[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Traded for Mahomes. It cost me a lot.

Chaim Witz

In one of my money leagues, I'm sitting 5 out of 12 (4 make playoffs), with good points (2nd), but getting clipped by my underperforming QB situation, and squeaked out a couple of wins, despite it. New to this league, so it took me a few weeks to understand how the performances bonuses worked (they actually stack), so I spent 2 weeks preparing my roster for this trade. I felt I needed to make a move for Mahomes, to make playoffs, and that team (1-4) is the only one decimated by injuries, so thinking he can get by with Rodgers IF he can upgrade his roster, I thought he might bite.

I offered him any of my QB's he wanted, plus any of my RB's he wanted, plus Mike Williams, plus either of my TE's for Mahomes. The only stipulation was if he selected Chubb, I would want T.Y. from him also. Otherwise, I would take Mahomes for the 4 players, and if he wanted to send me whoever he was going to drop, that was fine also. AND I gave him the option to do the trade for this week (wk 6) or wait for week 7...his choice.

This was my team:

QB: Wentz, Rivers, Garopollo 

RB: Chubb, David Johnson, A. Jones, M. Gordon

WR: Keenan, Lockett, M. Williams 

TE: Waller, Dissly

K: Slye

D: Buffalo, Tennessee

He chose Wentz, Chubb, M. Williams, and Waller (which is what would have picked, and expected to lose)

League is full PPR. Passing is 1/20 and passing TD = 4. Rush/Rec is 1/10 and TD = 6.

Lineup: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex RB/WR, K, Def

Why I went for Mahomes and paid a lot, despite TD = only 4...

Passing Bonuses:

300-399 = 2

400+ = 3

40+ Passing TD = 2

50+ Passing TD = 2

Rushing Bonuses:

100-199 = 2

200+ = 5

40+ Rushing TD = 3

50+ Rushing TD = 4

Receiving Bonuses:

PPR = 1

100-199 = 2

200+ = 4

40+ Receiving TD = 2

50+ Receiving TD = 3

**And remember, these bonuses all stack**

I have moves I'm already making with the junk he's sending me, but here is what my team looks like after the trade. I HATE losing Chubb, but I think what Mahomes and T.Y. bring back in full PPR, will give me a better shot for the rest of the season.

QB: Mahomes, Rivers, Garopollo 

RB: David Johnson, A. Jones, M. Gordon, Darrell Henderson 

WR: Keenan, Lockett, T.Y. Hilton

TE: Waller, OJ Howard

K: Slye

Def: Buff, TEN

There...so you have most of the relevant info...fire away. I suppose I just wonder: 1) Would you have done it? 2) What did I get right or wrong? Do you think it improves my team overall or makes it worse?

I like your first team better, you had depth and no weak spot. Now, I'm a little worried about your RBs since they all have question marks. Also, Hilton is banged up quite a bit.

Edited by Shaft

39 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

You just lost your league because of that move 

Tend to agree with this.  I think you gave up the best player in this trade.  ROS I like Chubb better than Mahomes.

Every team in a 12 team league will have weaknesses.  You just moved your weakness. 

Weak QB or WR is usually much easier to manage throughout the year than RB.

It may work out out for you but I think you gave up too much just to upgrade at QB.

4 hours ago, Shaft said:

You need to provide a Cliff Notes version.

Believe it or not, this was the Cliff Notes version, in trying to give info on the thought process...lol

4 hours ago, Shaft said:

I like your first team better, you had depth and no weak spot. Now, I'm a little worried about your RBs since they all have question marks. Also, Hilton is banged up quite a bit.

I totally agree, IF this wasn't full PPR and it didn't have all these stinking bonuses. I was a last minute add to the league, and I drafted for a 'standard' league, because the guys who asked me to join told me it was Non-PPR. That was my own fault because I didn't have time to check ALL the scoring points, and just kind of winged it since it was a live draft and already paid my money immediately when they asked me to join, then immediately drove down to do the draft. THAT was the biggest mistake I made this season, so the trade may just be the 2nd biggest. 😉

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You just lost your league because of that move 

I see why you say that, but I've been doing this fantasy thing since the late 1980's. One thing I've learned is that being competitive doesn't necessarily get you in the money. I 'lost my league' if I come in anywhere from 5th or 12th, so making sure I get in the Top 4 is the priority. Finishing 5th, 8th, or 11th doesn't matter to me. Even though I'm in the top 2 for points, the schedule for me isn't getting easier.

3 hours ago, Judge Smales said:

Tend to agree with this.  I think you gave up the best player in this trade.  ROS I like Chubb better than Mahomes.

Every team in a 12 team league will have weaknesses.  You just moved your weakness. 

Weak QB or WR is usually much easier to manage throughout the year than RB.

It may work out out for you but I think you gave up too much just to upgrade at QB.

I agree with you about Chubb. I didn't want to lose him, but I wasn't getting an upgrade at QB (and those stinking 'stacking bonuses') without giving him up. As stated before, I needed someone who could consistently get me into those bonuses, and my position of strength was RB. I will also have D. Singletary coming on board once waivers come open, just to add to RB depth. I will have to have a bit of luck, though.

2 hours ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

Why do you have 3 QBs and 2 defenses?

Ummmm...BUF is on a bye this week, so that accounts for the extra defense. The 3rd QB was there to account for any other possible trades (packages), IF needed. One leaves after this week.

3 hours ago, turbotooslow said:

Damn you got fleeced. Wentz is a top-5 QB who scored higher than Mahomes last week and at least one other week already this year. I think you did a ton of damage to your team with that move.

Not in this league...lol. Wentz was fine for most leagues, but in this one, he isn't close to Top 5, except for possibly Week 1. Matchups by week between Mahomes and Wentz (in this league), Mahomes makes Wentz look like Kyle Allen.

Week1:

Mahomes - 378  3 TD  Pts=  39.10

Wentz - 313  3 TD  Pts = 38.15

Week 2:

M - 443  4 TD  Pts= 43.05

W - 231  2 TD  Pts= 19.85

Week 3:

M - 374  3 TD  Pts= 37.60

W - 259  2 TD  Pts= 24.25

Week 4:

M - 315  0 TD  Pts= 23.15

W - 160  3 TD  Pts= 21.30

Week 5:

M - 321  1 TD  Pts= 23.75

W - 189  1 TD  Pts= 13.95

3 hours ago, cade_hall said:

Ya done goofed

We Shall See...🙂

I only posted this so that people could get a good laugh, a shock to their system, and/or because I found the trade a tad bit ridiculous myself. But also, to show how each league's scoring system can really affect how we approach our roster decisions for the season and each individual week. Basically, I posted it just to have some fun with it, and to allow you to have some fun at my expense. 😉

6 minutes ago, turbotooslow said:

Yeah I just don't think the gap between Wentz and Mahomes is anywhere near enough to give up Chubb and Waller. Looks like Wentz is still a top-7 QB in your league if I had to guess. And he's been missing his too 2 WRs, or a combo of them, for pretty much the entire season.

I still have Waller. He took Dissly.

I thought about that regarding Wentz, and the same argument could be made for Mahomes regarding Tyreke, Watkins, and that sickening KC backfield. Who knows? We shall see.

2 hours ago, Chaim Witz said:

I still have Waller. He took Dissly.

I thought about that regarding Wentz, and the same argument could be made for Mahomes regarding Tyreke, Watkins, and that sickening KC backfield. Who knows? We shall see.

Just to be clear, I dont think you're screwed, I just think you overpaid. There is a difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8rattoon said:

Injuries happen. Byes happen. Slumps happen. You need depth to CYA through all that.

Some teams are starting to figure out Mahomes/The Chiefs' offense. He's still the #1 QB but I think you gave up way too much for him.

Agreed. I fully admit I'm taking a big risk here, but I am truly getting sniped by these QB bonuses (as are others). 

I'm guessing it wouldn't be as horrible if Chubb wasn't the one I had to send away, if I understand everybody? I improved with Mahomes, with T.Y. over Mike Williams. Definitely lost on Chubb, but at least will still have D.Johnson, A. Jones, M. Gordon, and Singletary to mix and match with. Dissly was going to be gone one way or another after this week, and I figure I'll dump Howard for Herndon during waivers later in the week.

I just really appreciate everybody's feedback, no matter what the opinions are/were.

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

Just to be clear, I dont think you're screwed, I just think you overpaid. There is a difference.

THIS! EXACTLY! There's always risk, so we'll just see how it all shakes out.

44 minutes ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

You got lucky to get Hilton back. If they took DJ or Gordon and you got nothing back that might’ve been worse.

See, OP, this is the problem with such an extremely long post. I had no idea you got Hilton back in the deal. I had to look for a minute to even verify that. And you only mention it after the fact, nowhere near the part where you say what you gave up. That makes it much better, but still think you gave up a lot.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, turbotooslow said:

See, OP, this is the problem with such an extremely long post. I had no idea you got Hilton back in the deal. I had to look for a minute to even verify that. And you only mention it after the fact, nowhere near the part where you say what you gave up. That makes it much better, but still think you gave up a lot.

I made it about 2 paragraphs in before my ADD kicked in. 

3 hours ago, turbotooslow said:

I said it in the second sentence of the second paragraph, right smack dab in the middle of what I was giving up. 

It isn't a big deal, but I thought you may have missed that.