Section 8, subsection (b): 

A Club extending a Required Tender must, for so long as that Tender is extended, have a good faith intention to employ the player receiving the Tender at the Tender compensation level during the upcoming season.

Basically, it seems like the Eagles’ plan to tag and trade Foles violates the spirit of the franchise tag rule. The Eagles don’t plan on having Foles on their roster next year; the only reason they would tag him is to trade him. Florio writes if Foles were to fight the tag, an expedited grievance would resolve the issue before the start of free agency on March 13. 

We don’t know what Foles’ feelings on this scenario are, but based on how quickly he voided his option year by paying back $2 million, it seems like he would rather become a free agent. Pretty much anyone would rather become a free agent. That’s why our Andrew Kulp doesn’t understand why Foles would sign a franchise tag if the Eagles placed one on him (see story). Foles really has all the leverage".

• Like 2

Man, I don't consider myself stupid but I am having trouble following this.  Foles "cannot refuse a trade".  Ok, but there must be some rules as far as how much he gets paid. If he signs the franchise tag they can't trade him to a team that pays him 10 million and gives the Eagles a first rounder.  (hypothetical, just saying).  Anyone know what he is contractually obligated to get under a trade? 

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

This is interesting.

It is interesting.  For years the press has speculated that players would be tagged with the intention of trading that player.  Usually the player isn't tagged.  I'm trying to think of a player that was tagged by his team with the sole intention of trading him.  I can't think of an example.  Although, quarterback and running back are the only positions where this would apply since they are the only positions where you only want one player at that position (except kicker, punter and kick/punt returners). 

Sometimes the press doesn't know what they are talking about.  Just look at all speculation the press made about Le'Veon that turned out to be misinformed.  Or this could also be a case where the CBA says something but teams have an understanding that it is okay.  Foles would still have a legitimate gripe and could make a grievance.  But this makes me believe that they won't tag him at all.  The Eagles are hugely grateful for what Foles gave them.  Teams tend to appreciate a Super Bowl win.

3 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

It is interesting.  For years the press has speculated that players would be tagged with the intention of trading that player.  Usually the player isn't tagged.  I'm trying to think of a player that was tagged by his team with the sole intention of trading him.  I can't think of an example.  Although, quarterback and running back are the only positions where this would apply since they are the only positions where you only want one player at that position (except kicker, punter and kick/punt returners). 

Sometimes the press doesn't know what they are talking about.  Just look at all speculation the press made about Le'Veon that turned out to be misinformed.  Or this could also be a case where the CBA says something but teams have an understanding that it is okay.  Foles would still have a legitimate gripe and could make a grievance.  But this makes me believe that they won't tag him at all.  The Eagles are hugely grateful for what Foles gave them.  Teams tend to appreciate a Super Bowl win.

Yup, I'm starting to think they won't tag him either. Eagles owner Jeffrey Laurie LOVES Nick Foles and I find it hard to believe that they would do anything to hold him back. I'm not worried about the Giants or having Nick Foles in the East. 

17 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

1. This is true AFTER he signs the tag. Until then, he can negotiate with any team

2. When he signs the tag, he gets the average of the top 5 players at that position, guaranteed (about $25mil for a QB this year)

3. If he signs, then he is under contract for that season (tag amount, $25m). If traded, then the new team can sign him to any new deal, but the player has to agree to the new contract.

Can't he sign the tag then dictate where he goes? What if he signs the tag and tells the Eagles I'll only do a new deal with the Giants. It would throw a money wrench in everything. I doubt he would do that but could he??

3 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

he can say whatever he wants, but logistically, after he signs the tag, he's under PHI control and his only recourse is to hold out... didn't work so well for Leveon.

By not signing the tag, he's allowed to negotiate with any team. The problem is, if he waits too long to sign the tag, he puts himself in a more difficult position and his position gets worse as the off-season progresses. After the NFL draft, he'll have absolutely no leverage and if PHI revokes the tag, he's lost $25m guaranteed and would likely be on a $5m back up contract.

I have a bad feeling this gets ugly. I hope not, he's been a good soldier for the Birds. I'd rather they let him walk if need be.

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

i bet the team would if the only issue was compensation (like a 3rd), but since TWO of your division rivals need a QB, they just can't. Could you imagine a 30 year old good QB on that NYG team? What if your team lets Foles walks and he's the difference between NYG winning the division? Your fans would tear the team a new one.

After all, you guys throw batteries at Santa!

Snowballs, not batteries. 

57 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not us, we're tame and docile  ;) 

I recall a game with Chargers, in the EZ at my end (Dawg Pound) and people throwing snow balls, one barely missed Junior Seau's, the glare he gave us could have frozen lava. 

Haha. Your lucky Seau didn't bum rush the stands. I was at the game where they were hurling snowballs at Jimmy Johnson. There must have been 10,000 snowballs at once. It looked like Baghdad.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Not us, we're tame and docile  ;) 

I recall a game with Chargers, in the EZ at my end (Dawg Pound) and people throwing snow balls, one barely missed Junior Seau's, the glare he gave us could have frozen lava. 

In thought you were referring to this:

On 2/7/2019 at 6:37 PM, michaelredd9 said:

I'm trying to think of a player that was tagged by his team with the sole intention of trading him.  I can't think of an example.

Here is an example where it happened:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-if-eagles-use-the-franchise-tag-on-nick-foles-heres-a-look-at-possible-risks-rewards/

There is a school of thought that franchising Foles strictly for trade purposes violates the CBA. Language requiring a good-faith intention to negotiate with a tendered player or keep him for the upcoming season at his tender exists in the CBA. A team insisting that a player agree to a contract for that particular season under the required tendered amount is specifically mentioned as violation. The good-faith intention may be superseded by other language within the same provision addressing the permissibility of trades.

The Patriots were allowed to trade Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel (now Titans head coach) to the Chiefs for a 2009 second round pick (34th overall) while the quarterback was designated a franchise player in 2009. It was obvious New England wasn't going to pay Cassel $14.651 million to be Tom Brady's backup once he recovered from the torn ACL that sidelined him for practically all of the 2008 season. The type of language in question was a part of the labor agreement in existence when Cassel's designation was made.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LordOpie said:

good post ^

however, it's moot. The language doesn't forbid tagging for the sole purpose of trading... unless the team has zero intention of employing the player if a trade fails to happen. If it can be proved that PHI *planned* to revoke the tag should a trade not happen, then there's a problem. But that's very difficult to prove. If PHI "thinks" it might keep Foles, then that's good enough.

If PHI tags, fails to trade, waits for NYG and WAS to secure their QB, then revokes the trade, maybe, just maybe, Foles could have a case.

But that's also moot because Foles' agent should get him to sign the tag on day three of free agency. Then PHI is committed to the $25m and no worries.

Your right, that rule is flimsy at best. It's almost impossible to prove a teams intent. The only angle i could see would be that the Eagles couldn't sign him even if they wanted to. They don't have anywhere near the cap room. But even that can be debated. 

• Thanks 1