[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Washington Redskins name change: 'Warriors' leading contender

League_Champion

On 7/13/2020 at 8:22 PM, League_Champion said:

I'm all in on Redtails. Seems like a slam dunk to me. Then again it's Dan Snyder. 

I think he may also be selling the team, to be honest.  I think this whole process has pissed him off enough to where he wants out.  He flat out said (in all CAPS, as I remember), that he would NEVER change the name of the team.  I think he saw the writing on the wall... meaning he felt enough heat to where he knew the NFL would pull the rug out from under him, Donald Sterling style.  I bet he sells the team as soon as the name change is announced.

6 hours ago, darin3 said:

I think he may also be selling the team, to be honest.  I think this whole process has pissed him off enough to where he wants out.  He flat out said (in all CAPS, as I remember), that he would NEVER change the name of the team.  I think he saw the writing on the wall... meaning he felt enough heat to where he knew the NFL would pull the rug out from under him, Donald Sterling style.  I bet he sells the team as soon as the name change is announced.

That could be a possibility, I didn't even think of that angle. That could explain why this process has taken so long. I think going with the Redtails is a no brainer. It brings no heat from anyone, they are honoring true heros and it seems like it would be super easy to brand and market. The logo could be cool as hell. 

8 hours ago, darin3 said:

I think this whole process has pissed him off enough to where he wants out.  

Good point.  Our local (which I run) imploded during the past couple of weeks, as several guys are swearing off the NFL this season (if not permanently).  This is just the same thing on a larger scale.

4 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Good point.  Our local (which I run) imploded during the past couple of weeks, as several guys are swearing off the NFL this season (if not permanently).  This is just the same thing on a larger scale.

I'm pretty much to the point where I really couldn't care less if they have a season or not. Even if they do I think it's going to be an incredible cluster****. I hate it for all the people who work for the NFL and businesses who rely on them, but from a league standpoint I honestly don't think I'd miss it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darin3 said:

So, none of the owners want the team?  Lol, maybe trump can get a team this time around 

Well, most of these names were trademarked years ago for little money. Someone might get a big payday if the "last place burgundy and gold team" were to choose one the more popular names.

Like I said before, just chose an animal or inanimate object. Even if you do "redtails," what's going to happen when a fan walks in with black or brown face trying to look like the logo? 

11 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Well, most of these names were trademarked years ago for little money. Someone might get a big payday if the "last place burgundy and gold team" were to choose one the more popular names.

I forgot where I read it, but I believe 1 fan has 44 washington trademarks,  some of them dating from the 90's

42 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I'm pretty much to the point where I really couldn't care less if they have a season or not. Even if they do I think it's going to be an incredible cluster****. I hate it for all the people who work for the NFL and businesses who rely on them, but from a league standpoint I honestly don't think I'd miss it.

Yep.  And love that avvy too!

Edited by CowboysDiehard
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I agree. And I never thought I'd feel that way. The longer this Corona thing goes on the more people realize that they don't need sports in their lives. We've all found other outlets. I was devastated when the NBA shutdown and now I couldn't care less. Baseball can go to hell for all I care. They deserve this.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Who knows? The way things are going someone will find "Eagles" offensive as well. They are coming for all of us. 

Too late.  Our good friends at USA Today already did this a few days ago.  Eagles are going next.  Also, great news! The LA Times is coming after the National Anthem.  I'll leave the google-fu up to the curious on these.

Hallelujah!  All our problems are nearly solved!

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I agree. And I never thought I'd feel that way. The longer this Corona thing goes on the more people realize that they don't need sports in their lives. We've all found other outlets. I was devastated when the NBA shutdown and now I couldn't care less. Baseball can go to hell for all I care. They deserve this.

It's an interesting phenomenon.  It will be an interesting social experiment what happens after this.  I will be curious to see how sports teams fare after this.

Edited by purplemonster

2 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

It's an interesting phenomenon.  It will be an interesting social experiment what happens after this.  I will be interested to see how sports teams fare after this.

Gotta say, I'm quite interested in seeing some hockey.  They have all the teams split onto 2 sites, locked down and everyone remaining (coaches,  g.m., players, bus drivers, etc) are being tested daily till the season is done.  

I've caught the occasional nfl game being replayed,  can't stomach repeating baseball games (was slow enough the 1st time) 

4 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Gotta say, I'm quite interested in seeing some hockey.  They have all the teams split onto 2 sites, locked down and everyone remaining (coaches,  g.m., players, bus drivers, etc) are being tested daily till the season is done.  

I've caught the occasional nfl game being replayed,  can't stomach repeating baseball games (was slow enough juthe 1st time) 

Sounds like prison.  I havent missed baseball much although some diversion would be good occasionally.  Hockey I dont really care that much despite playing growing up.  NFL I care about more but if they can't play they can't play.  Following what the NHL is doing will be tough for 4-5x as many people (rosters, coaches, trainers) and doing it for months and months.  Virtual lockdown conditions for months sounds like that would suck to me, if that's what they have to do, and I have to doubt how good compliance will be. 

Edited by purplemonster

Supposedly some big, damaging news story is going to come out of Washington today unrelated to the name change. Usually I'd say something like this is just overdramatization, but there seems to be a lot of unusual things happening. 

https://nypost.com/2020/07/15/a-washington-bombshell-is-coming-and-its-not-about-redskins/

https://wjla.com/sports/washington-redskins/something-fishy-team-formerly-known-as-the-redskins

Edited by rajncajn

50 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Honestly,  my mind goes to sexual misconduct,  or race relations seems to be the (rightfully) two biggest issues of the day

Reading some of what rumors are already out there,  it sounds like all of the above.  Hate it for the fans. I know they hate Snyder and would like to see him go, but they don't deserve this. 

This could be interesting.

Toxic culture at Redskins that is going to apparently revive the "me too" thing.

Front office and team personnel f***ing media members in exchange for scoops and leaks. Protecting leadership, coaches, players from getting in trouble with their wives, etc and then using that information for blackmail, leaks and to keep people obedient (Gruden, Allen, McLovin).

what's to understand? the team made multiple women sign NDA's and paid them off after he sexually harassed or assaulted them. This isn't news if you've been remotely paying attention to the team. Its the entire front office culture there and has been for over a decade.