[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are your lessons learned about drafting and the Fantasy Football season?

gijoerock

1 minute ago, awahl63 said:

Don’t be afraid to cut bait on players early for a juicy pick up.

I watched Robinson get picked up a nemesis as I had 3 strong running backs and didn’t want to lose Ruggs before the season started.

I also tell myself not to do this after I dropped James Jones week 1 after his goose egg. He proceeded to score double digit TDs and was the reason I lost in the playoffs. 

Oh yeah - stop winning points against. That’s my goal next year.

You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for sharing my internal thoughts and I will join you on the couch while the other teams compete in the playoffs 😜

12 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Dynasty... If you need to rebuild, then do it!

I realized my team last year was going no where and knew this draft class was going to be good. I sold most of my team, did a lot of trading and drafted...

DRAFT RESULTS FOR LIVE AND LET DY

1.055Mr. Big | Opie Dobbins, J.K. BAL RB (R)

1.066Mr. Big | Opie Lamb, CeeDee DAL WR 

1.077Mr. Big | Opie Jeudy, Jerry DEN WR

1.088Mr. Big | Opie Ruggs, Henry LVR WR (R

1.1111Mr. Big | Opie Jefferson, Justin MIN WR (R)

1.1212Mr. Big | Opie Higgins, Tee CIN WR (R)

1.1313Mr. Big | Opie Aiyuk, Brandon SFO WR (R)

1.1414Mr. Big | Opie Pittman, Michael IND WR (R)

Dang, I suppose if you are going for the rebuild you absolutely dove in head first.  I'm with you that if you need to rebuild you go for it, but I tend to try and spread the picks over a couple of years, so the few times I've done it, I may have traded for multiple 1st or 2nd in the current year, but then once draft hype hit I look to parlay them into some extra picks the following year as well.

• Thanks 1

I normally buy in to the wait on a QB theory of drafting, and I did that in all my drafts.  And it worked pretty well this year, but I watched a lot of team scoring explode with several of the top QB's.  I had to stream my middle of the road QBs, and never seem to get it right.  Usually, I just played who "all" of the ranking said was the best QB to play.  But my luck consistently ran bad with Goff, Stafford, Rivers, Wentz etc. Generally, my teams have made the playoffs, so I need to keep that in mind when trying to learn from my strategy in drafting.  

But I was envious of teams that simply drafted a great QB and just played them every week.  The QB position seems to be taking on increased scoring potential.  I'll keep it in mind next year.  

Edited by The Grey Pilgrim

On 12/11/2020 at 12:54 PM, League_Champion said:

The one thing that we learned from this year is RB, RB, RB and more Running Backs. You can plug & play most receivers based on matchup but you can never have too many RBs. 

I try to grab 3-4 RBs within 5 rounds.  The issue I have had is injuries.  Last year, 4 of my first 6 picks were RB.  Lamar Miller got hurt before the season and out for the season.  Then Barkley, Carson and Jacobs took turns on getting hurt.  Each guy missed at least 3 games.  Now this season, I decided to draft Barkley again.......ugh.  CEH was a bust.  Jon Taylor was up and down but seems to be finishing strong.  David Johnson was hurt or COVID.   

I think I will stick the RB strategy but I am not going to pass up on a guy like Kelce or if a WR like Adams or Metcalf are there, I would take a hard look at drafting those kind of guys.

I learn not to drop Justin Jefferson after two weeks.  Freaking annoys me that he blew up like that.  I was in a tough situation with having to find players due to injuries.  

Also learn after two years in a row of drafting Barkley to NEVER EVER pick him again. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

I learn not to drop Justin Jefferson after two weeks.  Freaking annoys me that he blew up like that.  I was in a tough situation with having to find players due to injuries.  

Also learn after two years in a row of drafting Barkley to NEVER EVER pick him again. 

2 years in a row Barkley has done this too my teams.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, rajncajn said:

Most times the only luck I find in fantasy football is bad luck. 

Sounds like the song lyrics from a song, specifically Born Under A Bad Sign by Cream

Born under a bad sign.
I've been down since I began to crawl.
If it wasn't for bad luck,
I wouldn't have no luck at all.

On 12/13/2020 at 9:12 AM, League_Champion said:

And it's not really about the draft anymore. It's all about your wire/free agent moves and in season trades. My rosters look NOTHING like they did on draft night. You wouldn't even recognize my team. 

Agreed. Except in guillotine.  The rosters don't change as much because each move is so critical.

Wide receivers are becoming relevant, in general, much more quickly than they used to.  Not all of them, but a lot more than what I'm used to seeing. The old adage that "WR's typically break out in Year 3" (on average) is a thing of the past.  Jefferson is a stud.  Lamb would have been had Dak not gone down.  Claypool, Higgins, Aiyuk, Pittman will all likely be no worse than a legit WR3 next year, or maybe even WR2, depending on scoring/format/league size.  Even the guys who haven't been quite as good (Jeudy, Ruggs, Reagor) are making more of an impact that many rookies have before them.  

I used to avoid almost all rookie WR's in redraft leagues.  If you do that now, you're doing yourself a great disservice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Big Country said:

DId my first Guillotine league this year and I am hooked. Already looking forward to doing it again next year.

Yep.... I joined four mid-season (between Weeks 4 and 7).  Still alive in two.  With only three teams left, it’s no longer about having the best team, but rather 100% about picking the right lineup.  Such a different format and strategy... I’m hooked as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

I play in a deep Dynasty League where there are limits as to how many players you can drop or pick up during the season, so take this for what it's worth.

This year, the key was to have depth through diversification across teams.

In year's past, you could afford to "handcuff" a player in case one of your key starters got injured.

In the age of COVID-19, where un-infected players can literally be left on the tarmac due to "close contact" with someone who tested positive, the handcuff strategy was a liability.  And, that made me go back and look at previous the previous 20 seasons and the conclusion I came to is that "handcuff" picks are largely wasted picks - in both dynasty and redraft leagues.