[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Rules vs. Norms

JonnyNorse

I have an owner who is frustrated that people not in the playoffs, (they're in the consolation playoffs but whatever) are picking up people off waivers and playing them. He feels that owners not in the playoffs shouldn't be able to pick up players off waivers to play in games "that don't mean anything."  

What is the policy in your league?

The consolation tournament doesn't have any bearing (no winnings for that bracket, no draft pick for next year, etc), its strictly for fun.  

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, JonnyNorse said:

I have an owner who is frustrated that people not in the playoffs, (they're in the consolation playoffs but whatever) are picking up people off waivers and playing them. He feels that owners not in the playoffs shouldn't be able to pick up players off waivers to play in games "that don't mean anything."  

The consolation tournament doesn't have any bearing (no winnings for that bracket, no draft pick for next year, etc), its strictly for fun.  

Thoughts?

In my leagues, if you are playing games and the waiver wire is open (in several of my leagues, waiver wire/FA is closed once playoffs start), then you are free to use the waiver wire.

Granted, in any of my leagues with a consolation bracket, we do have a value tied to that (small prize money or determination of draft order next season), so I can understand his frustration, but I still think that they can/should be able to perform waivers.

Based on what I've heard here most leagues allow teams still actively playing for something (including a consolation bracket) to make waiver moves, just like teams in the playoffs. In our league (and I'm sure many others) the losers in the semi final face each other for 3rd place with some more $$ on the line. Should those owners be put behind the two title contenders in waiver order so the real contenders get first chance?

Also knowing the rules of leagues you play in, I get really irritated when I read some of these stories and it sounds like an owner just became aware of the rules when the activity happens, and then they complain and want the commissioner to break the rules to suit them. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Based on what I've heard here most leagues allow teams still actively playing for something (including a consolation bracket) to make waiver moves, just like teams in the playoffs. In our league (and I'm sure many others) the losers in the semi final face each other for 3rd place with some more $$ on the line. Should those owners be put behind the two title contenders in waiver order so the real contenders get first chance?

Also knowing the rules of leagues you play in, I get really irritated when I read some of these stories and it sounds like an owner just became aware of the rules when the activity happens, and then they complain and want the commissioner to break the rules to suit them. 

Yet another reason why blind bidding and not a waiver order should be used in fantasy football ---   though that is a discussion for another time and honestly I believe I can make valid arguments for both kinds of systems based on the type of league that it is.

8 hours ago, JonnyNorse said:

Thoughts?

If its in your league, then thats all that amtters.  Whats in my league is moot.  Your guy didnt join my league, and visa versa.  

Buyers remorse is for ______ and ________, neither of which is someone I spend much time worrying about.

If he doesnt like it, push for change NEXT season or join a different league (or start your own).  

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

This.  

NOt to be crass, but now is not the time to ocnsider this.  And as for wishing or hoping it were different, I'll paraphrase my Momma FTD: " wish it were different in one hand and take a dump in the other, see which one fills up first.  "

God bless momma.