[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How many leagues?

Hey Daily

4 leagues this year.

- Best Ball; one draft and no stress the rest of season just need to look up weekly score/standings

- 10 team Keeper with IDP (my league from 1996)

- 32 Homers (2nd season) quite different from any league; it's all about the draft as there are scraps and very few luck breakouts performances from the FA list

- Yahoo money league with friends

Does each best ball team count?

Individually I have the following that are best ball (no weekly management):

10 Best Ball teams through FFPC

1 Terminator Best Ball team through FFPC (only management is to cut 1 player per week)

1 BOTH Best Ball League

Leagues requiring weekly management (lineups/waivers etc.):

1 Guillotine League - 16 teams (partially BOTH) - 1st year

1 BOTH Auction/Keeper league 12 teams - year 20ish

1 BOTH Full IDP Dynasty 12 teams - year 12 for me (13th year of league)

1 BOTH Dynasty - 14 teams (year 22 I believe)

1 BOTH Redraft - 12 teams (about 14 years I believe)

1 Empire Style Dynasty - 12 teams (with primarily college friends, 1st year with this setup)

Leagues that I co-own with a group:

1 FFPC Main Event Team

1 FPC Team

For the leagues requiring weekly management, every year I say I am going to cut back, but each of them is a different format/set up with generally a unique set of owners (some carryover in the BOTH leagues), so each requires a different strategy to stay competitive.

Damn. I didn’t even know there were that many types of fantasy leagues. I’m just in a 12 man PPR. Got a win first up, so I was pretty stoked. 

So with best ball you draft your team at the start and then you’re stuck with them for the season no matter what? Injuries, trades, bye weeks etc

I’ve been listening to a few podcasts to try and follow what’s going on and I keep hearing about DraftKings and it sounds like there can be quiet a bit of money to win. 

No wonder they say this fantasy football business can turn into an addiction! 

8 minutes ago, Hey Daily said:

Damn. I didn’t even know there were that many types of fantasy leagues. I’m just in a 12 man PPR. Got a win first up, so I was pretty stoked. 

So with best ball you draft your team at the start and then you’re stuck with them for the season no matter what? Injuries, trades, bye weeks etc

I’ve been listening to a few podcasts to try and follow what’s going on and I keep hearing about DraftKings and it sounds like there can be quiet a bit of money to win. 

No wonder they say this fantasy football business can turn into an addiction! 

For the most part, DraftKings and daily FF is not for the normal person - the AI bots and pro gamers have it figured out so next to impossible for a regular joe to really profit significantly.

For best ball, your best lineup each week starts automatically. Most (but not all) are draft it and forget it, so you usually go deeper. For example, FFPC has lineup requirements of 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 K and 1 Defense (10 total starters). Their normal drafts are 20 rounds, the best ball drafts are 28 rounds and they are draft and go with it. No waivers, no trades, etc.

There is definitely a fair bit of strategy that goes into roster construction and player valuations. For example, top QBs tend to drop a little bit as you are not choosing who to start each week, but, in general, starting QBs go way up in value with the majority (this year just about all but the Miami and Chicago QBs) being drafted by the 14th round as it is a huge advantage to have 3 starting QBs on your roster. You generally also want to have at least 3 kickers to cover bye weeks, injuries and cuts (with 32 teams, not every team can have 3 kickers)

Valuewise compared to normal weekly leagues, streaky WRs go up a bit (think deep threats that may go 2 catches, 25 yards most weeks then have 4 catches, 160 yards and 2 scores a few times) as you no longer have to guess when to play them, and receiving backs go up a bit in value (of the 10 I am in for FFPC, I was able to get Nyhiem Hines in 5 of them as he was one of my main targets so he started for me automatically this week in those leagues). So there are definite changes that need to be made in how you approach the draft, especially once you get past the first 4-5 rounds or so.

5 hours ago, Big Country said:

Does each best ball team count?

Individually I have the following that are best ball (no weekly management):

10 Best Ball teams through FFPC

1 Terminator Best Ball team through FFPC (only management is to cut 1 player per week)

1 BOTH Best Ball League

Leagues requiring weekly management (lineups/waivers etc.):

1 Guillotine League - 16 teams (partially BOTH) - 1st year

1 BOTH Auction/Keeper league 12 teams - year 20ish

1 BOTH Full IDP Dynasty 12 teams - year 12 for me (13th year of league)

1 BOTH Dynasty - 14 teams (year 22 I believe)

1 BOTH Redraft - 12 teams (about 14 years I believe)

1 Empire Style Dynasty - 12 teams (with primarily college friends, 1st year with this setup)

Leagues that I co-own with a group:

1 FFPC Main Event Team

1 FPC Team

For the leagues requiring weekly management, every year I say I am going to cut back, but each of them is a different format/set up with generally a unique set of owners (some carryover in the BOTH leagues), so each requires a different strategy to stay competitive.

FFPC is just one website that runs the fantasy is that right? I went through ESPN fantasy but I’m assuming there’s a heap out there? Is BOTH another one? 

I think I know the difference between most of the other leagues, but what the heck is guillotine? Dynasty just means that your team from this year carries over to next year? And IDP is where defensive players are drafted and score points? 

That’s crazy how long you’ve been in some of these leagues man. 

37 minutes ago, Hey Daily said:

FFPC is just one website that runs the fantasy is that right? I went through ESPN fantasy but I’m assuming there’s a heap out there? Is BOTH another one? 

I think I know the difference between most of the other leagues, but what the heck is guillotine? Dynasty just means that your team from this year carries over to next year? And IDP is where defensive players are drafted and score points? 

That’s crazy how long you’ve been in some of these leagues man. 

FFPC runs one of the larger "high stakes" fantasy leagues. Their "Main Event" costs about $1900 per team - you are in a 12 team league, play weeks 1-11, 1 game against each other team. Weeks 12-13 are the league playoffs. Weeks 14-16 is the championship round which is comprised of the league winners and a few at large teams. There are regular season and playoff prizes, but the big money is for the championship round, with first place being $500,000.

In addition to the main event, they also run smaller contests, satellite leagues where the prize is entry into the main even the following year and some other unique league formats.

BOTH means "Born of the Huddle". Many moons ago the forums were extremely busy and really had a major sense of community. Beyond just football, this extended into banding together to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina, meeting for opening weekend of football, basically going through lifes ups and downs where the enjoyment of fantasy football brought these random group of internet folks together. As any competitive group would, leagues starting getting formed and many created separate forums here (under League Forums) for these leagues that were "Born of the Huddle", thus the BOTH moniker.

A guillotine league is truly unique - I've only been familiar with them over the last 5 years or so, but I assume they have been around longer than that. Many are comprised of up to 17 teams (the one I am playing in is made up of two 16 teams leagues). Everyone drafts (or auctions depending on the league) their team, and you manage it as normal (free agent pickups, trades, etc.). The big catch is that it is a total points league, and each week the team with the lowest point total is eliminated and their players are dumped into the free agent pool. With 17 teams, this means that in week 16, there are only two teams left, with high scorer winning the league. The league I am in as mentioned is made up of two 16-team leagues - we are playing down to a winner in each league, then in week 16 those league winners will play each other for the grand championship.

I think pretty much the only type of league I have not played in, though I hope to set one up next year, is a "Vampire" league. In this kind of league, the "Vampire" drafts their team after all 11 other teams (if a 12 team league) have completed their draft. They also do not get to place waiver claims, though they do get a priority FCFS add period after waivers run and before it opens up to everyone else. The catch is, if the "Vampire" wins their head to head matchup, they get to take 1 starter from the other team and add them to their roster. There's a few more intricacies, but that is the gist of the league.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Big Country said:

FFPC runs one of the larger "high stakes" fantasy leagues. Their "Main Event" costs about $1900 per team - you are in a 12 team league, play weeks 1-11, 1 game against each other team. Weeks 12-13 are the league playoffs. Weeks 14-16 is the championship round which is comprised of the league winners and a few at large teams. There are regular season and playoff prizes, but the big money is for the championship round, with first place being $500,000.

In addition to the main event, they also run smaller contests, satellite leagues where the prize is entry into the main even the following year and some other unique league formats.

BOTH means "Born of the Huddle". Many moons ago the forums were extremely busy and really had a major sense of community. Beyond just football, this extended into banding together to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina, meeting for opening weekend of football, basically going through lifes ups and downs where the enjoyment of fantasy football brought these random group of internet folks together. As any competitive group would, leagues starting getting formed and many created separate forums here (under League Forums) for these leagues that were "Born of the Huddle", thus the BOTH moniker.

A guillotine league is truly unique - I've only been familiar with them over the last 5 years or so, but I assume they have been around longer than that. Many are comprised of up to 17 teams (the one I am playing in is made up of two 16 teams leagues). Everyone drafts (or auctions depending on the league) their team, and you manage it as normal (free agent pickups, trades, etc.). The big catch is that it is a total points league, and each week the team with the lowest point total is eliminated and their players are dumped into the free agent pool. With 17 teams, this means that in week 16, there are only two teams left, with high scorer winning the league. The league I am in as mentioned is made up of two 16-team leagues - we are playing down to a winner in each league, then in week 16 those league winners will play each other for the grand championship.

I think pretty much the only type of league I have not played in, though I hope to set one up next year, is a "Vampire" league. In this kind of league, the "Vampire" drafts their team after all 11 other teams (if a 12 team league) have completed their draft. They also do not get to place waiver claims, though they do get a priority FCFS add period after waivers run and before it opens up to everyone else. The catch is, if the "Vampire" wins their head to head matchup, they get to take 1 starter from the other team and add them to their roster. There's a few more intricacies, but that is the gist of the league.

I think I need at least a year under my belt before I start putting money where my mouth is. Ha. I do see the appeal of just setting a lineup and then not thinking about it. I’ve literally woken myself up in the middle of the night dreaming about trades, and I’m only a week and a half in. 

Are most the people on this site situated around New Orleans then? I literally just googled ‘fantasy football forum’ to find a place I could talk about fantasy football and this was one of the first results. Not anywhere I could find that was based in Australia (which kinda makes sense). 

2 hours ago, Hey Daily said:

I think I need at least a year under my belt before I start putting money where my mouth is. Ha. I do see the appeal of just setting a lineup and then not thinking about it. I’ve literally woken myself up in the middle of the night dreaming about trades, and I’m only a week and a half in. 

Are most the people on this site situated around New Orleans then? I literally just googled ‘fantasy football forum’ to find a place I could talk about fantasy football and this was one of the first results. Not anywhere I could find that was based in Australia (which kinda makes sense). 

The real question is "WHY ARE YOU A JETS FAN?"

9 hours ago, Big Country said:

That is pretty interesting.  I would have to see example of rules.  Hard sell for me for my regular owners, but I really like that.  Very challenging, but not overly where you do not enjoy it.  Straight up draft draw for each odd round and make the even round the opposite.

Maybe there might be a Vampire BOTH league.

5 hours ago, Hey Daily said:

Nope, they are from all over the world, US primarily, but it was incredible to see a group of "internet friends" come together for one of their own. Not just donating, but there were several that crossed the country to come and help rebuild. While I was not able to make the trip myself, it was one of the proudest moments I can think of to stem from an internet message board.

1 hour ago, XFlash said:

That is pretty interesting.  I would have to see example of rules.  Hard sell for me for my regular owners, but I really like that.  Very challenging, but not overly where you do not enjoy it.  Straight up draft draw for each odd round and make the even round the opposite.

Maybe there might be a Vampire BOTH league.

I've seen several variations of the rules.  One is that the regular owners can't trade or do waivers at all, ie the team they draft is what they work with all season, some like I mentioned above make it that much harder on the "vampire" and give the regular teams a regular waiver run before the vampire team, some are that the vampire team always has #1 on waiver priority each week.

The beauty is there is no hard and fast set rule, so you can adjust/modify it as best suite your owners. Link to one type of vampire league discussion

A - My 12 team that I commish for over 10+ years that I care about.  

B - An 8 team that my childhood friend runs (with me reminding him every year to set a draft date/collect dues/pay dues)

League B started as 14 and is now down to 8 due to a poor comissioner.  The 10 teams last year wasn't nearly as fun.  8 teams is a joke even though we start 3 WR, 2 RB, and 2 Flex.  I like having a back up in case I bomb my main league but 8 teams is no fun.

Too many, but I can't see myself leaving any of them since they're all slightly different in one way or another, and I enjoy them all so much.

8 dynasty leagues, all with IDP (up from 7 last year)

3 redraft leagues, none are IDP (up from 2 last year)

3 best ball leagues, none are IDP (I forget how many of these I had last year)

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Too many, but I can't see myself leaving any of them since they're all slightly different in one way or another, and I enjoy them all so much.

8 dynasty leagues, all with IDP (up from 7 last year)

3 redraft leagues, none are IDP (up from 2 last year)

3 best ball leagues, none are IDP (I forget how many of these I had last year)

Respect! 8 dynasty leagues are a lot to keep up with. Nonetheless I'm jealous.