[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superbowl 2019 Thread

League_Champion

I believe the only way you liked this game is if you bet the Pats or are a Pats fan. It was the worst super bowl I have ever seen . After every superbowl you can always name at least 5 exciting memorable plays. This game , I guess the best play of the game was the gronk catch . I can appreciate a good defensive battle but it wasn't even an intense defensive battle with big hits and memorable stops or a goal line stand etc . It was each team meandering for a first down or 2 and then punting. Goff was a deer in the headlights . I don't think people are really emphasizing how huge that Cooks drop was right before the pick. You have to haul that in. That is a game changer for sure if he grabs that catchable pass . I don't need arena football scoring , but I do enjoy action and a big play here and there . This game was a giant letdown . I actually was nodding off in the 4th Q

• Like 1

I was on the edge of my seat the wholw game, but I imagine that’s natural as I was vested.  Overall I was entertained.

From a technical standpoint, can anyone comment on why Goff’s throw from the endzone when he had a herd of Pats defenders in his face was not Intentional Grounding?

- Under diress, Check

- In the pocket, Check

- Ball didn’t make the LOS, Check.

- No receiver within 5 yards of the ball, Check?

12 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Sorry I interrupted your trolling to talk technical football.  I was looking for an actual opinion, maybe even some knowledge of the subject to clarify what made it grounding or not.

Replay showed a receiver in the trajectory of the ball. Yeah, he was 10 yards down field, but ball was thrown in his direction. Goff was pressured, so under thrown ball is expected.

Edited by Gourdeau

Yeah. Not sure what's going on with the Pats and the male mouth kissing . Brady planted one on bellichik too. It is just an incredibly odd way to great another grown man unless you are both homosexual and involved , which I am not suggesting here

8 minutes ago, whomper said:

Yeah. Not sure what's going on with the Pats and the male mouth kissing . Brady planted one on bellichik too. It is just an incredibly odd way to great another grown man unless you are both homosexual and involved , which I am not suggesting here

Haven’t we known Brady was metro since the first Ugg commercial?  I am not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.  Swingin’ time with Tom and SuperG must be an ‘experience’

2 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Replay showed a receiver in the trajectory of the ball. Yeah, he was 10 yards down field, but ball was thrown in his direction. Goff was pressured, so under thrown ball is expected.

Fair point.  I thought that was where the LOS distinction came in, though?

There was another case earlier in the game that was also questionable for not being called grounding.  Maybe even more so, but the situation would not have been as impactful.  It’s when Goff was being chased OOB, and he launched the ball also OOB.  That ball also did not cross the LOS, except maybe far OOB.

Anyways...as d’Opie pointed out, it didn’t affect the winner.  I was just curious as to what other folks observed there.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

12 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Fair point.  I thought that was where the LOS distinction came in, though?

There was another case earlier in the game that was also questionable for not being called grounding.  Maybe even more so, but the situation would not have been as impactful.  It’s when Goff was being chased OOB, and he launched the ball also OOB.  That ball also did not cross the LOS, except maybe far OOB.

Anyways...as d’Opie pointed out, it didn’t affect the winner.  I was just curious as to what other folks observed there.

I saw the same thing as you. 

Only other call that raised my question marks was when Goff got creamed as he was going out of bounds. He was still in play but cleary was going out, slowing down to do so.. I wonder if that had been Tawmy what would have occurred. Overall though I'm glad there weren't any game changing calls or no calls that were ticky tack 

4 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Only other call that raised my question marks was when Goff got creamed as he was going out of bounds. He was still in play but cleary was going out, slowing down to do so.. I wonder if that had been Tawmy what would have occurred. Overall though I'm glad there weren't any game changing calls or no calls that were ticky tack 

I have very strong feelings about this, since a playoff game in the 90’s when Matt Chatham let up and didn’t crush Kordell Stewart out of bounds.  Slash made like he was going to fo OOB, ans when the defender slowed up, he dashed down the sidelined for what was a critical TD.  Ever since that game I have always felt that in bounds is fair game when you are a runner.   Turn TommyBoy into a smear if he’s running for the sidelines and you catch him, I’ll never complain about that!

Anyways, i generally agree that the refs tried to stay out of the way for the most part, and I think everyone was glad for it.

EDIT:  Whoops, sorry.  It was Todd Collins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1998-01-04-9801040357-story,amp.html

Edited by Caveman_Nick
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Tom, Ben, Peyton, Rodgers, any of them might have gotten the call, but no call was the right call runner was clearly still in bounds. 

The refs were for the most part unnoticed, felt like maybe flags per quarter, impressive considering the many punts in the game, kicking plays get a flag about half the time. 

19 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Nice hot take, if he had something useful to say I missed it because I stop reading with the author sounds like a 12 year old tossing the MF label at Goff/McVay and trashing them.

11 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

What was your username? What bicycles do you have? But I'm guessing that you never posted there. You googled my username and saw that I used to post there.

I used to love RideMonkey. I met some great people there and rode with about two dozen of them.

I was on there several years ago. Not really into that scene anymore. I wasn't a real harcore rider, more casual. I had a couple Trek's over the years. Nothing fancy.