[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Discussion if no season in 2020

Brentastic

We should start a discussion about what we will do with contracts etc should there be no 2020 season. I personally think we should have the option to count and not count contract years.

In other words, say someone on your roster has 1 year remaining (RFA in 2021). If there is no season in 2020 I think owners should have the option of letting the 1 year go or not.  Same with all contract years.  5 stays 5 OR goes to 4 next year, owner's decision.

I'm just brainstorming but I think we should have a plan NOW before we lock in contracts and finalize our rosters etc... Better to be prepared than not. I'm not married to that idea but I can see scenarios where fairness of a lost year comes into question so I think we should be prepared and have a plan that has been voted on before it gets too late.

Has the NFL broached how contracts would be impacted, i.e. franchise tags if the season is cancelled or shortened? I know the NFL is talking about reducing the salary cap substantially but not how they will handle contracts if'n no season.  I think we'd find a way to align somehow with what ever the NFL deems. 

• Like 1

Contracts are 1 issue I think either they all either stay the same (open contracts would remain open ect) or like Brent said you can choose to let 1 of the years go if you want but you don't have to.  This also brings me to a Gronk situation.  If any guy retires we should have that kind of rule where next year you should be able to keep his contract the same or reduce a year being your choice.  So if you had Gronk for 2 years last year he should still be 2 years not 1 year and if 1 year not a RFA if you so choose.  You shouldn't get jipped for guys retiring then coming back.

The bigger issue is the rookie draft.  Does it just roll over the same team gets #1 pick ect ?  What happens with that.

God please let there be football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brentastic said:

I think for rookie draft we should dice roll or something. I would not be in favor of keeping same order. 

Your finished like first place in every league or close to it so of course you want a dice roll  :lol:

• Like 1

The teams that are bad will say that picks should be same.  Teams that are good will say a draw.  No right answer here.  Can't really be giving a team that finished in the playoffs the previous year the #1 pick.  Also it be terrible for a team that tore their team to rebuild and draw a late pick.

No right answer really on this one.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Henry Muto said:

The teams that are bad will say that picks should be same.  Teams that are good will say a draw.  No right answer here.  Can't really be giving a team that finished in the playoffs the previous year the #1 pick.  Also it be terrible for a team that tore their team to rebuild and draw a late pick.

No right answer really on this one.

Break league into 2 tiers based on last year’s standings and do random draw. If you’re a bottom 7 team you’re guaranteed a top 7 pick etc... 

2 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

Contracts are 1 issue I think either they all either stay the same (open contracts would remain open ect) or like Brent said you can choose to let 1 of the years go if you want but you don't have to.  This also brings me to a Gronk situation.  If any guy retires we should have that kind of rule where next year you should be able to keep his contract the same or reduce a year being your choice.  So if you had Gronk for 2 years last year he should still be 2 years not 1 year and if 1 year not a RFA if you so choose.  You shouldn't get jipped for guys retiring then coming back.

The bigger issue is the rookie draft.  Does it just roll over the same team gets #1 pick ect ?  What happens with that.

God please let there be football.

Didn't consider the draft.  Granted, I think rolling it to the next year as well makes sense as college would also be suspended so we would only get a snapshot of a players ability based on the prior year.  Question would be, would an athlete in college this year chose to go to the NFL without a college year or would they stay another year, unless they are a senior...  

Whole bunch of chit that we never experianced!

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

If college doesn't play then aren't a lot of kids ineligible still? Next year's draft might be the worst ever

I think you need to be 3 years out of high school so they would all enter draft as they normally would I believe.

• Like 1