[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Covid Thread- All things Covid and the NFL

Shaft

35 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Just seeing if we can streamline all of the threads.

So....the Colts have shut down their practice facility today (Friday). There were a few positive tests. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30124882/indianapolis-colts-announce-several-positive-covid-19-tests

This could affect the Colts/Bengals game.

Rotoworld has an update that 1 player and 3 staff members had false positives and that the game with Cincy is likely to go on as scheduled. 

I’m my line of work, if a lab had as many screw ups as whatever testing lab the NFL is using we’d fire them in an instant. Granted, the labs I used were for a different purpose (environmental sampling) but you’d think a medical lab would have better QA/QC procedures than it appears they do. None of this botching of test results helps anyone. 

5 minutes ago, SeductiveNun said:

Rotoworld has an update that 1 player and 3 staff members had false positives and that the game with Cincy is likely to go on as scheduled. 

I’m my line of work, if a lab had as many screw ups as whatever testing lab the NFL is using we’d fire them in an instant. Granted, the labs I used were for a different purpose (environmental sampling) but you’d think a medical lab would have better QA/QC procedures than it appears they do. None of this botching of test results helps anyone. 

I don't know that it is a screw up, they are testing 2200 samples per day.  There is a false positive rate. Even 0.1% false positivity is 2 false positives per day with those numbers. 

4 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I don't know that it is a screw up, they are testing 2200 samples per day.  There is a false positive rate. Even 0.1% false positivity is 2 false positives per day with those numbers. 

In my field we are closely monitored to the point of annoyance and we do not have the money the NFL has, and we rarely have false positives. 

38 minutes ago, Shaft said:

In my field we are closely monitored to the point of annoyance and we do not have the money the NFL has, and we rarely have false positives. 

In my field I work outside by myself 90% of the time. That's a positive positive in my book, even before this mess. 

Edited by MacAttak

50 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Same here. Even though I've had it I still get tested on a regular basis. It sucks but I get it. I had a false negative before I re-tested positive. They still can't figure it out 

Patriots had a positive test today.   With NE and Denver past their bye weeks this would mean a week 18 unless they can play Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.     Mondays could turn into the new Sunday.   

Its Oct 15th.   I guess we can keep this going until teams start to double/triple there missed games.   Then your looking at week 19, 20, etc.     NFL should have built in more bye weeks this year.   Or maybe give the whole league a two week break and take a look at where these infections are coming from.    My guess is its starting off the field.    Guys hanging out with friends, family, etc.   Living life.   

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I am not sure if they are using antigen or PCR, but if they are using quicker antigen testing they may want to consider switching 

Almost certain that daily testing for sports is what are referred to as the rapid tests, which are less accurate. Then a positive test result is followed up with the more accurate PCR test.  They want to catch positives ASAP and separate those people from the team. 

Odell Beckham tested negative, but he still remains away from the facility, I saw some NFL protocol stuff earlier today that said even after a negative test if they were ill they must remain in isolation (away from the team). He did not return to practice today. 

On 10/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, stevegrab said:

Almost certain that daily testing for sports is what are referred to as the rapid tests, which are less accurate. Then a positive test result is followed up with the more accurate PCR test.  They want to catch positives ASAP and separate those people from the team. 

Odell Beckham tested negative, but he still remains away from the facility, I saw some NFL protocol stuff earlier today that said even after a negative test if they were ill they must remain in isolation (away from the team). He did not return to practice today. 

Probably so. I imagine there are cost/speed issues for them. But they are a multibillion company.  My googling reveals antigen $10- $50. PCR $100-200. PCR machine $5-10K.

If you have 2400 tests/d x $200 that is $500K/day just for testing.  They could buy the machines and technicians and do PCR.  I am sure with bulk testing get the numbers down.  Might cost them 20-50 million for the season. Chump change for them. 

Edited by purplemonster

• 1 month later...