[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Phillip Rivers retires

BillyBalata

Philip Rivers announced his retirement after 17 NFL seasons. 

Colts general manager had said Rivers would make a decision about his retirement next month, but Rivers, 39, only needed two weeks to say he would leave the game after 16 years with the Chargers and one season with Indianapolis. Rivers, who will become the head coach at St. Michael Catholic High School in Alabama, threw for at least 30 touchdowns six times in his career, topping 4,500 passing yards in five seasons. Incredibly, he didn't miss a game since taking over as the Chargers' starting QB in 2006. Rivers and the Chargers had a run of excellent regular seasons with LaDainian Tomlinson as the team's offensive centerpiece, only to falter in the postseason, sometimes in heart wrenching fashion. In his only season with the Colts, Rivers led the team to the playoffs before losing to the Bills in the Wild Card round. Rivers' oddball sidearm delivery will go down as one of the quirkiest and most effective throwing motions in league history. The Colts will bring in new quarterbacks via the NFL draft or free agency -- perhaps both. QB Jacoby Brissett is an unrestricted free agent. 

Colts already consider Brissett a step down from Rivers. I could see them wanting him to come back, but I doubt they see him as a starter. I can't see him walking in as a starter anywhere else either honestly though. Maybe they bring him back to be the temporary guy or insurance if they see enough in Eason or maybe bring in another short term guy like Rivers? Eason had arguably the best arm talent in the draft, but his decision-making was suspect. I think he's intriguing as a possible long-term solution, but I don't know if he's ready for the NFL yet.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Colts already consider Brissett a step down from Rivers. I could see them wanting him to come back, but I doubt they see him as a starter. I can't see him walking in as a starter anywhere else either honestly though. Maybe they bring him back to be the temporary guy or insurance if they see enough in Eason or maybe bring in another short term guy like Rivers? Eason had arguably the best arm talent in the draft, but his decision-making was suspect. I think he's intriguing as a possible long-term solution, but I don't know if he's ready for the NFL yet.

I think Brissett has enough talent to run that offense.  They are going to start leaning on Jonathan Taylor even more as he progresses anyways.

That being said, maybe there's a chance that the new regime in Philly thinks that Wentz is not the answer and Hurts is... and Wentz can reunite with his old coach.

11 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I think Brissett has enough talent to run that offense.  They are going to start leaning on Jonathan Taylor even more as he progresses anyways.

That being said, maybe there's a chance that the new regime in Philly thinks that Wentz is not the answer and Hurts is... and Wentz can reunite with his old coach.

Would love to see that but with Pedersen sent packing, I fear that ship has sailed and Wentz stays with Philly. 

12 minutes ago, irish said:

Would love to see that but with Pedersen sent packing, I fear that ship has sailed and Wentz stays with Philly. 

Could be.  But who knows who they hire and who that hire feels is the QB of the future.  Both Wentz and Hurts fit the mold of the "new school QB" but Hurts takes it to another level.  As a Wentz owner in a superflex dynasty, I just hope the guy gets a chance.

And as to not derail the thread, I think Indy would be awesome with Wentz under center.  Brissett would be a lower-end QB2 fantasy-wise.

9 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Could be.  But who knows who they hire and who that hire feels is the QB of the future.  Both Wentz and Hurts fit the mold of the "new school QB" but Hurts takes it to another level.  As a Wentz owner in a superflex dynasty, I just hope the guy gets a chance.

And as to not derail the thread, I think Indy would be awesome with Wentz under center.  Brissett would be a lower-end QB2 fantasy-wise.

Considering so much of the talk about Pederson being let go is the disagreement on who is the QB of the future, I doubt Laurie and his GM are going to allow a new coach to come in and do exactly what Pederson was planning to do (move on from Wentz). 

I'd like to see it, fresh start and all that. I read this article earlier today about 5 possible options, including Wentz, 2 QBs in the draft plus Stafford and Darnold. 

RIVERS was definitely a pretty darn good QB. I've had him on numerous fantasy teams over the years and didn't care about all the int's he was prone to throw at times. He was always a fiery competitor and could rack up the yardage. I have no doubt he'll get a spot in Canton. Dude has nine kids,9, so looks like.he wkn't.be resting anytime soon with that herd, lol.                                    Colts definitely need to get a.QB though. Brissett is not the answer if they want to get further in the playoffs than they did this year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Brilliant and funny!

I’ll never forget lining up for a play and Phil pointing to one of our linebackers and telling him he was lined up wrong based off the blitz we were about to run and being 100% correct about it haha. One of the smartest I’ve ever played against and a hell of a competitor

Lmao

That's hysterical!  

• 2 weeks later...

As a Navy transplant in San Diego, I had the pleasure of following the Chargers and Rivers entire career. His cross field verbal sparring with Jay Cutler was always high entertainment. As much as I loathe the Spanos family, I wish Rivers could have gotten to the dance. He was fun to watch. 

• Like 2