[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Brees

whomper

22 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Polished or not, Brees knew what he was saying. He was smart enough to know what's happening nationally and what his response meant. 

Can't argue with that. He should have known better and that's one of the main reasons why I don't agree that it was a prepared response. He said what he felt before thinking about how it may be perceived in the current climate and that is not like him in the least.

Huh, look at that. Me, of all people, being objective about the Saints.

Edited by rajncajn

On 6/5/2020 at 12:04 AM, purplemonster said:

The popular opinion isn't necessarily the key part although it could affect the fan base and sales I suppose. The main problem to me is this alienates some teammates and opponents which does affect Brees and the Saints in general.  Overall it sounds like he is a generous guy but this was one time to keep his opinion to himself out of respect to his teammates.  There is a time and place and this wasn't it.  That's not my problem or your problem but it is Brees' problem.  Part of being a leader is keeping the peace and knowing when to share or not, and understanding that other people have a different experience than you.  He needs to go to war with these guys and telling them he thinks they are disrespectful to the US and unpatriotic while they are suffering challenges he doesn't face is going to drive a rift he didn't need.

And FWIW, the Star Spangled Banner was written in 1812 or 14 or whenever it was and you'll notice "land of the free" in there with the glaring contradiction that black people were anything but free at the time and it was still sung unironically.  I know that was a long time ago and many died to rectify that wrong, but suffice it to say our country has a difficult history with this issue and your experience may not be the same as others. 

I also think it's worthwhile to read Tony Dungy's comments: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-tony-dungy-reaction-comments-protest-pat-mcafee-show/amp%3ffbclid=IwAR1MRMm3Og7Ch92XPpcIPmJW9nDr1tSPZXpVZSPhS2bzEsvbeyWeceBEsBs

This are some really solid thoughts. 

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shaft said:

Polished or not, Brees knew what he was saying. He was smart enough to know what's happening nationally and what his response meant. 

Did Brees see the light or have a change of heart over night? Very unlikely. He's pandering to the masses because he's in the middle of a full on pile on. He did the right thing issuing an apology but to me it was more to save his ass than anything. 

22 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Did Brees see the light or have a change of heart over night? Very unlikely. He's pandering to the masses because he's in the middle of a full on pile on. He did the right thing issuing an apology but to me it was more to save his ass than anything. 

I see it like this, and I don't think anyone who has been in a relationship will disagree. It's more than a pile on. Those teammates are his family, it's a marriage. If my wife just had a manurety day because someone groped her, it's NOT the best time to say: "Well, honey, did you entice him? What were you wearing? Maybe you're overreacting."  You and every other man knows to SHUT THE FUGG UP! Because you will be on the streets the next day! You can feel what you feel, but it's awful timing to express it. That's what Brees did and his "family" reacted. 

7 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I see it like this, and I don't think anyone who has been in a relationship will disagree. It's more than a pile on. Those teammates are his family, it's a marriage. If my wife just had a manurety day because someone groped her, it's NOT the best time to say: "Well, honey, did you entice him? What were you wearing? Maybe you're overreacting."  You and every other man knows to SHUT THE FUGG UP! Because you will be on the streets the next day! You can feel what you feel, but it's awful timing to express it. That's what Brees did and his "family" reacted. 

Did Huddle just edit out my "Sh....ty"? :pflag:

Edited by Shaft

21 hours ago, LordOpie said:

You're pathetic. And only one of two people i blocked on my phone in my entire life for harassment.

It's just too easy. 

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

I hope you're right and he did have an epiphany overnight. That being said he should never of received this treatment. He got jobbed out and looks like a jobber 

I feel that Drew Brees body of work was all he needed to prove his character to me. These social media civil right pioneers dont impress me at all when its just words and no action. Brees has a body of work of action and he had to do the walk of shame .  The social media aftermath of this tragedy is everyone tripping over themselves to show how anti racist they are and how white people are the debbil . When I see people march or make a donation or physically do something to help, I commend you and take you seriously and I appreciate your true efforts to a cause you believe in  . When I see you just post pandering nonsense that in your mind makes you feel like hoards of black people are going to carry you to the barbecue , It rings very hollow to me . Skin in the game . Its more than pretty words and cute memes and Drew Brees has a ton of it .

A real " family teammate" may have said to everyone during the time Drew was getting lambasted , before you roast him , look at all of the good he has done for the black communities . The fact that he disagrees with kneeling during the anthem shouldn't negate the fact that he has proven to be an ally in the plights that face black people

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

. If my wife just had a manurety day because someone groped her, it's NOT the best time to say: "Well, honey, did you entice him? What were you wearing? Maybe you're overreacting."  You and every other man knows to SHUT THE FUGG UP! Because you will be on the streets the next day! 

If somebody groped my wife (or daughters) My wife wouldnt have the chance to kick me out as I'd already be in jail 

7 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

If somebody groped my wife (or daughters) My wife wouldnt have the chance to kick me out as I'd already be in jail 

That's the point. His teammates feel he should be on their side, instead he made it worst.

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Maybe I admire him too much because I'm incapable of being objective, but this is how I see Drew Brees (as I posted on the Saints board):

He doesn't want to let down his friends, but just as much, Drew wants to be an example for people and especially his kids and I think he felt like he let them down. But what better way to turn that into something positive than to show humility and contrition by admitting your mistakes and working to rectify them?

12 minutes ago, whomper said:

I feel that Drew Brees body of work was all he needed to prove his character to me. These social media civil right pioneers dont impress me at all when its just words and no action. Brees has a body of work of action and he had to do the walk of shame .  The social media aftermath of this tragedy is everyone tripping over themselves to show how anti racist they are and how white people are the debbil . When I see people march or make a donation or physically do something to help, I commend you and take you seriously and I appreciate your true efforts to a cause you believe in  . When I see you just post pandering nonsense that in your mind makes you feel like hoards of black people are going to carry you to the barbecue , It rings very hollow to me . Skin in the game . Its more than pretty words and cute memes and Drew Brees has a ton of it .

A real " family teammate" may have said to everyone during the time Drew was getting lambasted , before you roast him , look at all of the good he has done for the black communities . The fact that he disagrees with kneeling during the anthem shouldn't negate the fact that he has proven to be an ally in the plights that face black people

Everyone just keeps reminding me why I hate social media so much. Either way, it's unfortunate because Brees does have a great body of work. I still say it was bad timing. He's means a lot to Louisiana and Mississippi, I see it every time I go down there. And unfortunately, many people have tarnished their legacies with one incident. I hope it's not the case for Brees.

For the record, some (black athletes) have spoken out and said his backlash is unwarranted. 

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Drew Brees didn't grope anyone, he gave an opinion. Wrong or right it was just an opinion. 

You clearly missed the analogy. If you want to be figurative and literal, his teammates are the ones that got groped. 

Edited by Shaft

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

Drew Brees is the LEAST of the problem. He was an easy target, so stop. 

Stop what? Did you hear me bash Brees? I'm saying there are different perspectives, even from Black athletes. Yes, he's an easy target! Anybody on a platform is an easy target, so stop!

13 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Stop what? Did you hear me bash Brees? I'm saying there are different perspectives, even from Black athletes. Yes, he's an easy target! Anybody on a platform is an easy target, so stop!

No, you weren't bashing him. And I'm not directing this at you personally and I apologise if it seems that way. I just think the whole thing is ridiculous. All I'm saying is that instead of them worrying about what Drew Brees is saying why don't they criticize fellow players who deserve it. How about the Black NFL players that have been involved or arrested this off-season for violent offenses? Where is their outrage for that? They need to be called out, but Brees is low hanging fruit. They just implied that this Man is a racist. So perhaps we need to question what their motives really are. Wouldn't you agree it's flim Flam at best? 

Just now, League_Champion said:

No, you weren't bashing him. And I'm not directing this at you personally and I apologise if it seems that way. I just think the whole thing is ridiculous. All I'm saying is that instead of them worrying about what Drew Brees is saying why don't they criticize fellow players who deserve it. How about the Black NFL players that have been involved or arrested this off-season for violent offenses? Where is their outrage for that? They need to be called out, but Brees is low hanging fruit. They just implied that this Man is a racist. So perhaps we need to question what their motives really are. Wouldn't you agree it's flim Flam at best? 

I'm always up for good dialogue. I'm not arguing against misdirected anger, I think it's a valid point. But Kaep was also alienated and his protest was as peaceful as it gets. When he did it, I say he has the right to do it and he has the right to be penalized for it. I'm just calling a spade a spade. 

With that being said, I think this Barkley and Shaq discussion is spot on:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

I'm always up for good dialogue. I'm not arguing against misdirected anger, I think it's a valid point. But Kaep was also alienated and his protest was as peaceful as it gets. When he did it, I say he has the right to do it and he has the right to be penalized for it. I'm just calling a spade a spade. 

With that being said, I think this Barkley and Shaq discussion is spot on:

Both spot on IMO.

23 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Drew Brees' wife, Brittany, apologizes: 'We are the problem'

With all due respect (none) Drew Brees is a psssy. I'm sorry but now it's just pathetic. What is he over compensating for? 

His wife speaking makes him a p$%^?

He has contradicted himself a number of times. What most people forget is that he did kneel a few years ago before a game. 2017? 2018? 

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

His wife speaking makes him a p$%^?

He has contradicted himself a number of times. What most people forget is that he did kneel a few years ago before a game. 2017? 2018? 

He's all over the place isn't he? Just take a dam stance and stick to it. He's over the top at this point. 

• Like 1