[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints fan rant

rajncajn

I'm certain many of you can relate & I'm certain many of you get tired of hearing the "no respek" complaint, but seriously, this is a good part of the reason why I'm quickly losing interest in the NFL Many of you that have been here for a while know how I feel about my team. I'm a homer through & through, but I am usually pretty fair with criticism of my team and most of it's players. What I really find annoying though is the constant overhype of players & teams and the total disregard and downplaying of others that are just as, if not more deserving. As some of you also know, I quit watching ESPN & NFL Network completely after 2011, the above & bountygate being big reasons but also the utter lack of any quality content. I really got tired of turning it on and waiting through entire shows of the Patriots, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants to only see a 30 second blurb about the Saints.

So, this morning I'm watching the local news and usually after the local news Good Morning America comes on & I turn the TV off to start my workday (working from home). But, hey, I see they are going to have a story about Brady & Brees facing off and I decide to leave it on for a while. So on comes their NFL segment &, of course it starts off with the NFL protests of the weekend, but they use that as a segue in to the Brees/Brady story in that they started the story talking about the criticisms of Brees over the flag kneeling. The story goes on to talk about Brady & his debut in a Bucs uniform & how strange it looks seeing him in that uniform & oh by the way, Brady now hold the record for the oldest QB to ever throw a pass in the NFL. Every single highlight they showed was Brady and the Bucs, including two touchdowns. The only thing they ever said about Brees other than the controversy was that he was the other 40+ QB in the game. The only thing that could be considered a Saints highlight was at the very end of the segment when they finally said the Saints won the game (and that was all they said about it) when Janoris Jenkins intercepted Brady, but they didn't even show that. All they showed was Jenkins jumping the route and they cut the clip before he even intercepted it.

Wanna know why I'm close to calling it quits for good? It's the little things like this. The stuff that, on it's own, doesn't usually matter. You laugh it off & move on knowing you won & they lost & they're just bitter about it. But that stuff starts piling up and piling up. All the controversies & all the nonsense & drama & bullmanure. It's becoming less & less about the game & winning and more & more about creating "entertainment" & drama and propping up the big markets and marketable players. I'm just so... over it.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I empathize with your rant, but it has always been about entertainment, make no mistake about it. Now, what is viewed as entertainment has changed and it may no longer entertain you. But if people keep paying and watching, then they will continue as they are.

With that being said, Brady is going to get 100x more attention than Brees this season because it's a "better' story. 

i have given up on the media.

to me, thats where the problems are.

i watch local news for weather and that about it. turn off the national crap.

love football and love Brees.

i am glad for your saints and hope they go all the way this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For many years now there has been some NFL beef with New Orleans. I don't think their screw job with calls is random and I am not generally a conspiracy guy. Maybe it's Brees being an active advocate for players - who knows. 

I couldn't figure out if it was because there was more than met the eye with bountygate or with the prescription drug story with Sean Payton - and I don't think we're going to know either way for years, if ever. So I stopped trying to sort that out entirely. 

At the end of the day, don't let the entertainment aspect interfere with your love of the ACTUAL game. I agree that the NFL is more and more and more about the stupid entertainment and less about the product on the field. This is inevitable as the NFL tries to take more market share and make more money and take more market share and.....

The NFL is facing its inevitable decline because of the head trauma issue and NO amount of spin or entertainment is going to make that go away. So, I guess I would say enjoy your team and the experience they give YOU and don't let the bastards get you down. This is most likely Brees' swan song so don't lose out on the final chapter(s) of an otherwise amazing period in Saints history. 

Oh - and please lose the next Saints-Bucs game. Thank you very much in advance.

What most of the other people said, ignore the talking heads and all their foaming at the mouth about how the Bucs are SB favorites, nevermind they'll need to be better than or probably a very good Saints team to win a title. 

Your big mistake in this all was thinking there would be any serious football talk on GMA and not just a Brady lovefest. The same reason you stopped watching ESPN and NFLN is why you should never expect anything of value from a non sports outlet, they'll be even more rapped up in the big name and their draw.

The NBA has gotten even worse with its drama and constant nonsense like that during the season. I could barely tolerate for a few years when the Cavs were perennial contenders and I followed it hoping my city/region would finally get title.

Let the TomBucs be the darlings, just keep winning games 

Think of how those in San Diego felt when the NFL took their ball and left for good. All the history made here in my great city was tossed aside so that LA could have two teams. One of which just sits in a corner and pays rent in a stadium that will now make considerably less with no fans now and if both falter, later. the DON would never believe this was possible. Yet here we are. It should have been voted down by owners but...the money was too good. 

• Like 1