[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears keep gm Ryan Pace and hc Matt Nagy, dc Chuck Pagano retires

Wolverines Fan

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30701671/sources-chuck-pagano-retire-chicago-bears-likely-retain-matt-nagy-ryan-pace

Bears chairman George McCaskey said he was impressed by Nagy leading the team to the playoffs despite a six game losing streak and by how well he works with Pace.

Translation: ownership doesn't want to eat the $ remaining on Nagy and Pace's contracts. :weird: :nutkick:

• Sad 2

Sigh.  Looking forward to another 8-8ish type of season next year... either just missing the playoffs or finding a way in, only to lose in the first round.

They need to hit multiple homeruns on draft picks this coming April.

I like Allen Robinson but he just doesn't do it for me as a true #1 WR.   Darnell Mooney has promise but he's not a prototypical #1 either.

Cole Kmet shows promise and I think we can experiment with Mitch Trubisky another year.  Love David Montgomery.

Defense is solid but losing Pagano is going to sting unless they can find a hotshot with some great ideas as to how to unleash Khalil Mack a little more.

The Bears have Trubisky and Allen Robinson as UFA and Robinson may end up as a franchise tag. He was ticked off that CHI wouldn't make a deal last summer and now as a free agent will be pursued by other teams. I've never personally seen that Matt Nagy is a difference maker as a coach and I think he's a liability most of the time since CH has kinda squandered a few years of a great defense by pushing an ineffective offense. That has to do with Trubisky, but also in the way that they used (or more accurately did not use) Montgomery. Nagy seems to like gimmick stuff and trying to look like he's smarter than he is. Cordarrelle Patterson is not and will never be a running back, for one.

When they say they were impressed by Nagy leading the team to the playoffs, let's see how that played out:

CHI went 1-6 against teams with a winning record. They beat the visiting Buccaneers 20-19 in Week 5 with minimal offense. One point away froma 7-9 record and 0-7 vs winning records.

They pulled out of their six-game nosedive thanks to facing three teams with losing records. Then pummeled again going against the playoff-bound Packers.

They will stick with Trubisky and Nagy. I think they will lose Robinson. And pretty much the same thing is going to happen all over again in 2021 because they have remained a below-average team with Nagy there.

CHI.png

I grew up on the Bears and can't fathom what's happened to this once proud (like 35 years ago) franchise. Uninspired coaching, dreadful drafting aka poor general managing, no QB, a meh o-line, the list goes on and on.

I don't know what their schedule is next year but 8-8 again would be a dream season. 4-12 would surprise no one. Now we can all wait for the desperation Ryan Pace draft and/or trade maneuvers to try and save their job - credit to Robert Mays for pointing this out in his podcast this week.

The franchise summary in a nutshell.  George (owner/board) states Ted the slug is CEO of the franchise.  However asked if Ted is involved in the football operation decisions he says no, Pace the GM is in charge of the operations since Ted and himself are not really football ops guys.  So asked when who makes decisions on if Pace the idiot drafter is retained.  Well that goes back to Ted in conjunction with himself and the board.  But how is he evaluated if those above him are not football ops?  Well the short answer is they have a hierarchy they believe works and in this instance the GM is in charge of the football operations.  

Confused yet? I'd be surprised if you weren't.  This was only a brief snippet of the owner's radio interviews yesterday. 

Oh and just to note, Ted the slug is one of the reasons the Bears got a stadium in city limits.  Since that day he has seemingly been untouchable, because they will not move him out in any way (promote/fire) to bring a more football operations management presence in to upper management.  And why should they?  They've made bank since then because despite everything Ted runs a profitable business, which includes a history of being cheap as (the really bad word) when it comes to GMs and coaches. 

So which is it?  Are they not cleaning house because they do not want to eat the remaining year on Pace and 2 years on Nagy; or do they simply lack a plan and truly believe seeing how the next year goes will provide them the answers on how to proceed with the future of the franchise?

If you ask me, it's because they're cheap as dirt and with the losses they will be taking this year and next due to Covid they're feeding us a huge pile of bullmanure.  But if I was a fan, I'd be very afraid if that second option is the real reason. 

4 hours ago, Def. said:

So which is it?  Are they not cleaning house because they do not want to eat the remaining year on Pace and 2 years on Nagy; or do they simply lack a plan and truly believe seeing how the next year goes will provide them the answers on how to proceed with the future of the franchise?

If you ask me, it's because they're cheap as dirt and with the losses they will be taking this year and next due to Covid they're feeding us a huge pile of bullmanure.  But if I was a fan, I'd be very afraid if that second option is the real reason. 

Good stuff Def. It seems like there is a lot more going on there than the average onlooker knows. It's a very similar situation to what's going on in Philly with Jeffrey Laurie and Howie Roseman. Roseman is a lawyer, a salary cap guy. He has no business running an NFL draft or making personnel decisions and his drafts show why. 

I guess George is content 

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2021 at 4:56 PM, darin3 said:

I like Allen Robinson but he just doesn't do it for me as a true #1 WR.   Darnell Mooney has promise but he's not a prototypical #1 either.

Robinson just got the franchise tag, per NFLN.

Edited by Big John

3 hours ago, Big John said:

Robinson just got the franchise tag, per NFLN.

It would have been a shock for all of us if they hadn't tagged ARob.

But with Pace calling the shots you never know. 

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

What the heck are they going to do at QB? If I was them I'd at least kick the tires on Darnold. I'm not sure what other realistic options there are. 

No.  And I'm a Darnold fan, just don't think he'd be a huge upgrade over Trubisky.  I HATED the Trubisky pick.  Still do.  But think they need to stick with him and try surrounding their investment with oodles of talent.  A-Rob is nice, but they need another WR and a stud TE that Trubisky can find hanging out in the flat when he's scrambling.  And they need a dominant OL that can both pass and run block.  If they give Trubisky options, I think he'd be more than serviceable.  

3 minutes ago, darin3 said:

No.  And I'm a Darnold fan, just don't think he'd be a huge upgrade over Trubisky.  I HATED the Trubisky pick.  Still do.  But think they need to stick with him and try surrounding their investment with oodles of talent.  A-Rob is nice, but they need another WR and a stud TE that Trubisky can find hanging out in the flat when he's scrambling.  And they need a dominant OL that can both pass and run block.  If they give Trubisky options, I think he'd be more than serviceable.  

I thought the Bears didn't exercise the option. Isn't he a free agent? I may be wrong 

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I thought the Bears didn't exercise the option. Isn't he a free agent? I may be wrong 

I'm hopeful they re-sign him.  Sorry, should have qualified that.  I think they'd be best off with him at QB.  I know they are still in the Watson sweepstakes and that would be HUGE if it happened.  I'd just rather them re-sign Trubisky, who has history with the franchise and system, than go after a guy like Darnold.

2 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I'm hopeful they re-sign him.  Sorry, should have qualified that.  I think they'd be best off with him at QB.  I know they are still in the Watson sweepstakes and that would be HUGE if it happened.  I'd just rather them re-sign Trubisky, who has history with the franchise and system, than go after a guy like Darnold.

You're probably right. They may have no choice if Watson is off limits. I can definitely see a scenario where they trade with Jets for the #2 pick and draft Wilson or Fields and let Foles teach them the ropes for a year. They need to start looking ahead 

Ok I'm local in Chicago and simply put, (the really bad word) that.  Trubisky is utter dog manure and would rather suffer another year of Foles failing due to his lack of arm talent rather then watch Mitch fail due to sheer stupidity.  It's just not going to happen for him here.   

Oh and I'm not even a fan.  All my local friends will pretty much burn down Halas Hall if Pace resigns him.  You cannot bring back all 3 of the failing components of this franchise (Mitch, Pacy, Nagy) for the last 4 years, just simply can't.  It would be one hell of a (the really bad word) you to the fanbase, and honestly don't think the fans will tolerate it anymore.  Bulls, Hawks, Sox all ascending and the Cubs will always be beloved as long as they play in Wrigley.  Why spend money/time on a team with one of the manuretiest stadiums in the league, that refuses to make any changes to any management despite 22 years of incompetence, and who's best QB historically is a guy who played possibly before their grandfather was even born. 

If they did that Halas will burn, and at this point it would be the only goddamn riot I've ever supported.    

(Yes, the hyperbole is thick I know...but hard not to listening to the locals though.)    

Edited by Def.
  • Like 1

Right on queue too...who the hell does this? Why the hell would you do that? 

Bears signed K Cairo Santos to a five-year, $16 million contract. 

As Over The Cap pointed out on Twitter, 29-year-old Santos has been cut five times since 2018. To say it's an aggressive move would be putting it mildly. The Bears were simply overjoyed by Santos' competent 2020 after years in the kicker wilderness. Santos converted 93.8 percent of his 2020 field goal tries, boosting his career mark to 83.1. Santos is not called on very often from 50-plus yards, making him an extra unlikely recipient of this kind of contract. There's a chance this deal could quickly become an albatross. 

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Potentially less than objective outside observer: this sounds like Stockholm Syndrome. I would take a flier on Darnold any day before I'd re-sign Trubisky. He's that dreadful. 

With the coaching in Chicago, though, it's likely rearranging deck chairs. Still - you gotta try something different because the offense is unwatchable.

ETA: Fitzmagic would be interesting here. No way Pace and Nagy last long and Fitzpatrick could be a very serviceable stopgap that improves the quality of play overnight.

Edited by stethant

13 hours ago, stethant said:

Potentially less than objective outside observer: this sounds like Stockholm Syndrome. I would take a flier on Darnold any day before I'd re-sign Trubisky. He's that dreadful. 

With the coaching in Chicago, though, it's likely rearranging deck chairs. Still - you gotta try something different because the offense is unwatchable.

ETA: Fitzmagic would be interesting here. No way Pace and Nagy last long and Fitzpatrick could be a very serviceable stopgap that improves the quality of play overnight.

But Fitz does nothing for the future of the QB position. It would be a waste unless its to play while a young QB learns. I thought Trubisky played better after he returned from being benched, like he figured some stuff out. Don't matter much to me, I've watched my own team flounder for two decades looking for their franchise QB. Of course some people think they should still be looking, and that Mayfield isn't good enough or is just average.  

55 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

But Fitz does nothing for the future of the QB position. It would be a waste unless its to play while a young QB learns. I thought Trubisky played better after he returned from being benched, like he figured some stuff out. Don't matter much to me, I've watched my own team flounder for two decades looking for their franchise QB. Of course some people think they should still be looking, and that Mayfield isn't good enough or is just average.  

He did start to figure some things out.  And he fits the mold of the mobile QB that is the rage right now.  Foles is garbage.  

This franchise is a joke, might as well bring in a QB that knows the system and flashes some examples of being what the modern QB needs to be.