[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Brees

whomper

51 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It's amazing. You would think that Drew Brees owns 20 slaves. It's a disgrace what they are doing to him. 

All they are saying is he doesn't understand. With that being said, Brees has the right to an opinion and they have right to criticize. Kaep expressed his view and he got destroyed. Americans always overreact. Brees should've never apologized and just stand by his feelings. 

23 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Brees should've never apologized and just stand by his feelings. 

I totally agree, that's where he went wrong but everyone is scared to say what they really feel right now. I don't think there is anyone in the World who isn't appalled by what happened to Mr. Floyd. He was intentionally murdered by that a-hole cop and he deserves to die along with his crooked buddies. I can't apologize for for what happened 300 years ago or even 50 years ago. I wasn't there, it wasn't me. But we do need to make sure everyone is granted the same opportunities and justices TODAY. 

• Like 1

Well, that was easy...on to the next.

Michael Thomas:

"One of my brothers made a public statement yesterday that I disagreed with. He apologized & I accept it because that’s what we are taught to do as Christians. Now back to the movement! #GeorgeFloyd"

Alvin Kamara:

"I’ve had a day to digest the comments that Drew made. I was disappointed and hurt. We talked and i explained to him where he dropped the ball and he understood. But now it’s time for us to be part of the solution, not the problem. We have to educate to progress"

7 hours ago, LordOpie said:

With all the stupid crap i say... I'm glad I'm not famous or on social media

So true

The popular opinion isn't necessarily the key part although it could affect the fan base and sales I suppose. The main problem to me is this alienates some teammates and opponents which does affect Brees and the Saints in general.  Overall it sounds like he is a generous guy but this was one time to keep his opinion to himself out of respect to his teammates.  There is a time and place and this wasn't it.  That's not my problem or your problem but it is Brees' problem.  Part of being a leader is keeping the peace and knowing when to share or not, and understanding that other people have a different experience than you.  He needs to go to war with these guys and telling them he thinks they are disrespectful to the US and unpatriotic while they are suffering challenges he doesn't face is going to drive a rift he didn't need.

And FWIW, the Star Spangled Banner was written in 1812 or 14 or whenever it was and you'll notice "land of the free" in there with the glaring contradiction that black people were anything but free at the time and it was still sung unironically.  I know that was a long time ago and many died to rectify that wrong, but suffice it to say our country has a difficult history with this issue and your experience may not be the same as others. 

I also think it's worthwhile to read Tony Dungy's comments: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-tony-dungy-reaction-comments-protest-pat-mcafee-show/amp%3ffbclid=IwAR1MRMm3Og7Ch92XPpcIPmJW9nDr1tSPZXpVZSPhS2bzEsvbeyWeceBEsBs

Edited by purplemonster
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

The popular opinion isn't necessarily the key part although it could affect the fan base and sales I suppose. The main problem to me is this alienates some teammates and opponents which does affect Brees and the Saints in general.  Overall it sounds like he is a generous guy but this was one time to keep his opinion to himself out of respect to his teammates.  There is a time and place and this wasn't it.  That's not my problem or your problem but it is Brees' problem.  Part of being a leader is keeping the peace and knowing when to share or not, and understanding that other people have a different experience than you.  He needs to go to war with these guys and telling them he thinks they are disrespectful to the US and unpatriotic while they are suffering challenges he doesn't face is going to drive a rift he didn't need.

And FWIW, the Star Spangled Banner was written in 1812 or 14 or whenever it was and you'll notice "land of the free" in there with the glaring contradiction that black people were anything but free at the time and it was still sung unironically.  I know that was a long time ago and many died to rectify that wrong, but suffice it to say our country has a difficult history with this issue and your experience may not be the same as others. 

I also think it's worthwhile to read Tony Dungy's comments: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-tony-dungy-reaction-comments-protest-pat-mcafee-show/amp%3ffbclid=IwAR1MRMm3Og7Ch92XPpcIPmJW9nDr1tSPZXpVZSPhS2bzEsvbeyWeceBEsBs

Very well said PM, nice job.

Saw this, this morning.   Lebron james reminding fox they told him to be quite and dribble the ball, while saying drew Brees has a right to an opinion (where James doesn't get the same respect, to have an opinion)

https://theblast.com/c/lebron-james-fox-news-laura-Ingraham-tweet-drew-brees-shut-up-and-dribble-backlash

The message maybe getting lost, in attempts to change the narrative,  but the truth remains,  there is a problem.

Edited by millworkguy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Saw this, this morning.   Lebron james reminding fox they told him to be quite and dribble the ball, while saying drew Brees has a right to an opinion (where James doesn't get the same respect, to have an opinion)

https://theblast.com/c/lebron-james-fox-news-laura-Ingraham-tweet-drew-brees-shut-up-and-dribble-backlash

The message maybe getting lost, in attempts to change the narrative,  but the truth remains,  there is a problem.

Drew Brees was asked a question by a reporter, LeBron wasn't. There's quite the difference. Still, LeBron is certainly entitled to his opinion and entitled to share it with whomever he wishes and should expect and accept that people will disagree with him at times. Laura Ingraham, and most media idiots for that matter, are the one's that need to shut up and just report the news rather than offer their own opinions.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Confused 1

Does anybody remember reading about the former Green Beret (Nate Boyer) who had advised Kaepernick to kneel during the anthem as a protest? He got some more coverage during the time many were saying what Brees basically did, that it is disrespectful to the veterans, the military, or the country as a whole. He disputed that, at least from his perspective.

Well he had something to say about what Brees said, and it was pretty rational and fair, not blasting him nor giving him a free pass. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/former-green-beret-nate-boyer-who-advised-colin-kaepernick-to-kneel-reacts-to-drew-brees-protest-comments/ar-BB152Khs?ocid=spartanntp

8 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Does anybody remember reading about the former Green Beret (Nate Boyer) who had advised Kaepernick to kneel during the anthem as a protest? He got some more coverage during the time many were saying what Brees basically did, that it is disrespectful to the veterans, the military, or the country as a whole. He disputed that, at least from his perspective.

Well he had something to say about what Brees said, and it was pretty rational and fair, not blasting him nor giving him a free pass. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/former-green-beret-nate-boyer-who-advised-colin-kaepernick-to-kneel-reacts-to-drew-brees-protest-comments/ar-BB152Khs?ocid=spartanntp

Steve, thanks. I think that's a good read. It's unfortunate that respecting other viewpoints and perspectives has become forgotten in this country. Years ago, we had a nasty and intense debate about Kaep when the kneeling occurred. At least this thread has remained relatively cordial. 

40 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

There is a difference between being asked your opinion and giving it rather than going around pushing it.

You're grasping at straws.  There is zero difference.  Brees knew he was on a national platform.  He knew that question was going to be asked.  In fact, it's pretty obvious that his response was practiced.  He might have done the interview specifically because he wanted to make that response.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

You're grasping at straws.  There is zero difference.  Brees knew he was on a national platform.  He knew that question was going to be asked.  In fact, it's pretty obvious that his response was practiced.  He might have done the interview specifically because he wanted to make that response.

He did an interview with Yahoo Finance to set up that specific Q&A. Yeah, because that's what Drew Brees does. 

17 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Yep, he wanted to make sure everyone knows how patriotic he is.  Listen to his response.  It is clearly rehearsed.

Whatever dude. I've given a very similar response off the cuff multiple times because that's the way I feel. I don't see others as disrespecting the flag it anthem because they feel differently about it than I do, but I myself would feel like I'm disrespecting all those people who sacrificed and suffered to give me that choice by kneeling.

See how easy that was? I guess I've been rehearsing that very response this whole time too. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

You where not asked your opinion,  and in my opinion,  your pushing your opinion 

I'm also not a multi million dollar superstar athlete that hundreds of thousands of people look up to and revere. If I had that type of influence over people I'd be much more careful about trying to influence people through my opinions.

5 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I don't see others as disrespecting the flag it anthem because 

See how easy that was? I guess I've been rehearsing that very response this whole time too. :rolleyes:

flag it anthem?  You need to rehearse a bit more.  His speech is polished.  And well-written.  He is a good speaker.  He doesn't pause or collect his thoughts even once during it.  100% canned speech.

9 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

flag it anthem?  You need to rehearse a bit more.  His speech is polished.  And well-written.  He is a good speaker.  He doesn't pause or collect his thoughts even once during it.  100% canned speech.

You've never had auto correct select the wrong word for you? Flag OR anthem. Are we resorting to spelling and grammar corrections now?

Have you listened to very many interviews with Brees? I have. But I'm sure you know better than I would.

Edited by rajncajn

35 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Are we resorting to spelling and grammar corrections now?

My point was that what you wrote wasn't polished like his speech even though you wrote "See how easy that was? I guess I've been rehearsing that very response this whole time too."  And it is far easier to write something polished than speak it.

Edited by michaelredd9

5 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

My point was that what you wrote wasn't polished like his speech even though you wrote "See how easy that was? I guess I've been rehearsing that very response this whole time too."  And it is far easier to write something polished than speak it.

You're going to believe whatever you want to believe. It's a stupid idea, setting up an interview with Yahoo Finance just to prove how patriotic you are, but you go on believing that, because like i said, you know, that's what Drew Brees does. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

You're going to believe whatever you want to believe. It's a stupid idea, setting up an interview with Yahoo Finance just to prove how patriotic you are, but you go on believing that, because like i said, you know, that's what Drew Brees does. :rolleyes:

Brees wanted to push his opinion.  Exactly the same thing that LeBron did.  You're trying to come up with a reason why it is okay for Brees but not LeBron but all you're doing is rationalizing.  You've never been able to talk about the Saints objectively.

17 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Brees wanted to push his opinion.  Exactly the same thing that LeBron did.  You're trying to come up with a reason why it is okay for Brees but not LeBron but all you're doing is rationalizing.  You've never been able to talk about the Saints objectively.

Right, because that's what Brees does. He manipulates the media so that he can push his opinions rather than simply post them on his Twitter account. Makes perfect sense.

And I never said that it wasn't ok for LeBron to voice his opinions. I just don't personally care for celebrities in general using their influence to push their opinions. And that goes for all celebrities, not just blacks and not just athletes. He's certainly entitled to do so. All I said was there was a difference in pushing your opinions and being asked for it.

Edited by rajncajn