[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The right way to do Social Distancing

Dcat

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

How do you know 9% die when practically nobody has been tested? Millions probably have it right now. I don't know anybody whos dropped dead.

The link I posted, has that %, of resolved cases.

Check it out, obviously this isn't over by April

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The real fatality % is likely to be lower due to the fact that there are so many untested people who are infected.   But I think people are missing the point that the fatality rate is going to skyrocket beyond fathomable limits when the hospitals are overwhelmed.  Timing is everything.  It's all about flattening that curve because the hospitals can only do so much to get ready and we will not have the needed number of beds, ventilators, gowns, masks etc.  The possibility that many healthcare workers will be infected and unavailable as well.  Social Distancing is the ONLY current plan that offers hope of keeping that fatality number down.

Likely, but if we are out of hospital beds, and critical medicine isnt moving,  the end % maybe higher and we cant deal with the load on our system. 

My wife works in a hospital,  we are isolating as I assume she WILL get it, and therefore all of us, and I dont want to pass it on to others 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

The link I posted, has that %, of resolved cases.

Check it out, obviously this isn't over by April

No, it definitely won't be over by April but like any other virus it will severely weaken and burn itself out over time. You are definitely better off getting it in a month than you are now. And kudos to your wife, she's gotta be physically and mentally spent at this point. 

Edited by League_Champion
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Yes!! If everyone is worried about social distancing than they should only allow 20-50 customers in at a time and eliminate the lines somehow. And many people still have to work, Walmart was a zoo as well. 

My understanding is that is now happening here.  One in, one out.  I was there last week (Thurs and Fri) and it was like nothing I've ever seen.  Black Friday times ten.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:25 AM, Shaft said:

This is the key point and why a lot of colleges shut down. Those kids would've brought all of their stuff back to the campus and infected everyone.

Instead they carry it back to wherever they live, and whatever part time job they have preparing your food and beverages. YUMMY

As somebody who is now working at home indefinitely, whose church and gym closed, in an area where all restaurants and bars are closed, shopping malls, and many other places, I'm basically in isolation, I'm not self quarantined but its pretty close. I was at the grocery store yesterday, and joked with the cashier as we were finishing up that "even we are not observing proper social distance, way less than 6 feet between us. Then as I walk away I see she grabs her Purell and squirts some in her hands cleaning them. I still cannot find the stuff, but haven't been running to every store at every hour of the day either. For now some rubbing alcohol in a squirt bottle will have to do, when I'm out of the house. 

What was surprising for me to learn is that many people I work with are also struggling to work remotely, even though some already do that with some regularity (1-2 times a week). And quite a few of these people have one or more spouse, kids, pets at home with them (at least part of the day). For me its just a matter of staying occupied, trying to get out of the house regularly for a bit each day, and during the evening pushing all the bad stuff aside for some entertainment and a couple adult beverages. 

Once the weather is a bit warmer and less rain I'll get the motorcycle back on the road and start taking some rides. I'll need to plan accordingly, either pack food or make sure that there is some place to get a bite to go wherever I'm headed. I know the government may frown on me moving around freely maybe 100 miles or more away from home, when we're supposed to basically "stay home, remain in your local community" but I need my mental health therapy.

Just now, stevegrab said:

For now some rubbing alcohol in a squirt bottle will have to do, when I'm out of the house. 

Found a recipe online

3 parts rubbing alcohol

1 part aloe vera 

and 10 drops some lemon oil or essential oils for the odor

mix with a spoon, then blend together

Edited by millworkguy

19 hours ago, Gopher said:

My understanding is that is now happening here.  One in, one out.  I was there last week (Thurs and Fri) and it was like nothing I've ever seen.  Black Friday times ten.

Northeast Ohio has been hit pretty hard, and all of Ohio has been near the leading edge of closing things down. However I have yet to hear about any limits being placed on number of people in a grocery or other store that is open. When I was there Saturday afternoon it was very crowded, from the aisles (with workers nearly on top of each other restocking shelves) to the front area by registers. Yesterday around 7PM it was less crowded, and many of the items which were unavailable on Saturday (TP, bottled water, bread) were available, but in limited quantities and variety, and still no hand sanitzer at all. Cashier told me they are restocking regularly but stuff like Purell is just not available. 

3 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Found a recipe online

3 parts rubbing alcohol

1 part aloe vera 

Thanks, I've seen something like that as well, I think I have the other 2 ingredients and may try that. For me its mostly when I'm out of my own home that I feel the need, and many places (at least recently) where I was around others (work, church, gym, store) had either gel sanitizer or wipes available. 

Just now, stevegrab said:

Thanks, I've seen something like that as well, I think I have the other 2 ingredients and may try that. For me its mostly when I'm out of my own home that I feel the need, and many places (at least recently) where I was around others (work, church, gym, store) had either gel sanitizer or wipes available. 

As my wife works in a hospital, we have it at the door, everyone uses it as soon as we enter the house.  I was reading they think the virus can live in the air (from a cough) for about 3 hours, and on the surface for 24-48 hours.  Pump gas, get cash back etc etc, 

we passed 21,000 new cases already today, yesterday was the 1st time over 20,000 after days of 15,000 and we still have 8+ hours to go today.

19 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Found a recipe online

3 parts rubbing alcohol

1 part aloe vera 

Not just any rubbing alcohol though. Your sanitizer mix must be at least 60 percent alcohol to be effective. But it's better to get way above that—aim for a minimum of 75 percent. A bottle of 99 percent isopropyl alcohol is the best thing to use. 

My wife bought (3) 32oz bottles of Spa Grade Sanitizer for about $5 a bottle. It's still out there if you know where to look. 

Well I have what I have, which is only 70% alcohol, that was what I had in the medicine chest and the fresh bottle in the store. So as long as I don't dilute it much it should work. Doing 25% aloe vera would cut the alcohol to about 55%.  

Never had the need for hand sanitizer much, so I never had the stuff around. And early on I didn't think it was necessary to have it. I wash my hands and generally avoid getting sick much. But now if I leave the house, I want to have something with me when I go elsewhere and touch things. 

I'm tempted to go get a small empty pump bottle from the store, and take it to work and grab some from the giant bottle that is sitting outside the bathrooms (there's maybe 5 people at our office, probably more like 2-3, compared to nearly 40 normally, so we should have plenty).

How's everyone doing? This Shelter-at-Home stuff will increase two things: December-January record # of newborns and an unprecedented increase in divorce filings.

And how about if you have a wife that has gone full Hudson at least once or twice every day?

I wanted to get something in Costco and she said not to come home if I go in there in a tone of voice that I haven't heard in 3 decades.   

Testing went from being a viable way to fight the virus to a way to just show where hot spots exist. Basically, testing is nothing more than a lag measure at this point. It does serve a purpose by showing people where it's bad and hopefully that makes them stay home and isolated to slow the spread. My fear is that people and leadership view areas without a lot of cases as safe. However, the problem is that just because you don't see numbers for the virus in areas doesn't mean it's not there. It likely just means that enough testing hasn't been done in that area. The fact that it transmits so easily and that people can be asymptomatic and transmit it is a huge issue. So just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there and not being spread. I'm not sure if this helped make my point but I hope it did. 

Hint: It doesn't matter how hard you look you are going to have to do something different to see it. 

Edited by keggerz