[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ode to Nyheim Hines

Bobby Brown

You are on every one of my teams
Typically drafted at or near round 14
Week 1 was freaking hazy
27.3 points on my bench made me crazy

Week 2 you were a starter, 1.4 points was a complete fartrer

You've been stashed away for bye weeks and flex
Yet your best-ball value still turns necks

Tonight you went for 28.5, my high stakes team is still alive
However, you bring me so much damn pain
I benched you for a Gallman, named Wayne

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I was telling my brothers while watching the game that I had been scouting Hines for fantasy purposes and he looked like a decent backup even though I'm mostly done with byes and have 3 viable starters (Jacobs, Carson, Fournette). I had a roster spot I was looking to fill, and wanted to upgrade my RBs but waited. Good now he had a huge week, somebody else will scoop him up off waivers and wait for that next decent game to get a return on the investment. 

I've been doing the same thing with Sammy Watkins, keep thinking he'll have some value in that high powered KC offense, but he cannot even get on the field again, and when he does I'm not sure he'll be used much, or won't get hurt. 

I went against Taylor last night in FFPC.  It would have been so much sweeter if we'd started Hines.  But, there was no indication coming into the game he was going to get a lot of work Below is his snap count percentage per game, not including last night. 

42 9 20 25 21 21   16

Going into last night Hines had 2 good games and 5 duds.   We benched him for Gallman primarily on the news of the Freeman injury. 

Good decision I think, but  likely bad outcome.  Such is FF. 

8 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That whole backfield in Indy is frustrating. Jonathan Taylor is barely getting touches for some reason. 

RB coach Tom Rathman employs the "hot hand" approach.  Taylor looked like he was going to be a workhorse early in the season but I knew for a fact that Rivers liked Hines in the "Ekeler" role, so I saw him having PPR value.  What I didn't expect was Wilkins getting a lot of run and then Hines being a workhorse himself.

Only consistent play here looks like it's Hines.

3 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Next week Hines will carry three times for 10 yards and catch two balls for 18 yards, no scores.

Book it. :weird:

Yea.  I've been burned by that type of performance twice from Hines.  I'll need to hear a commitment from Reich or at least see back to back games with production to seriously consider him a starter.  He looked good last night, so I suppose it's plausible.

Had the gut inkling to start him this week, glad I listened....it was him or Burkhead this week. I have been in RB hell since Barkley went down, no starting RB's and melvin "the drunk driving" Gordon... lol

14 minutes ago, banerak said:

Had the gut inkling to start him this week, glad I listened....it was him or Burkhead this week. I have been in RB hell since Barkley went down, no starting RB's and melvin "the drunk driving" Gordon... lol

In Melvin's defense, He is from Wisconsin.  That explains a little.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, Wolverines Fan said:

Next week Hines will carry three times for 10 yards and catch two balls for 18 yards, no scores.

Book it. :weird:

Yea.  I've been burned by that type of performance twice from Hines.  I'll need to hear a commitment from Reich or at least see back to back games with production to seriously consider him a starter.  He looked good last night, so I suppose it's plausible.

Gallman came up with a 19 point effort and made the benching of Hines not so bad.  Apparently I should have benched benched James Robinson for both Gallman and Hines. Here is hoping that Mostert gets healthy next week. Modified 1RB strategy will probably need it. 

Maybe I'll even start Godwin next week.  Who I drafted in the 2nd round, but still ended up on my bench today with 2 flex positions.

On 11/14/2020 at 2:27 PM, League_Champion said:

Since when has Hines become consistent? He's anything but. 

8.38 points isn't great, but he did catch the ball 5 times against the the Bengals Week 6.  22.76 points against Lions.  Bad game against Ravens but that was to be expected.  And then 5 more catches and 28.5 on Thursday night.  I'd bet he continues to see lots of work in the passing game, making him the closest thing to consistent in this particular backfield.  I wouldn't have any issue playing him as my flex in PPR leagues moving forward.  

30 minutes ago, darin3 said:

8.38 points isn't great, but he did catch the ball 5 times against the the Bengals Week 6.  22.76 points against Lions.  Bad game against Ravens but that was to be expected.  And then 5 more catches and 28.5 on Thursday night.  I'd bet he continues to see lots of work in the passing game, making him the closest thing to consistent in this particular backfield.  I wouldn't have any issue playing him as my flex in PPR leagues moving forward.  

Agree with Darin here. I've carried Hines on my dynasty squad since he was drafted and for deeper leagues he's pretty good as a bye week filler. He's probably never going to be a starter, but you can count on him to be involved pretty much every week. I included him in a trade earlier this season.

Edited by rajncajn