[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Report: the Lions plan to trade Matthew Stafford

Wolverines Fan

Well that's 2 QBs at almost 12% of the cap.   At least with Watson your getting youth. If the price (draft picks) is low enough I could see several teams taking a chance and drafting a qb this yr to learn under him.  I'm happy that the lions feel he has earned the right to have a solid team behind him, but I worry their expected return, and the market differ too much.

I'd be shocked if they got anything substantial in Return for him. That's a lot of dead money for an older QB who's been pretty banged up of late. 

• 2020 Roster Bonus: $6M (fully guarantees on the 3/17/2019, paid 3/22/2020, converted to signing bonus 2/27/19)
  • 2021 Roster Bonus: $10M (due the 5th league day of 2021)
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $10M due the 5th league day of 2022)
  • 2018-2022 Workout Bonus: $500,000
  • 2023 is a dummy/void year

So how can the Vikings move from Cousins to Stafford? As a Vikings fan I would be thrilled at the chance to have Stafford  be a Viking until we somehow get lucky in the draft and draft a new franchise QB.....LOL..it could happen :blink:....

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SEEDS said:

So how can the Vikings move from Cousins to Stafford? As a Vikings fan I would be thrilled at the chance to have Stafford  be a Viking until we somehow get lucky in the draft and draft a new franchise QB.....LOL..it could happen :blink:....

It can easily happen. I don't think it will take much. And Minnesota would probably be a decent fit for him.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:41 PM, SEEDS said:

I've thought about it but it feels like a lateral move.  I think the Vikes are going to be stuck for a while no matter what they do.  I am more down on Kirk than most Vikings fans, I just dont think he is a winner or brings enough intangibles. I still wish they had rolled with Teddy or even Keenum or some other free agent (can't remember who else was available back then) and saved money to get two or three good players instead. Neither Keenum or Teddy is that good but honestly not sure if it would have made much difference offensively, maybe a better team if we actually had some OL and DL help.  It runs through Cook mainly, Thielen catches everything, and Jefferson is a stud. Not sure any of that changes markedly with a different, cheaper QB. 

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 1:08 AM, Finn5033 said:

Great fit for Indy, if the price is right.

Stafford in Indy would be a dream for them - and Indy management is MUCH smarter than Detroit's. Stafford>Wentz for them.

I like the Patriots angle, but that feels like a franchise nearing a full teardown. 49ers would be very interesting and Stafford could finally reach his full potential, at least his late career potential.

Edited by stethant

On 1/23/2021 at 7:15 PM, SNOWBOUND33 said:

Stafford goes to GB to mentor Love because the Packers don't trust Rodgers now... And he goes to the Bears and wins a couple SB's  :shrug:

And then you woke up ;)  

Colts would be the front runners in my view. Not sure I believe the 49ers are ready to move on from Jimmy G. He was supposed to be superman, the Browns were getting hammered by people for not going after him harder when SF signed him. 

Somebody suggested Stafford to SF and Jimmy G return to NE, I get the feeling BB doesn't want him back, but Stafford would be more of a proven player (but they have very little on offense to help him). 

Uhhh, Niners say they aren't ready to move on from Jimmy G. Well,.as a lifelong 9ers fan I'M ready to move on from him. Dude will NOT win a superbowl for the 49ers. So, heck yeah I'd like to see them take a serious shot at Stafford even if he's been hurt some lately. Well, so has Jimmy G . Absolutely Stafford would be an upgrade over Garoppolo.

In a pretty tough competitve division we need better QB play and it's not gonna come from Jimmy G even if he did get us to the SB I just don't think he's capable winning the big one but I think Stafford would give us a better shot at getting our 6th ring.