Sign in to follow this  
rajncajn

Artificial crowd noise

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or is this just completely disingenuous and annoying?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the NBA's computer generated faces more annoying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought they did a good job with the crowd noise . On many occasions, I forgot it was fake and it was a game with no fans . I didnt mind it at all 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, whomper said:

I thought they did a good job with the crowd noise . On many occasions, I forgot it was fake and it was a game with no fans . I didnt mind it at all 

Maybe it was just the Saints games since that's the only one I watched, but it was absolutely horrible. It was like watching an old sitcom with a bad laugh track. It was way too loud for one thing. I'm used to watching Saints games where, at times, you have to strain a little to hear the announcers, but when it's fake? It was really off as well. "Fans" were cheering when they really shouldn't, cheering for mediocre plays, and it was a bit delayed as well. I think the only thing they got right was booing one of the PI calls. But, apparently, the crowd noise was only for the viewing audience. There was none in the actual dome. Honestly, I'd much prefer taking the opportunity to get a better listen to what's happening on the field than hear fake noise.

 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/nfl-saints-bucs-fake-crowd-noise-stinks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't even notice.  I watch the Red Zone channel and eff around on my phone all Sunday so I don't think my attention span is long enough to notice.  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, Shaft said:

I find the NBA's computer generated faces more annoying.

 

Computer generated?  I don't think you grasp what is being done, or are using that term wrong. These are virtual fans, sitting there watching the game live with some device recording them like a giant web meeting using Microsoft Teams software. That also includes piping the sound from those fans into the arena where the game is being played. 

 

Its as close to having real fans in attendance as it gets. The card board cut outs at MLB games, those are a bit more lame and don't do much but just sit there. 

 

Sports were meant to be played with fans watching, in fact that is all there was before radio and TV coverage. I'm glad some NFL teams are having fans and hope more will, but I don't think the NBA's virtual fan system is annoying. But then I also don't watch a lot of NBA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

Computer generated?  I don't think you grasp what is being done, or are using that term wrong. These are virtual fans, sitting there watching the game live with some device recording them like a giant web meeting using Microsoft Teams software. That also includes piping the sound from those fans into the arena where the game is being played. 

 

Its as close to having real fans in attendance as it gets. The card board cut outs at MLB games, those are a bit more lame and don't do much but just sit there. 

 

Sports were meant to be played with fans watching, in fact that is all there was before radio and TV coverage. I'm glad some NFL teams are having fans and hope more will, but I don't think the NBA's virtual fan system is annoying. But then I also don't watch a lot of NBA. 

 

Steve, you are absolutely right, I had no idea what was being done and neither did I look it up. I stand corrected. It still looks funny to me. :lol:

Edited by Shaft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Shaft said:

 

Steve, you are absolutely right, I had no idea what was being done and neither did I look it up. I stand corrected. It still looks funny to me. :lol:

 

Its all good, it does look kind of odd. I think it does help provide some semblance of home court advantage, your fans cheering you, booing the opponents. Not something I'd do, and I've noticed some people wearing costumes, or maybe that was somebody's dog in the fan picture. The NFL was doing a bit of that coming out of commercial breaks, with some pictures of fans cheering on the team, saw it in several games. 

 

Jimmy Fallon does a bit called "go on get" as in "we're done with you, get the hell out"  he used the "NFL games with no fans" as one, then added "but keep the games, I'm so glad football is back". I'm feeling similar glad the games are back, not a huge MLB or NBA fan, and rarely watch hockey, so none of those returning were what I was looking forward to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump  :bash:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to notice it more, was way behind the action several times during MNF making it obvious how fake it is.

 

I hope all teams have fans soon and can have some crowd noise. (I guess both LV and WAS owners announced at beginning of season NO FANS ALL YEAR, so they won't all have fans.) I'm a bit surprised CLE had fans for the home opener and will again this weekend, yet many other more conservative states have not allowed fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 11:17 AM, stevegrab said:

 

Computer generated?  I don't think you grasp what is being done, or are using that term wrong. These are virtual fans, sitting there watching the game live with some device recording them like a giant web meeting using Microsoft Teams software. That also includes piping the sound from those fans into the arena where the game is being played. 

 

Its as close to having real fans in attendance as it gets. The card board cut outs at MLB games, those are a bit more lame and don't do much but just sit there. 

 

Sports were meant to be played with fans watching, in fact that is all there was before radio and TV coverage. I'm glad some NFL teams are having fans and hope more will, but I don't think the NBA's virtual fan system is annoying. But then I also don't watch a lot of NBA. 

 

Wanted to follow up, I may have been wrong about this, I thought the fans were real and sitting at home watching the game doing everything we see. However I caught some promo soliciting fans and they simply asked for a picture to be sent in, maybe they are using computer animation to make those people look like real live fans. Don't know for sure what is going on, but wanted to clarify this a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

Wanted to follow up, I may have been wrong about this, I thought the fans were real and sitting at home watching the game doing everything we see. However I caught some promo soliciting fans and they simply asked for a picture to be sent in, maybe they are using computer animation to make those people look like real live fans. Don't know for sure what is going on, but wanted to clarify this a bit. 

 

Jeez, you're about as dumb as they come. #LittleBus

Edited by League_Champion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave me a chuckle, In Philly last week when Wentz threw a pick in the red zone they actually played fan's booing.  I thought, no.... But even the announcers mentioned it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoJoTheWebToedBoy said:

Gave me a chuckle, In Philly last week when Wentz threw a pick in the red zone they actually played fan's booing.  I thought, no.... But even the announcers mentioned it.  

 

I thought that was awesome! The sound guy was booing the defense as well, it was great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoJoTheWebToedBoy said:

Gave me a chuckle, In Philly last week when Wentz threw a pick in the red zone they actually played fan's booing.  I thought, no.... But even the announcers mentioned it.  

 

Reading that it made sense to me, "in Philly" fans would boo their QB throwing a pick in RZ, but the game was not "in Philly" it was in Landover MD (home of Washington FT) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes forget that there are no fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stevegrab said:

 

Wanted to follow up, I may have been wrong about this, I thought the fans were real and sitting at home watching the game doing everything we see. However I caught some promo soliciting fans and they simply asked for a picture to be sent in, maybe they are using computer animation to make those people look like real live fans. Don't know for sure what is going on, but wanted to clarify this a bit. 

All good, we move on to the next discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was one point in the ‘Aints-Faiders game where there was a noticeable delay between the play and the crowd noise.  Made me laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

There was one point in the ‘Aints-Faiders game where there was a noticeable delay between the play and the crowd noise.  Made me laugh.

I think what bugs me most is the random cheering,  especially when it's for the opposing team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ramhock said:

It is only slightly better than silence.

I would prefer the silence and to be able to hear the players and coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 12:15 PM, stevegrab said:

 

Reading that it made sense to me, "in Philly" fans would boo their QB throwing a pick in RZ, but the game was not "in Philly" it was in Landover MD (home of Washington FT) 

That would explain it then..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.