[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers sign former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins

League_Champion

Why not?  Y'all gotta remember, these are KIDS for the most part.  Kids that got everything handed to them starting in high school and through college.  Now that they're in the pros they think rules do not apply to them and have tons of cash to blow.

I'm not making excuses for them.  For the most part, the majority of them conduct themselves in a reasonable matter.  But when KIDS like Haskins do dumb things, we gotta remember where they've come from and what they're fortunate enough to have now.

Maybe he's a reclamation project.  Big Ben is no spring chicken (and made plenty of dumb mistakes himself) and Josh Dobbs is JAG.  Maybe the Steeler organization can make something of him.  He obviously has some talent.

3 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Why not?  Y'all gotta remember, these are KIDS for the most part.  Kids that got everything handed to them starting in high school and through college.  Now that they're in the pros they think rules do not apply to them and have tons of cash to blow.

I'm not making excuses for them.  For the most part, the majority of them conduct themselves in a reasonable matter.  But when KIDS like Haskins do dumb things, we gotta remember where they've come from and what they're fortunate enough to have now.

Maybe he's a reclamation project.  Big Ben is no spring chicken (and made plenty of dumb mistakes himself) and Josh Dobbs is JAG.  Maybe the Steeler organization can make something of him.  He obviously has some talent.

This for the most part

5 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Ohh, I have no problem with him personally or his previous actions. I just don't think he can play. That's my only point. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Ohh, I have no problem with him personally or his previous actions. I just don't think he can play. That's my only point. 

:lol:   Dude, did you see him shred up defenses at OSU?  The dude can play.  He just needs direction, I'm guessing.  He's gonna be a guy I look for in dynasty leagues if I want to keep a bun in the oven.

But yeah, then again, you think Hurts is a pile of garbage too so I'm not sure what you consider a quality NFL QB.  :shrug: 

18 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Dude, did you see him shred up defenses at OSU? 

You're giving me OSU where receivers were running wild, wide open beating corners by 15 yards, C'mon! How does that relate to the NFL where you have tiny windows to get it in?

An OSU QB is drafted every other year and they all suck, the Big Ten sucks. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Did you see Tim Tebow shred defenses while at Florida? There's a ton of great College QBs, It doesn't mean crap in relation to the NFL game. 

Aren't you the one acting like Trevor Lawrence is the next great one? 

Haskins is a first round pick, who just completed his 2nd season. There used to be a time when QBs would wait for years to develop and then be ready for their opportunity when it came. Many great ones have developed that way and we never get a chance to see them stink it up because they're not thrown into the fire (e.g. Rodgers, Young, Brady, Rivers, etc.). I think its a smart, risk free move by the Steelers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You don't think so? Every expert under the Sun will tell you he's the first can't miss prospect to come along since Manning/Luck. 

On 2021-01-21 at 8:14 PM, League_Champion said:

There's a ton of great College QBs, It doesn't mean crap in relation to the NFL game. 

How are both true? (I understand its others opinions, but if you believe college means crap in relationship to the nfl game, how can you believe there is a sure fire prospect?)

Edited by millworkguy
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

How are both true?

Are you serious? Have you not seen Trevor Lawrence's play? His skillset, arm strength, athleticism, intelligence and demeanor are ideal for the NFL. His skills translate more to the NFL than College. This is what scouts are saying, I'm not making this crap up. 

Edited by League_Champion

16 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

How are both true?

Dwayne Haskins is NOT Trevor Lawrence. Every QB prospect is different. We are not talking about the Drew Locks or Sam Darnold's of the world. This kid is different. What do you see that everyone else doesn't? 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Dwayne Haskins is NOT Trevor Lawrence. Every QB prospect is different. We are not talking about the Drew Locks or Sam Darnold's of the world. This kid is different. What do you see that everyone else doesn't? 

I didn't say I saw anything, just your comments.   If "college means crap about a QBs ability to succeed at the nfl level"(paraphrased) , how do you have a cant miss prospect based on their college career?   

The statements contradict each other.  

I argued with LC that Baker Mayfield was bad throughout 2019 because of an awful offensive line. He just said it was Baker who was the problem. Look what happened in 2020...a much improved offensive line and baker when 30 TDs with 9 picks and into the 2nd round of the Playoffs. He's not someone who's arguments about QBs I would take too seriously.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, loaf said:

I argued with LC that Baker Mayfield was bad throughout 2019 because of an awful offensive line. He just said it was Baker who was the problem. Look what happened in 2020...a much improved offensive line and baker when 30 TDs with 9 picks and into the 2nd round of the Playoffs. He's not someone who's arguments about QBs I would take too seriously.

Whoa! He was average at best and was horrible in many games. How many games did he lose them? Cleveland homers are amongst the finest. 

Screenshot_20210124-120747.png

• Confused 1

I usually don't agree with LC, but he's got a point. Saying "did you see what Haskins did at OSU" is meaningless to being able to play in the NFL. 

In the NFL he will NEVER play on a team that has that level of talent compared to their opponents. Being great in college or HS when your opponents are several steps below your talent level means very little when you get the NFL and things are more equal. So many of these athletic QBs in college can get away from the defense at will, but in the NFL most of them are caught before they gain yards. 

I do like the whole "so how can both of these be true" point, just shows that LC tends to say a lot of stuff without really thinking about it, and there are often contradictions. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I usually don't agree with LC, but he's got a point. Saying "did you see what Haskins did at OSU" is meaningless to being able to play in the NFL. 

In the NFL he will NEVER play on a team that has that level of talent compared to their opponents. Being great in college or HS when your opponents are several steps below your talent level means very little when you get the NFL and things are more equal. So many of these athletic QBs in college can get away from the defense at will, but in the NFL most of them are caught before they gain yards. 

I do like the whole "so how can both of these be true" point, just shows that LC tends to say a lot of stuff without really thinking about it, and there are often contradictions. 

Some of the things y'all say here just baffle me.  What in God's name do you think NFL scouts and front office staff are looking at?  His pee wee games?  :lol: Of COURSE they are looking at game film from college.  What in the actual eff are you talking about dude?

Yes, obviously the step-up in talent from college to the pros is significant, but if you suggest that they (and we) completely disregard college tape, as you are insinuating here, you are a complete dolt.  No other way to say it.

Edited by darin3

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Some of the things y'all say here just baffle me.  What in God's name do you think NFL scouts and front office staff are looking at?  His pee wee games?  :lol: Of COURSE they are looking at game film from college.  What in the actual eff are you talking about dude?

Yes, obviously the step-up in talent from college to the pros is significant, but if you suggest that they (and we) completely disregard college tape, as you are insinuating here, you are a complete dolt.  No other way to say it.

Nobody is suggesting anybody stop looking at any tape, but what I am saying is people need to stop this "did you see what he did in college?" line of talk when you know damn well that the level of talent they face on a top college team is far below that of even the worst NFL teams. I know that and I haven't followed CFB in a long time.

Its like hearing people say "well Alabama (OSU whoever) could easily beat a lot of the bad NFL teams". 

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

My logic is that every OSU QB looks great. How many were good pros? 

Massive difference between the likes of Cardale Jones and Haskins/Fields.

We'll see what happens.  I wouldn't be shocked if Haskins fizzles.  But I also won't be too surprised if he makes something of himself.  And Fields looks like the real deal too.  Projections are that he'll be in Detroit and assuming they don't get a legit QB back for Stafford, could be starting from Day One, and fits the mold of the new QB style that everyone wants.

I am not an OSU fan.  At all.  I just recognize talent and take scouts and other experts words at face value.  

If you are saying you're better at scouting than those guys, well then I don't know what else to say.  

• Confused 1