[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Brady/Belichick debate is over

League_Champion

41 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I agree but doesn't Belichick assemble the talent there? He didn't look like a genius this year. 

often NEP thrive on defense.  Didn't 5-10 defenders opt out.

Last year they were deprived of talent and they never really addressed it.

not only did brady walk into Evans, Godwin, Howard, Brate, Ronald jones...but they brought in fournette, a brown and gronk.  I am not sure brady has had as many solid options in his career.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

often NEP thrive on defense.  Didn't 5-10 defenders opt out.

Last year they were deprived of talent and they never really addressed it.

not only did brady walk into Evans, Godwin, Howard, Brate, Ronald jones...but they brought in fournette, a brown and gronk.  I am not sure brady has had as many solid options in his career.

This 100%.

28 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I agree 💯. But as a genius wouldn't you think Belichick could assemble a better roster? The rosters weren't exactly the greatest when Brady was there. 

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I agree 💯. But as a genius wouldn't you think Belichick could assemble a better roster? The rosters weren't exactly the greatest when Brady was there. 

They lost a lot of starters.  Not easy to replace, even with a next man up mindset.  

think back to 2019.   The teams was driven by a pretty wonderful defense. I know that they got complacent playing in the afce, but Cam and sanu isn’t enough to compete 

Pats also had no cap space this year if I remember correctly which limited them from "assembling" talent.  Make no mistake, they sold out for those last couple runs and now will spend a good couple years rebuilding.  Pretty sure the oft quiet BB even stated something similar during the year.

Though to be fair to the thread I didn't read the article, looks like click trash to me.  Just my :2cents: 

On 1/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, Bier Meister said:

They lost a lot of starters.  Not easy to replace, even with a next man up mindset.  

think back to 2019.   The teams was driven by a pretty wonderful defense. I know that they got complacent playing in the afce, but Cam and sanu isn’t enough to compete 

People that understand football get all this, and stuff about their contract situation. Not sure if LC really doesn't get that or is just tossing out BS to generate more posts. Starting to think he was hired by somebody to make the Huddle Forums look less dead. 

Pats players opting out included RB Bolden, OT Cannon, S Chung, LB Hightower, WR Lee, OG Toran, FB Vitale, TE LaCosse   Chung and Hightower were big parts of the defense. Oh they also lost their francise QB. The Bucs had one guy sit out (T Brad Seaton) and gained a franchise QB. They also have a pretty good coach. 

Let’s not forget that the coach didn’t really get to do his thing, you know, coaching.  The NFL played on minimum practice.  A talented player can overcome that, but a coach that thrives on that time will suffer by comparison.

Neither is winning a lombardi trophy, and Brady couldn’t didn’t his division with a long absence by Brees.  The relationship was symbiotic IMO, and neither will have the same level of success again.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 4:51 PM, League_Champion said:

Well stated Nick. It was the perfect marriage at the perfect time. I doubt we'll ever see that kind of dominance again. It was quite an impressive run. 

I also agree that's probably about the right answer. If you do have to choose between a good coach and a good QB choose the QB. Belichick managed the salary cap extremely well and was a great in-game strategizer. But at the end of the day you need a QB to put the ball on time and on target as well as think for himself when things go wrong and play well in crunch time, all of which Brady did.  

It would be interesting to see what would happen if for instance you gave the Patriots Anthony Lynn as head coach and how many Super Bowls would they win. Or give them Andy Dalton and see how many Super Bowls they win.

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 5:51 PM, League_Champion said:

Well stated Nick. It was the perfect marriage at the perfect time. I doubt we'll ever see that kind of dominance again. It was quite an impressive run. 

Along came the Chiefs and Mahomes... maybe?

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Yeah, very early. I wouldn't be shocked to see 2-3 out of that group but it's so hard to get to and win a Superbowl, when the AFC West is just a notch above the NFC Least. 

Wow slinging more nonsense I see, AFCW is light years ahead of your train wreck of a division. 

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wow slinging more nonsense I see, AFCW is light years ahead of your train wreck of a division. 

True, although if Dallas can get Dak back and add some defensive pieces, along with Washington getting a QB to go with that defense and running game, it'll be more competitive. 

58 minutes ago, irish said:

True, although if Dallas can get Dak back and add some defensive pieces, along with Washington getting a QB to go with that defense and running game, it'll be more competitive. 

Dallas has been playing the "if" game for over two decades. As long as Jerry Jones remains in charge I think they will continue to struggle. 

34 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Dallas has been playing the "if" game for over two decades. As long as Jerry Jones remains in charge I think they will continue to struggle. 

True, and getting Dak, who some had doubts about pre-injury, to play well and solidifying that defense are big IFs.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:22 PM, LordOpie said:

I thought your meant recent. Sure, but doesn't Brady have more Superbowls than afcw combined?

I'm not really sure what we're talking about :)

Just LC posting nonsense then trying to defend it. If he doesn't make 100 posts a day he doesn't get his reward. The more controversial the better. 

• Confused 1