[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stefon Diggs to Buffalo

Shorttynaz

34 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Wait, they just gave up all that for Diggs and Hopkins walks for literally dog poop??? What am I missing here? 

1 was a salary dump as Hopkins wants to redo his contract,  and they grew tired of him.  Diggs was happy with his deal, just wanted to be elsewhere 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Wait, they just gave up all that for Diggs and Hopkins walks for literally dog poop??? What am I missing here? 

I keep thinking I am missing something.  Diggs went for a 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, and a 4th next year.  Nuk goes for a 2nd rounder and DJ.  Nuk had 3 yrs left, Diggs 4, both wanted out, and both had similar contracts money wise.  I think Houston fans are literally going to want to kill BoB or drink themselves to death, or maybe just stop watching.  I understand Nuk wants to upgrade his contract which diminishes his value some but this is perplexing. 

Edited by purplemonster

1 minute ago, purplemonster said:

I keep thinking I am missing something.  Diggs went for a 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, and a 4th next year.  Nuk goes for a 2nd rounder and DJ.  Nuk had 3 yrs left, Diggs 4, both wanted out, and both had similar contracts.  I think Houston fans are literally going to want to kill BoB or drink themselves to death, or maybe just stop watching.   

Agree. If Diggs went for all that, teams would certainly line up with handfuls of #1 picks for Nuk. He's about as elite as they come. The Texans front office is completely incompetent. 

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

wow.  Now I like Diggs, don't get me wrong... but....  there are late round 1 and round 2-3 WRs in the draft that I'd take before Diggs and all those sacrificed picks. 

I was shocked, I wasn't even sure we'd get a 1st round draft pick.  I thought they might have to settle for a 2nd if he made too much noise.  To say I am pleasantly surprised is an understatement.  Nuk >> Diggs

On 2020-03-17 at 11:23 PM, purplemonster said:

Nuk >> Diggs

Absolutely,  but Nuk was demanding to redo his deal, and I think owners and coaches are tired of this.  You agreed to a 5 yr deal, play it out.  Cam wanted to redo his deal as well, and they signed bridgewater,  told cam to find his own deal.  When I agreed to my 5 yr deal with my employer,  I didn't start asking for more each yr, I've worked every day for what we agreed to.  Athletes should be acting like better role models then entitled divas .  Be a man, do what you agreed to do.  Prove your signature (and name) mean something 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Absolutely,  but Nuk was demanding to redo his deal, and I think owners and coaches are tired of this.  You agreed to a 5 yr deal, play it out.  Cam wanted to redo his deal as well, and they signed bridgewater,  told cam to find his own deal.  When I agreed to my 5 yr deal with my employer,  I didn't start asking for more each yr, I've worked every day for what we agreed to.  Athletes should be acting like better role models then entitled divas .  Be a man, do what you agreed to do.  Prove your signature (and name) mean something 

I completely disagree. Employees have the right to leave if they don't like their contract and they can also suffer the consequences. Be a role model about contracts? To who? Other athletes? Additionally, Nuk never made this public. He never badmouthed the Texans. We don't know what happened behind closed doors, but if he asked for more money, that's his prerogative. Owners are quick to cut bait with under-performing players, why can't it be vice versa? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

I understand and people feel differently about this.  Some people say well the market changed and if you were an employee and people of your worth were getting paid a lot more you'd ask for a raise.  Other people say well if you are going to do that then don't sign a long term contract and you should honor your contract.  The athletes clearly believe the former, the owners the latter, and the fans somewhat in between.  Julio was at 22, Thomas 20, Cooper 20,  OBJ 18.

1 minute ago, Shaft said:

I completely disagree. Employees have the right to leave if they don't like their contract and they can also suffer the consequences. Be a role model about contracts? To who? Other athletes? Additionally, Nuk never made this public. He never badmouthed the Texans. We don't know what happened behind closed doors, but if he asked for more money, that's his prerogative. Owners are quick to cut bait with under-performing players, why can't it be vice versa? 

You sign a 5 yr deal, and leave for a competitor you will be sued.  In hockey all deals are guaranteed,  I dont understand this about football,  but it's what the players agreed to.   Owners are following the rules, a player reneging on a deal and sitting out , is poor imo.  Nobody forced them to sign a deal, or that deal, honor it.

15 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

You sign a 5 yr deal, and leave for a competitor you will be sued.  In hockey all deals are guaranteed,  I dont understand this about football,  but it's what the players agreed to.   Owners are following the rules, a player reneging on a deal and sitting out , is poor imo.  Nobody forced them to sign a deal, or that deal, honor it.

But contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL, there's the difference as you mentioned; therefore, players should be looking out for themselves. You combine a violent sport, with nonguaranteed contracts, AND teams who can cut players to save cost, AND the results are holdouts. Also, the other major sports don't have franchise tags which forces a player to stay with a team. All of these variables are the reasons there will continue to be holdouts in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

But contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL, there's the difference as you mentioned; therefore, players should be looking out for themselves. You combine a violent sport, with nonguaranteed contracts, AND teams who can cut players to save cost, AND the results are holdouts. Also, the other major sports don't have franchise tags which forces a player to stay with a team. All of these variables are the reasons there will continue to be holdouts in the NFL.  

This ∆.    Non guaranteed contacts are the difference. 

4 hours ago, millworkguy said:

But Bill O'Brien and the Texans are idiots for letting Nuk go for so little. You know since every team that would trade for him was totally willing to redo his contract and pay whatever he was demanding.

I understand why NFL players want to redo their deals, limited time to play and some deals they're playing under did not represent their value. But the owners don't have to agree, and the players don't much leverage except the ugly holdout. I've never signed any long term employment contract that stipulated what I would be paid with some sort of annual increase or anything. But then I've been at the same place for 30+ years, feel I'm well compensated and appreciated. Salary started at X and there's been regular increases as well as some forms of bonuses. If I wasn't happy and wanted more I could walk at any time. 

3 hours ago, Shaft said:

If the contracts were guaranteed they'd be for far less. 

Also the players should fight for these things if they are important, instead of making sure they can smoke weed and not be tested for it. I guess we know what's important, or possibly what was more likely to be allowed by the owners without some major concession by the players. I remember players getting angry that Goodell could suspend for stuff "how can he be the judge, jury and executioner?"  because you allowed it in your contract with the league.