[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Antonio Brown re-announces retirement

Big John

11 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

He probably wouldn't have done those terrible things if he was not black balled out of the NFL last season.  Getting dropped by NE and the commish taking his sweet time on this case allowed Brown to go nutso. 

Brown allowed brown to go nuts. The man is 32 years old. I think it's time to stop looking for someone to blame for his poor decisions. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

He probably wouldn't have done those terrible things if he was not black balled out of the NFL last season.  Getting dropped by NE and the commish taking his sweet time on this case allowed Brown to go nutso.  

I sure hope this is sarcasm. If it’s not, yikes 

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Brown allowed brown to go nuts. The man is 32 years old. I think it's time to stop looking for someone to blame for his poor decisions. 

Well said.  The saga is so wild that I think we may have forgotten the Raiders.  He had everything.  A nice contact, a fresh start.  And he was holding out because of his helmet, threatening the GM, tweeting like a wild man, asking for a trade, over nothing.  He's not a well guy. 

14 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

I think AB blackballed himself right out of the business. How can you blame the NFL for his actions? 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

I think AB blackballed himself right out of the business. How can you blame the NFL for his actions? 

The NFL didn't want to do anything last year to allow him any chance to get back into the league after NE cut him.  Everything was fine until that story came out right after he signed with NE.  Teams dropping players and NFL saying they would put him on the commish exempt list if anyone signed him for players accused of something but not proven to be guilty doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  There used to be a saying innocent until proven guilty but that certainly isn't the case any more.

Yes he did many stupid things especially what he did this year but would any of this happened if NE never cut him ?  Probably not.

It is what it is though.  Not sure he plays this year because I am not sure we get to week 9/10 anyway.

Will be interesting to see if someone signs him now.  I hope so if we do have football that is because I have almost a 50% share on him about 15 out of 30 redraft and 3 out of 9 dynasty.

3 minutes ago, Henry Muto said:

The NFL didn't want to do anything last year to allow him any chance to get back into the league after NE cut him.  Everything was fine until that story came out right after he signed with NE.  Teams dropping players and NFL saying they would put him on the commish exempt list if anyone signed him for players accused of something but not proven to be guilty doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  There used to be a saying innocent until proven guilty but that certainly isn't the case any more.

Yes he did many stupid things especially what he did this year but would any of this happened if NE never cut him ?  Probably not.

It is what it is though.  Not sure he plays this year because I am not sure we get to week 9/10 anyway.

Will be interesting to see if someone signs him now.  I hope so if we do have football that is because I have almost a 50% share on him about 15 out of 30 redraft and 3 out of 9 dynasty.

I get it but how is his craziness the NFL's fault? This was all his doing. I'm sorry the guy has mental issues but that's not the NFL's problem, they aren't his handlers. You can't blame the NFL, at some point he has to bear responsibility for his actions. 

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Did they say exactly what this suspension is for? 

Multiple violations of the personal conduct policy. From https://www.nfl.com/news/antonio-brown-suspended-eight-games-nfl-2020-season:

"Brown's suspension stems from his no contest plea to burglary and battery charges from a January incident in Florida, and accusations he sent intimidating texts to a woman who accused the receiver of making past unwanted advances toward her."

The article said AB accepted it and will not appeal. I understand he has mental health issues and needs help - that's most important - but 8 games seems a bit steep here. If he's really retired then it doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, stethant said:

Multiple violations of the personal conduct policy. From https://www.nfl.com/news/antonio-brown-suspended-eight-games-nfl-2020-season:

"Brown's suspension stems from his no contest plea to burglary and battery charges from a January incident in Florida, and accusations he sent intimidating texts to a woman who accused the receiver of making past unwanted advances toward her."

The article said AB accepted it and will not appeal. I understand he has mental health issues and needs help - that's most important - but 8 games seems a bit steep here. If he's really retired then it doesn't matter.

Thank you, I forgot about that. I thought that was resolved but apparently not. He definitely needs help, I hope he gets it. 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, purplemonster said:

Well said.  The saga is so wild that I think we may have forgotten the Raiders.  He had everything.  A nice contact, a fresh start.  And he was holding out because of his helmet, threatening the GM, tweeting like a wild man, asking for a trade, over nothing.  He's not a well guy. 

Exactly, Brown did himself in. I suspect Henry Muto having 8000 different fantasy teams (mostly high stakes) probably has some shares of AB and hasn't gotten over the sting. Blaming anybody but AB himself is just wrong. 

Somethings wrong with him, if it isn't mental illness its some nasty drugs. Or he's just a big stupid jerk, that is always a possibility. Remember TO working out on his line, crying about "that's my QB" and other stuff? Did we ever figure out if he had problems?

Yeah, it's not like Brown's career started to derail with him being cut by NE.  It started well before that... while he was still in PIT, actually.  Think about it... he was BY FAR the best at his position in the entire league, and PIT wanted nothing to do with him.  That tells me all I need to know.  He then signs with OAK (a team who DESPERATELY need WR help at the time), and they quickly come to the same conclusion.  He's a cancer.  Then, NE says what the heck, we need a WR, let's give him a shot, and all is well in the world.  For about two weeks.  Strike three.  

Brown is lucky he's not in jail for almost killing people in that furniture off the balcony episode.  He needs professional help.

9 hours ago, Big John said:

The retirement lasted 2 days. 

Ah. Missed that. 

The suspension is due to start week one regardless. So if he signs with Seattle part way through the season some of his time will have already been served. It sounds like there's a plan to get him back on the field. But I don't see Carroll tolerating any misbehavior. 

Guess I'll keep the paperweight for a while longer. 

Edited by 1fastdoc

When the 8 game suspension was handed down the NFL left the window open for more action later, related to the civil lawsuit over sexual assault and rape charges.

There's also the fact that teams cannot have a player come into camp for a tryout, so they'd have to sign him and hope he's good. 

Word from most stories I've read say teams are afraid that he may be OK when first signed, but it won't last long, just as was the case with the short stint with the Raiders and Patriots. Some think there is more chance he is signed later in the year, as teams lose players to injury or COVID and his suspension is nearly over. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/05/will-antonio-brown-get-signed-during-training-camp/?partner=MSN

On 8/6/2020 at 9:22 AM, stevegrab said:

When the 8 game suspension was handed down the NFL left the window open for more action later, related to the civil lawsuit over sexual assault and rape charges.

There's also the fact that teams cannot have a player come into camp for a tryout, so they'd have to sign him and hope he's good. 

Word from most stories I've read say teams are afraid that he may be OK when first signed, but it won't last long, just as was the case with the short stint with the Raiders and Patriots. Some think there is more chance he is signed later in the year, as teams lose players to injury or COVID and his suspension is nearly over. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/05/will-antonio-brown-get-signed-during-training-camp/?partner=MSN

Ok.  So I'll plan to hold him for the first half of the season, let him play and have one good game, then trade him for a young WR2 or RB2.  In reality he'll probably not play or  have a manure game and he'll sit on my bench next to Jordan Reed until they die or I die.