[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL salary cap might drop to $180 million in 2021

League_Champion

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Many teams are already in cap hell for next year. Does this mean we'll see a lot of discounted free agents next year? Perhaps a ton of backloaded deals? 

https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/1/20/22240238/report-nfl-salary-cap-drop-2021-patriots

I've come to believe that the salary cap is a lot of overblown drama. Good NFL GMs will restructure contracts, add signing bonuses etc to make the cap work.

5 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I've come to believe that the salary cap is a lot of overblown drama. Good NFL GMs will restructure contracts, add signing bonuses etc to make the cap work.

Well the Saints are one of the teams that are about to enter some very unpleasant cap territory, so for their sake I hope you're right.

Usually when a HOF QB retires there's a temptation to hit the reset button but I wonder with Kamara and Thomas signed, if the Saints could keep right on competing even with a Jameis-level QB. Your defense is very good too. If I were NO I'd be tempted to try and make a go of it next year, even with the hard choices about players' salaries and deals.

13 minutes ago, stethant said:

Well the Saints are one of the teams that are about to enter some very unpleasant cap territory, so for their sake I hope you're right.

Usually when a HOF QB retires there's a temptation to hit the reset button but I wonder with Kamara and Thomas signed, if the Saints could keep right on competing even with a Jameis-level QB. Your defense is very good too. If I were NO I'd be tempted to try and make a go of it next year, even with the hard choices about players' salaries and deals.

The Saint salary cap position is really bad, Mickey Loomis is going to need to work some magic, according to spotrac.com they are about 110M over the cap for next year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, rajncajn said:

As I was saying...

Maybe they're getting ready to bring Wentz in. 

8 hours ago, rajncajn said:

As I was saying...

As I was saying...

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/drew-brees-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

Let’s take a look at his contract, the Saints salary cap as it stands, and how Brees’ seemingly imminent retirement impacts the cap.

However, on February 5th, news broke that Brees had renegotiated his contract with the Saints. With Brees expected to retire this offseason, he agreed to reduce his salary to the veteran minimum of $1.075 million. As none of Brees’ salary was guaranteed in 2021, there is no reason for him not to reduce his salary. Brees will receive none of his salary in 2021 as it would not be paid until he played in a game.

How does Drew Brees’ potential retirement affect the Saints’ salary cap?

Brees retirement would be a benefit for the Saints purely from a salary cap point of view. Losing Drew Brees is not a good thing, but from a contract and salary cap situation, getting the $25 million in salary Brees was due off the books gives them some breathing space. By renegotiating the deal the Saints have removed $24 million of that money from their cap hit immediately.

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Welcome to New Orleans Mr. Wentz. 

Restructuring allows them to wait until June for Brees to make a decision. It also gives them options,  which would include resigning Winston. I honestly don't think Wentz is coming to New Orleans,  though I would like to see him here.

9 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I think Wentz would be a great fit in NO 

I'd say that I'm about 80% certain it's going to be Winston, 8% Drew and 2% someone else next season. I would like to see them bring in someone like Trubisky or Darnold though. 

Edited by rajncajn

4 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I'd say that I'm about 80% certain it's going to be Winston, 8% Drew and 2% findings else next season. I would like to see them bring in someone like Trubisky or Darnold though. 

I'm one of the few Jameis fans. I believe that if coached up he can be very good. And who better than Payton to do it? 

On 2/6/2021 at 2:32 PM, rajncajn said:

I'd say that I'm about 80% certain it's going to be Winston, 8% Drew and 2% someone else next season. I would like to see them bring in someone like Trubisky or Darnold though. 

What about the other 10%? ;)   I know, the,80% was supposed to be 90%  Trubisky could be an interesting proposition, see if Payton can do something with him. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

What about the other 10%? ;)   I know, the,80% was supposed to be 90%  Trubisky could be an interesting proposition, see if Payton can do something with him. 

I was adjusting & didn't follow thru.