[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roger Goodell gives up salary

Shaft

Nice gesture but he gave up $4-$5 million of the $40 million per year he receives. I'd be willing to take an even bigger pay cut if I was still making $35 million.

13 hours ago, DMD said:

Nice gesture but he gave up $4-$5 million of the $40 million per year he receives. I'd be willing to take an even bigger pay cut if I was still making $35 million.

Agreed.  A 10% haircut when you're making 8 digits really doesn't amount to much.  

Anytime I read about Goodell's salary I get sick to my stomach.  Here I am fighting paycheck to paycheck, just got a 20% salary cut but working the same hours, and this jerkward is making millions upon millions.

If the rest of the world’s mega millionaires each gave up 10% of their 2020 earnings that would solve a lot of people’s financial problems.  I am not sure why this gesture is getting such a negative reaction.  If he had not done this it probably would have gone unmentioned.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

9 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

If the rest of the world’s mega millionaires each gave up 10% of their 2020 earnings that would solve a lot of people’s financial problems.  I am not sure why this gesture is getting such a negative reaction.  If he had not done this it probably would have gone unmentioned.

He's basically giving his salary back to the ownership because they are losing game revenue. I just don't see that as such a noble gesture, especially since it's really a drop in the bucket to him.

11 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

He's basically giving his salary back to the ownership because they are losing game revenue. I just don't see that as such a noble gesture, especially since it's really a drop in the bucket to him.

It's also one hell of a tax credit that his accountant will surely recoup. 

8 hours ago, rajncajn said:

It's not noble because it's a drop in the bucket?  10% of anyone's salary is significant. Reports said it started last month and will be ongoing. But everyone has their own perspective on this.

10 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Try and look at it another way...

How many NFL employees salaries is he paying with the money he is giving back, people that otherwise may get furloughed / laid off?

Again, just not understanding the animosity towards the action.

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

It's not noble because it's a drop in the bucket?  10% of anyone's salary is significant. Reports said it started last month and will be ongoing. But everyone has their own perspective on this.

4-5 million from 40. Whatever shall he do with only 35 million this year?!?! I wish I could sacrifice like that.

Yeah, I applaud the effort, but I'd applaud it even more if he were donating it to charity or using it to give back to the fans that have put all that money in his pockets. I just don't see the nobility in letting your millionaire bosses keep 5 million of the 40 they're giving you.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Try and look at it another way...

How many NFL employees salaries is he paying with the money he is giving back, people that otherwise may get furloughed / laid off?

Again, just not understanding the animosity towards the action.

Probably very little honestly. The article says that employees are still having to take a 5-15% pay cut and many are still being furloughed. This is a gesture, but it's insignificant in comparison to the effect those other employees will be seeing. I guess if I was an NFL employee I would be ok with a 15% cut in pay rather than laid off, but that 5 or 15% is going to hurt me much more than him giving up 5 million of the exorbitant amount of money he's still going to bring home.

There are some who say the wealthy have it easy and these same will say the poor don't work hard enough. Everyone has their perspective I guess, but I just find it ironic that there are some who attack both ends of the spectrum.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

4-5 million from 40. Whatever shall he do with only 35 million this year?!?! I wish I could sacrifice like that.

Yeah, I applaud the effort, but I'd applaud it even more if he were donating it to charity or using it to give back to the fans that have put all that money in his pockets. I just don't see the nobility in letting your millionaire bosses keep 5 million of the 40 they're giving you.

Time will tell if this will continue. If so, it will definitely be more than 5 million. I understand the criticism, but I also see it as he could've kept it like many others are doing.  I hate the way he runs the league, but I guess his salary going to "0" is a matter of perspective.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:54 AM, Shaft said:

Most people hate Goodell and blame him for everything they don't like about the NFL, instead of blaming the owners (including the for their favorite team) that has put him in power. 

I find it to be pretty childish and have pointed it out many times, to the criticism of many.

It's not that I hate Goodell, it's that I think he's grossly overpaid, as are CEO's in general.  Many have gotten the jobs through connections or cronyism rather than sheer ability, and even when they fail they are handsomely rewarded.  Look at Dennis Muilenberg, Boeing CEO.  Couldn't have done a worse job and damn near cratered the company and he'll walk away with probably close to 100 million (my guess, I haven't looked this up).  Or John Stumpf for Wells-Fargo.  Absolutely butchered the company and he'll walk away with easy 100 million plus.  That and the games they play with stock buybacks, options, stacking the Board with buddies who approve massive pay raises, and the corporate bailouts they expect when they overextend themselves but aren't willing to extend to the average Joe.  I am not a "eat the rich" kind of guy, I don't expect things to be equal, I like capitalism, I just think they are grossly overvalued and they have some systemic advantages to inflate their pay.  So when I see a guy like Goodell throwing what for him are literal scraps I reflexively gag a little.  But good on him, he didn't need to do it, so give him credit.  

On 5/3/2020 at 2:29 PM, Shaft said:

Wow, the hate is amazing. :lol:

People love some Roger Goodell.

It really is!  Dude gave up 4 million dollars!  That's 1/10 of what he makes. I wouldn't want to give up 1/10 of what I make, even if, like him, I'd be fine compared to many others. It's my damn money!  I should be punished, mocked or criticized because of the job I have, which still pays me my full salary where others are unemployed or are taking % cuts?

9 hours ago, irish said:

It really is!  Dude gave up 4 million dollars!  That's 1/10 of what he makes. I wouldn't want to give up 1/10 of what I make, even if, like him, I'd be fine compared to many others. It's my damn money!  I should be punished, mocked or criticized because of the job I have, which still pays me my full salary where others are unemployed or are taking % cuts?

Is it really that Nobel?  He makes 40 million a year not including bonuses, has banked over 300 million, has full access to a private Jet owned by the NFL, the NFL credit card, NFL leased vehicles, Healthcare, retirement, etc. And it's a nice tax ride off, rich people problems. 

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I'm not ready to anoint him Man Of The Year either. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-does-roger-goodell-earn-000401052.html

Edited by League_Champion
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Most people hate Goodell and blame him for everything they don't like about the NFL, instead of blaming the owners (including the for their favorite team) that has put him in power. 

I find it to be pretty childish and have pointed it out many times, to the criticism of many.

I just love blanket, passive aggressive statements like this.

I've disliked Goodell for just about as long as he's been in his position for the decisions he's made, the attitude he has and his selective and inequitable punishments. Why would I blame the owners as a whole or specifically the owner of my team for decisions that Goodell has made and actions that he's taken simply because the owners as a whole voted to put him in that position? Do you think every single owner voted to put him there? Do you think every single owner agrees with every decision he makes?

As for this instance, I don't see anyone really criticizing him for giving up some of his salary. I just don't think a lot of us see it as big of a deal as it's made out to be, especially due to the fact that many of us think he makes way more than he should given the performance he's provided from a fan's perspective and, again, 5 from 40 million.

Edited by rajncajn