[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Say goodnight, Gregg Williams

DMD

53 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

This isn't the first time Williams pulled something like this. His arrogance cost the Saints a Superbowl appearance in 2011 and a lot of fans still believe it was done on purpose.

I watched the Jets play and honestly I don't understand it, they were on the 46 yard line and why would you rush everyone and leave single coverage with no safety help-- that is one of the few ways a guy can get completely open and beat you, especially when you have an undrafted slow as molasses rookie at CB. That makes zero sense.  He could have chucked it up and had a decent chance at a TD even throwing it up blindly. 

I am not saying it is intentional but it is very strange.  Rajn what was your point about it being possibly intentional? I don't know specifically what you mean 

25 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I watched the Jets play and honestly I don't understand it, they were on the 46 yard line and why would you rush everyone and leave single coverage with no safety help-- that is one of the few ways a guy can get completely open and beat you, especially when you have an undrafted slow as molasses rookie at CB. That makes zero sense.  He could have chucked it up and had a decent chance at a TD even throwing it up blindly. 

I am not saying it is intentional but it is very strange.  Rajn what was your point about it being possibly intentional? I don't know specifically what you mean 

the single coverage was a poorly performing rookie no less.

I am not a huge conspiracy guy, but others are saying it was intentional and the subsequent Williams firing a cover up.  Paying Williams to keep his mouth shut on a very rich contract for the next few years.  The whole thing does not pass the smell test.   

Edited by Dcat

Anything other then a Gase firing is just deflection from what is going on in the organization.  As a Miami fan I have a severely deep rooted dislike towards the big apple, but this current disgrace is a bit much even for me. 

18 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

He did the same thing in the 2011 playoffs vs the 49ers & put Vernon Davis alone in coverage. It cost the Saints the lead late in the 4th QTR. The Saints rallied back and scored another TD with just a minute & a half left and since the 49ers failed their 2 pt conversion & the Saints made theirs the 49ers had to score a TD to win. Williams never adjusted his aggressive play calling on the last drive & got burned deep again by Davis on a 47 yd bomb while Williams was sending in another blitz. It was stupid leaving Malcom Jenkins on an island with Davis the first time because he was already having a great game and the situation didn't call for it, but not going to more of a prevent on the last drive with under a minute and letting San Fran drive 85 yds to win was absolutely inexcusable.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I am not a huge conspiracy guy, but others are saying it was intentional and the subsequent Williams firing a cover up.  Paying Williams to keep his mouth shut on a very rich contract for the next few years.  The whole thing does not pass the smell test.   

Or, maybe it's just Gregg Williams being Gregg Williams.   The guy thinks he's smarter than everybody else, and wanted to end the game with a sack.  Simple as that.  Sometimes it works out, and sometimes he looks bad.  In this case, he didn't have much to lose.  Well, technically, he did (his job, I suppose), but I doubt that was a major concern, given the circumstances.  He wasn't going to be there much longer, anyway.  This way, he gets to be with his family for the holidays.  :shrug:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Or, maybe it's just Gregg Williams being Gregg Williams.   The guy thinks he's smarter than everybody else, and wanted to end the game with a sack.  Simple as that.  Sometimes it works out, and sometimes he looks bad.  In this case, he didn't have much to lose.  Well, technically, he did (his job, I suppose), but I doubt that was a major concern, given the circumstances.  He wasn't going to be there much longer, anyway.  This way, he gets to be with his family for the holidays.  :shrug:

That's my take, but you have to admit.. the conspiracy theories provide great intrigue.  :)

Jets fans have become fantastical conspiracy theorists over the last two decades, having Belichick as a divisional neighbor all these years and ownership (Woody and Chris Johnson) that makes inexplicable decisions that only severe congenital brain damage could explain.

49 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Well you correctly surmised my insinuation. That it was strange enough it makes me wonder if it was intentional. I'm not a big conspiracy guy myself it just seemed odd. I'm still inclined to believe it was an ego play/error on Gregg Williams' part probably

Edited by purplemonster

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

That's my take, but you have to admit.. the conspiracy theories provide great intrigue.  :)

Jets fans have become fantastical conspiracy theorists over the last two decades, having Belichick as a divisional neighbor all these years and ownership (Woody and Chris Johnson) that makes inexplicable decisions that only severe congenital brain damage could explain.

Yeah, I get it.  Everybody loves a good conspiracy.  All I'm saying is that there are way easier ways to make sure you lose a football game than to have your team play it's heart out to the point where you are in position for a big upset, then blow it on the last play of the game.  If the coaching staff/ownership really wanted to tank and lose that game, they would never have been in the position to win it, or come anywhere close.  And, they could have done so in a way less "obvious" way than blowing that last play. 

That play was the biggest ego in the room (or, in this case, on the field) being selfish and wanting to end the game his way, rather than the way that made sense.  From his perspective, it was a can't lose situation.  If the blitz works, he's a genius.  If it doesn't, worst case scenario, the Jets keep the #1 pick.  And, the thing people are forgetting is that the most likely ending in that scenario was neither one of those things (a sack or a TD).  A lot of things had to go perfectly right (or wrong, from the Jets' perspective) for that play to happen.  Carr throws an improbable perfect jump pass, Ruggs run the perfect route, etc.  

I think Williams knew that there was a small chance his call would completely backfire, but was willing to take the chance.  And it backfired perfectly.  It's like that time in third grade where I launched a ball across the playground at the kid who liked to be a bully.  Didn't expect to hit him, but thought there was a chance.  What I didn't account for was the slim chance that I would smoke another kid (an innocent bystander.... a girl, no less) right in the face.  But, it ended up being the most perfectly imperfect throw, and the next thing you know, I'm explaining myself to the principal in his office.  

Great and all, agree with lots of this, still do not see how Gase is not fired first and foremost.  I mean I get it.  That rookie GM they hired to a 6 year(!) contract is just begging for a splash pick so why not keep Gase around, but the optics of that loss is just too much.  Gase is in charge of Williams and he damn well should of gone out the door at the very least with Williams. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Yeah, I get it.  Everybody loves a good conspiracy.  All I'm saying is that there are way easier ways to make sure you lose a football game than to have your team play it's heart out to the point where you are in position for a big upset, then blow it on the last play of the game.  If the coaching staff/ownership really wanted to tank and lose that game, they would never have been in the position to win it, or come anywhere close.  And, they could have done so in a way less "obvious" way than blowing that last play. 

That play was the biggest ego in the room (or, in this case, on the field) being selfish and wanting to end the game his way, rather than the way that made sense.  From his perspective, it was a can't lose situation.  If the blitz works, he's a genius.  If it doesn't, worst case scenario, the Jets keep the #1 pick.  And, the thing people are forgetting is that the most likely ending in that scenario was neither one of those things (a sack or a TD).  A lot of things had to go perfectly right (or wrong, from the Jets' perspective) for that play to happen.  Carr throws an improbable perfect jump pass, Ruggs run the perfect route, etc.  

I think Williams knew that there was a small chance his call would completely backfire, but was willing to take the chance.  And it backfired perfectly.  It's like that time in third grade where I launched a ball across the playground at the kid who liked to be a bully.  Didn't expect to hit him, but thought there was a chance.  What I didn't account for was the slim chance that I would smoke another kid (an innocent bystander.... a girl, no less) right in the face.  But, it ended up being the most perfectly imperfect throw, and the next thing you know, I'm explaining myself to the principal in his office.  

Agreed. Definitely think it was Williams trying to be Williams.  Plus, from @rajncajn post, it's not the 1st time he's done it.  The whole situation is a J-O-K-E, JOKE, JOKE, JOKE!

2 minutes ago, Def. said:

Great and all, agree with lots of this, still do not see how Gase is not fired first and foremost.  I mean I get it.  That rookie GM they hired to a 6 year(!) contract is just begging for a splash pick so why not keep Gase around, but the optics of that loss is just too much.  Gase is in charge of Williams and he damn well should of gone out the door at the very least with Williams. 

One would think.  But not in Florham Park, NJ.  

I actually feel bad for the Jets players.  They played their butts off, and should have gotten the win.  You can tell by the way they were celebrating every big play that they made... they wanted to win that game.  

The other thing is... 95% of those guys are playing for their jobs.  Or playing for their next contract.  Coaches included.  And, nobody, coach or player, wants the distinction of being a part of an 0-16 team on their resume.  

• Like 1

I thought hearing Williams was fired would make me feel good. It's only dug up bad memories. Hate that guy. Hope he ends up coaching a JV team in the coldest hell manure town on the planet. Oh yeah, I already said I hoped he went to the Falcons, sorry for the repeat.

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

This isn't the first time Williams pulled something like this. His arrogance cost the Saints a Superbowl appearance in 2011 and a lot of fans still believe it was done on purpose.

I think this stunt, blitzing on carr with everyone instead of being in prevent, was purposefully tossing the game.   No way anyone is that stupid IMO.  Not at that level.  Even the worst of the worst in the NFL have elite skill sets, coaches included.   Crap doesnt rise to the top here.  

Didnt know that about the Saints.  

9 hours ago, Gopher said:

He wasn't going to be there much longer, anyway.  This way, he gets to be with his family for the holidays.  :shrug:

And that's the biggest victory he's had all year!  Family for the holidays and with a better team next year. Win- win. 

23 hours ago, Gopher said:

Not everybody ;)  I mean if it is realistic and has some merit sure. But some just like to create the drama for drama sake, and the media knows that fans eat this up, so they grab hold and carry the torch. 

I didn't see the game, sounds like a bad choice, but like you said far simpler and less obvious ways to lose the game intentionally if that was the goal. 

23 hours ago, Gopher said:

Yeah, I get it.  Everybody loves a good conspiracy.

FWIW, I don't particularly buy into the conspiracy, but I do believe that Williams has a "I don't give a manure, I'm going to do it my way since I know I'm gone anyway" attitude.

24 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

FWIW, I don't particularly buy into the conspiracy, but I do believe that Williams has a "I don't give a manure, I'm going to do it my way since I know I'm gone anyway" attitude.

I agree.  But I don’t think his intention was to blow the game.  First and foremost, he was trying to end it in Gregg Williams fashion.... an all-out blitz that would hopefully end in a sack, or at least a situation where Carr had no time to throw any sort of quality pass.  Of course, he certainly knew the risk if it went wrong, and that’s where his ego comes into play.  In his mind, the potential reward was worth the risk, even though analytics and everyone else will tell you that the risk is much less if you drop seven, rush 3-4, and end the game.  He didn’t care.  Best case, he’s a genius.  Worst case, he gets fired, which was inevitably happening sooner or later anyway.  

It didn’t end like he would have preferred, but there’s really no skin off his back.  He’s still viewed as a very good, if not great, defensive mind who will ultimately get yet another opportunity if he wants one.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rajncajn said:

There is an old but great phrase ' don't ascribe malice to something that can be adequately explained by incompetence'. Or in this case ego as well.  It is a good phrase and usually correct.

• Like 1