[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bell to the Jets

Wpob

4 years at $52 million with $35 million guaranteed.  I think he thought he was going to get much more but it looked like the Jets were the only real suitors for him.  

He's still under Gurley but he should be. It averages out to $13M per season. Maybe not what he wanted but shouldn't complain. Now let's see how much was Bell and how much was playing for the Steelers.

I believe the Steeler offer was 5 years at $70 million.  I think the guaranteed money might have been less coming from Pittsburgh's offer. 

Stupid.  He's going to prove, just like Demarco Murray did, that the RB isn't all about talent.  It's the system that makes the RB.  He went to a horrible spot.  I for sure won't touch him in fantasy next year.  No way, Jose! 

Or is it HoZay? 

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shorttynaz said:

Stupid.  He's going to prove, just like Demarco Murray did, that the RB isn't all about talent.  It's the system that makes the RB.  He went to a horrible spot.  I for sure won't touch him in fantasy next year.  No way, Jose! 

Agree.

Sam Darnold

Le'Veon Bell

Robby Anderson

Quincy Enunwa

Jamison Crowder

Chris Herndon

Bell took a year off, lost 14.5 mil, lost the chance at making 18 mil more overall, lost the chance to be the greatest Steeler RB in history and be a sure fire hall of famer with his childhood team, his mom's team, all to gain 2 mil more guaranteed upfront. The steelers offer also an additional 15 mil in rolling guarantees whatever that means...In the case of New York..... more is less.... his tax bracket more than doubled so he’s likely to take home less than he would have with the Steelers offer.... even with more “guaranteed”. Idiot. Oh well at least he had time to produce his new album :headbang:

Edited by Gourdeau
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

Bell took a year off, lost 14.5 mil, lost the chance at making 18 mil more overall, lost the chance to be the greatest Steeler RB in history and be a sure fire hall of famer with his childhood team, his mom's team, all to gain 2 mil more guaranteed upfront. The steelers offer also an additional 15 mil in rolling guarantees whatever that means...In the case of New York..... more is less.... his tax bracket more than doubled so he’s likely to take home less than he would have with the Steelers offer.... even with more “guaranteed”. Idiot. Oh well at least he had time to produce his new album :headbang:

Jets or jet-skis!!!

I'm sure bell knew at some point he wasnt getting that lost money back...I'm sure he was prepared for just about every scenario

As I always say...fans look at stuff from a different perspective... completely different...alot of players and former players are congratulating him...it's about the system and pushing back on the owners who have it really good...the system is a hit screwed up and the owners love it

There's a good portion of people that are rooting against bell and brown...probably alot...most civilian fans who work alot for a modest living ...but there's some people who are happy for brown and bell...most guys who have sacrificed their bodies and heads for these owners to make money hand over fist....those guys seem to be happy for bell and brown...they understand the game and business better than us

I'm sure somewhere bell is smiling and happy knowing he and brown are gone and the Steelers have to go on without two stars....maybe the Steelers weather it just fine and don't skip a beat....but maybe they don't ...and if.they don't make the playoffs or win a playoff game over the next couple of years people will always have to wonder

The nfl needs to do something about salaries and structure...the franchise tag system is outdated now and the whole thing is a mess

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LordOpie said:

so a slightly better deal while losing out $14mil last season?

Someone failed math.

Not sure it was ever really about the money, he felt disrespected by the Steelers and just wanted to screw them and get out. 

2 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

Jets or jet-skis!!!

I'm sure bell knew at some point he wasnt getting that lost money back...I'm sure he was prepared for just about every scenario

As I always say...fans look at stuff from a different perspective... completely different...alot of players and former players are congratulating him...it's about the system and pushing back on the owners who have it really good...the system is a hit screwed up and the owners love it

There's a good portion of people that are rooting against bell and brown...probably alot...most civilian fans who work alot for a modest living ...but there's some people who are happy for brown and bell...most guys who have sacrificed their bodies and heads for these owners to make money hand over fist....those guys seem to be happy for bell and brown...they understand the game and business better than us

I'm sure somewhere bell is smiling and happy knowing he and brown are gone and the Steelers have to go on without two stars....maybe the Steelers weather it just fine and don't skip a beat....but maybe they don't ...and if.they don't make the playoffs or win a playoff game over the next couple of years people will always have to wonder

The nfl needs to do something about salaries and structure...the franchise tag system is outdated now and the whole thing is a mess

Players agreed to these rules, if they're not to their benefit they should get better negotiators. 

If the players get their way the NFL will turn into the NBA with players running the league/teams.  Do the fans want that?

As for Brown and Bell, they feel like they won, they are still being paid millions, but they're not likely to have the success they did with the Steelers. Raiders are a disaster, and while the Jets added lots of pieces they were not exactly a team already on the upswing toward playoff contender. Plus the Pats are still in that division.

39 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Players agreed to these rules, if they're not to their benefit they should get better negotiators. 

If the players get their way the NFL will turn into the NBA with players running the league/teams.  Do the fans want that?

As for Brown and Bell, they feel like they won, they are still being paid millions, but they're not likely to have the success they did with the Steelers. Raiders are a disaster, and while the Jets added lots of pieces they were not exactly a team already on the upswing toward playoff contender. Plus the Pats are still in that division.

there was an HBO real sports segment not too long ago where demaurice smith got grilled pretty hard and basically accused of not taking the best deal for the players...I work for a DOD contractor and their is a union presense where I work....I think its foolish to think that all who work on behalf of the union always have "john q union worker's" best interest in mind all of the time....its not crazy to think a briefcase or two fo cash cant be handed over in order for the union to make concessions the company wants and mask it by saying "well we got this though"=something the company doesn't really care about but can be made to look beneficial

listen...managing/owning an nfl team and keeping it successful is as difficult as its ever been....players wanting raises...players finding raises somewhere else and having to replace them...having to satisfy star players while managing money and not crippling the overall health of the team...its tough...its not the nba with 12 guys...or mlb with 25.....its hard to keep a team competitive....its more difficult than ever.....I understand the management/ownership side....and I get it

I also get the players side of the coin...and I'm not going to go over that again and rehash it...you know their beef....so its only natural that both sides, with solid points, are going to clash....and that's what were seeing

but...its probably going to have to be the owners who are going to have to give something up to make things better.....and those guys don't like to do that...they don't like losing

if you are going to make a big budget action movie...and you love the director you have....the script/plot...and you have a 125 million dollar budget...you think this film will bring in 325 mil at the box office if its done right.....you gonna go out and pay some up and comer, 25 year old, actor to star in it? pay him 3-4 million? "hey I think this guy is a breakout waiting to happen...this picture can launch him".....maybe.....but most guys are gonna go out and get the rock or Wahlberg and pay them 15-20 mil

yeah conner did well....but the steelers didn't make the playoffs......and now brown got out and its probably going to be more difficult for them to make the playoffs....bell might have lost a few bucks but I bet it was just as personal...about respect....for a guy helping the steelers win while putting himself on the line 400x a year.......its probably worth it to him

I still stand by what I said about the system being out of whack in the nfl...at the very least the franchise tag is outdated and needs to be done away with

• Like 1

I agree the system is out of whack, but most times when people say "the NFL needs to fix that" they're implying the owners need to give the players more. I'm guessing that isn't the case with you know based on your response, since you acknowledge that the NFLPA hasn't represented their players too well. 

I just don't want to see things like what happened with Bell last year being a regular occurrence, because it harms the sport I enjoy.

Not sure why you think the owners are the one that will have/need to give something up. Of course they hate losing, but so do the players (not just losing out on money, but losing games, something many star players never experienced before the pros). Why either side should be more willing or compelled to cave isn't clear to me. Players can strike, but that rarely produces the desired results. Both sides need each other, players are not going to start their own pro football league and try to replace the NFL, no matter how many times we hear those rumors. 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I agree the system is out of whack, but most times when people say "the NFL needs to fix that" they're implying the owners need to give the players more. I'm guessing that isn't the case with you know based on your response, since you acknowledge that the NFLPA hasn't represented their players too well. 

I just don't want to see things like what happened with Bell last year being a regular occurrence, because it harms the sport I enjoy.

Not sure why you think the owners are the one that will have/need to give something up. Of course they hate losing, but so do the players (not just losing out on money, but losing games, something many star players never experienced before the pros). Why either side should be more willing or compelled to cave isn't clear to me. Players can strike, but that rarely produces the desired results. Both sides need each other, players are not going to start their own pro football league and try to replace the NFL, no matter how many times we hear those rumors. 

Ya players aren't going to strike or start their own league

But where there's a relatively young all pro ...there's an owner in need of wins who happens to have a ton of cap space ...see what I'm saying?

5 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

Well yes I'd agree with that, it's one thing to congratulate when a guy sticks it to the man but this was a major loss for him in every aspect of the deal. It failed miserably, so i'm not sure what there is for him to be congratulated on. I mean he still got a good contract, but it cost him a lot to get that and he could have had a lot more. 

I'm sure somewhere bell is smiling and happy knowing he and brown are gone and the Steelers have to go on without two stars....

I'm not sure that Bell will feel this way. He made it pretty clear throughout the last 2 years that he had no animosity towards them, that it was strictly business. Totally different scenario than Brown.

maybe the Steelers weather it just fine and don't skip a beat....but maybe they don't ...and if.they don't make the playoffs or win a playoff game over the next couple of years people will always have to wonder

The narrative is the ship is sinking. The thing is they only had 2 playoff wins in 8 years with these two (bell for less than that). A lot of people are overlooking that. The narrative was the same when we they let Rod Woodson go, Plaxico Burress, Holmes and Wallace, the sky was falling. One constant remains, good management ( debatable on Brown trade by overall historically great)  and at least for another 3 years, Ben. HOF QB, with a top 3 oline, a HOF QB, a stud young WR and a pretty solid back in Conner. Hard to replace Brown, Bell not so much. This team can still compete imo

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Not sure it was ever really about the money, he felt disrespected by the Steelers and just wanted to screw them and get out. 

I really don't think that at all nor do most fans. In all his interviews there was never a hint of it, there was never any rumors or swirling about it. Was strictly about the GTD money IMO. He took a gamble on himself, and lost. 

5 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Well yes I'd agree with that, it's one thing to congratulate when a guy sticks it to the man but this was a major loss for him in every aspect of the deal. It failed miserably, so i'm not sure what there is for him to be congratulated on. I mean he still got a good contract, but it cost him a lot to get that and he could have had a lot more. 

I'm not sure that Bell will feel this way. He made it pretty clear throughout the last 2 years that he had no animosity towards them, that it was strictly business. Totally different scenario than Brown.

The narrative is the ship is sinking. The thing is they only had 2 playoff wins in 8 years with these two (bell for less than that). A lot of people are overlooking that. The narrative was the same when we they let Rod Woodson go, Plaxico Burress, Holmes and Wallace, the sky was falling. One constant remains, good management ( debatable on Brown trade by overall historically great)  and at least for another 3 years, Ben. HOF QB, with a top 3 oline, a HOF QB, a stud young WR and a pretty solid back in Conner. Hard to replace Brown, Bell not so much. This team can still compete imo

I'm sure it was business...but business causes animosity...don't think for a second it doesnt...

Take Dion Lewis for example...the Patriots gave him life...brought his career back from the dead....and he got paid...by someone else...which should make him thankful....but when the Titans whopped up on the pats he let it be known. He thought the pats were cheap and that's why they got beat up(funny they won the Superbowl and Titans nowhere to be found)....business always gets personal no matter how much people tell you it doesn't with that cliche 

I didn't day the ship is sinking...but your narrative is bell lost....but bell might not feel that way...and if the Steelers struggle to make the playoffs(and don't) again he's probably going to enjoy it just a bit 

28 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I really don't think that at all nor do most fans. In all his interviews there was never a hint of it, there was never any rumors or swirling about it. Was strictly about the GTD money IMO. He took a gamble on himself, and lost. 

People are rarely, if ever , admit it's personal in a situation like that....it looks worse than saying it's business....he's as likely to admit it's personal as he is to admit that he felt like he gambled and lost....even if he really feels that way 

Never underestimate the animosity that franchise tag causes....u notice the Patriots rarely use it....using it once might fly with a guy...but using it twice is playing with a guy....the pats often let their guys exlpore their options and then let them come back and the pats will offer then what their value is to them....or even just come up with their value for player x and say "this is what we can do for u...if you aren't interested feel free to explore your options"...most guys appreciate it...and belichick has been quoted on that 

16 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

I'm sure it was business...but business causes animosity...don't think for a second it doesnt...

Take Dion Lewis for example...the Patriots gave him life...brought his career back from the dead....and he got paid...by someone else...which should make him thankful....but when the Titans whopped up on the pats he let it be known. He thought the pats were cheap and that's why they got beat up(funny they won the Superbowl and Titans nowhere to be found)....business always gets personal no matter how much people tell you it doesn't with that cliche 

I didn't day the ship is sinking...but your narrative is bell lost....but bell might not feel that way...and if the Steelers struggle to make the playoffs(and don't) again he's probably going to enjoy it just a bit 

Sorry yes, didn't mean to imply you said that, just meant in general that seems to be the mind set, even among some in the fan-base.

No doubt business can be messy and burn bridges, i'll agree there for sure but I don't get a sense there was any hard feelings. He and his agent acknowledged candidly last season that the contract talks were very productive and they were very close to an agreement but fell very short. Even still, of course he's gonna be happy if they don't succeed without him, thats just natural competitive mentality. I can't imaging that he has any sense that he is a winner in this, he goes to a historically awful franchise, goes to a high tax bracket, gets way less money overall but then again, he does think his music is great so thats all we need to know about his mindset 

7 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Sorry yes, didn't mean to imply you said that, just meant in general that seems to be the mind set, even among some in the fan-base.

No doubt business can be messy and burn bridges, i'll agree there for sure but I don't get a sense there was any hard feelings. He and his agent acknowledged candidly last season that the contract talks were very productive and they were very close to an agreement but fell very short. Even still, of course he's gonna be happy if they don't succeed without him, thats just natural competitive mentality. I can't imaging that he has any sense that he is a winner in this, he goes to a historically awful franchise, goes to a high tax bracket, gets way less money overall but then again, he does think his music is great so thats all we need to know about his mindset 

"Ya contract talks are going well...we think we can get something done"...just typical player / agent speak really....but I'm sure a large part of him was hoping this would go well and he would come back there....but you also acknowledge things fell "very short"....which doesn't really jive with the first statement ....

Things aren't going well and fall very short....that's why I have a hard time taking his stances for face value 

He had to say it's business...or else he looks unappealing to any front office or owner....if he's vindictive against them he can be against anyone for anything is what that would say....and he's certainly not going to win any sympathy saying "it's personal against the Rooney's"

The business line is the typical one...it actually makes you less bad than saying it's personal....I'm sure he was hoping things would work out with the Steelers which is why he played nice 

9 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

Jets or jet-skis!!!

agreed.  At a minimum, the Franchise Tag should have a one-time restriction, meaning you can't tag the same player twice.