[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buccaneers vs Packers (NFC Championship)

League_Champion

11 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You don't ever give Tom Brady the ball back with 2 minutes left, especially when you're losing. That's an all-time dumb call. 

I mainly agree. Even if they miss the ball is still on the 8 and are pinned back. Getting a FG, you only have one way to win.  Kickoff, hope there isnt a first down, then go 70 or 80 yards for a TD with limited time. They could have potentially tied it right there and even if they missed not really been in that much different shape and with better field position. 

Idk about all time worst, but not a good one.  It would be one thing to give the ball back to an avg or scared QB but this is Tom Brady.  

Edited by purplemonster

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. What the hell was LaFleur thinking?

@mattschneidman

·Matt LaFleur must've been waiting until he gets a quarterback better than Aaron Rodgers to go for it from the 8-yard line down 8 late in the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship Game

On the play before the field goal, i thought he could have just run it in. 

28 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

It was but there were 4 obvious holds against TB where the refs didn't call it.....two of them on 3rd down which gives the Packers automatic 1st downs.  1 of them happened on an interception too

I know the refs were letting things go but when a receivers jersey gets yanked like that,  it gets flagged 99 out of 100 (unless the refs don't see it).  That was more blatant than the others IMO.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

So what am I missing with all of this will Rodgers be back talk? He has two years left on his contract, and at minimum will be playing there next season due to the numbers involved with moving on from him. Highly doubt he’ll be traded so I’m not understanding this talk

Edited by Finn5033

9 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Doesn't sound like ARod was a huge fan of the decision 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aaron-rodgers-called-head-coach-024236140.html

And why the hell would be be!  He probably felt betrayed in the moment. 

44 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Another interesting thing to me is the lack of dominant run game in most of these teams.  Bucs, Bills, Chiefs really didn't have exceptional run games and 2 of those are moving on. Probably not a big boost for already devalued RB's

Honestly, when was the last time a run dominant team won the superbowl?  2013, Seattle? Maybe Denver, 2015?

30 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Honestly, when was the last time a run dominant team won the superbowl?  2013, Seattle? Maybe Denver, 2015?

San Fran kind of choked a SB win away.  But yea,  they had a great defense, so it seems like everything has to work right for the classic run first approach.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Another interesting thing to me is the lack of dominant run game in most of these teams.  Bucs, Bills, Chiefs really didn't have exceptional run games and 2 of those are moving on. Probably not a big boost for already devalued RB's

What's interesting is the defenses are "allowed to play" in the playoffs... At least until they're not. I get that in the playoffs the NFL wants the game to be more about what happens on the field & less about the refs, but it ends up having the opposite affect where the calls are much more subjective.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

On the play before the field goal, i thought he could have just run it in. 

+1. The problem was the 3 plays before 4th down. You can't run anything to cut into the 8 yards? I thought ARod maybe could've scored or at least cut the distance in half. To go 3 plays with zero yards was the larger problem for me. Once you're looking at 4th and 8 all your options are bad.

1 hour ago, stethant said:

+1. The problem was the 3 plays before 4th down. You can't run anything to cut into the 8 yards? I thought ARod maybe could've scored or at least cut the distance in half. To go 3 plays with zero yards was the larger problem for me. Once you're looking at 4th and 8 all your options are bad.

True, he had that TD no problem had he kept going. I watched that play a few times, it was an easy TD. 

13 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

So what am I missing with all of this will Rodgers be back talk? He has two years left on his contract, and at minimum will be playing there next season due to the numbers involved with moving on from him. Highly doubt he’ll be traded so I’m not understanding this talk

I like Rodgers a lot but he gets a little whiny sometimes and pulls this type of nonesense. Unless he plans on retiring he's not going anywhere. And I seriously doubt he's retiring anytime soon. 

47 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It was the right decision because they needed to score again regardless and regardless, they were giving the ball back to Tampa who, thanks to penalties, drove the ball into field goal range. Had they given Rodgers a 4th chance, scored and converted the two point conversion they still would have likely lost by a field goal as time expired.

Edited by rajncajn

31 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

the right decision because they needed to score again regardless and regardless, they were giving the ball back to Tampa

A TD & 2 point Conversion ties it there. They had to know that when down 5, with 2 minutes to go it was over. Brady can kill 2 minutes in his sleep. What are the chances of getting the ball back? And even if they don't score they'd have TB deep in their own territory with all 3 timeouts. I see no downside to going for it there. 

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

A TD & 2 point Conversion ties it there. They had to know that when down 5, with 2 minutes to go it was over. Brady can kill 2 minutes in his sleep. What are the chances of getting the ball back? And even if they don't score they'd have TB deep in their own territory with all 3 timeouts. I see no downside to going for it there. 

The downside is you're still down 8 and giving the ball back to Tampa if you don't score. Then you still have to hold Tampa, drive, score a TD & 2 point conversion just to tie vs kick the field goal, hold Tampa, drive & win with a touchdown. The field goal gives you a better chance to end it in regulation because in any scenario you're still giving the ball back to Tampa and have to stop them with enough time to score a touchdown/FG and, as I said, the results would have ended the same even if Green Bay had scored AND made the two point conversion since Green Bay couldn't stop Tampa from driving the field, running out the clock and closing the game out with a likely field goal.

Even not knowing that Tampa would would drive and score it's still the right decision by Lefleur with the expectation that his defense is able to stop Tampa, which would have to happen in any scenario, and then he would be putting the ball back into Rodgers' hands to win the game.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

The downside is you're still down 8 and giving the ball back to Tampa if you don't score. Then you still have to hold Tampa, drive, score a TD & 2 point conversion just to tie vs kick the field goal, hold Tampa, drive & win with a touchdown. The field goal gives you a better chance to end it in regulation because in any scenario you're still giving the ball back to Tampa and have to stop them with enough time to score a touchdown/FG and, as I said, the results would have ended the same even if Green Bay had scored AND made the two point conversion since Green Bay couldn't stop Tampa from driving the field, running out the clock and closing the game out with a likely field goal.

Even not knowing that Tampa would would drive and score it's still the right decision by Lefleur with the expectation that his defense is able to stop Tampa, which would have to happen in any scenario, and then he would be putting the ball back into Rodgers' hands to win the game.

Completely disagree. Obviously, there are differing opinions. But mine is that you go on 4th and 8 without hesitation. By settling for the FG, exactly what I feared would happen, did. The Bucs got the ball back and sealed the game having better field position helps. The Packers should have gone on 4th down and if they didn't score, they leave the Bucs with the ball on their own 8, with the 2 minute warning and 3 TOs at their disposal.

-If they tie the game, their defense will still have to try and hold the Bucs anyway to play for overtime. 

-If they score but miss the 2 pt conversion, they're in better shape than when they kicked the FG because if they get the ball back they can win with a FG and not worry about having to score with no TOs.

-The FG was a complete give up IMO, as they're still down by 5, would have no TOs left after, at best, holding the Bucs, and then have to drive to score to win. Least likely scenario for success. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, irish said:

The Bucs got the ball back and sealed the game

This would have happened regardless. The kickoff only cost them 9 yards since they pinned them at the 17 on the kickoff. Tampa drives the field and instead of kneeling on the last 1st down they have time & timeouts enough to get the ball closer into field goal range & the game is won with a field goal. I know that's hindsight, but Green Bay needed a field goal if they wanted to win in regulation regardless. I think way too much is being made about this decision & I fail to see how that's giving up or any slight towards Rodgers. That's expecting to get the ball back and win it with a touchdown because you've cut the lead to 5 rather than 8 and you have Aaron Rodgers to drive you to a win. A tie still gets you nothing but possibly more time, which you would have lost anyway because Tampa would have scored again on a field goal. They were in field goal range when the game ended & they had a 1st down with over 40 seconds left on the clock. There's no reason at all to think they wouldn't have done the same if they were coming from the 8 or the 15, up 1 point or tied.

14 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

This would have happened regardless. The kickoff only cost them 9 yards since they pinned them at the 17 on the kickoff. Tampa drives the field and instead of kneeling on the last 1st down they have time & timeouts enough to get the ball closer into field goal range & the game is won with a field goal. I know that's hindsight, but Green Bay needed a field goal if they wanted to win in regulation regardless. I think way too much is being made about this decision & I fail to see how that's giving up or any slight towards Rodgers. That's expecting to get the ball back and win it with a touchdown because you've cut the lead to 5 rather than 8 and you have Aaron Rodgers to drive you to a win. A tie still gets you nothing but possibly more time, which you would have lost anyway because Tampa would have scored again on a field goal. They were in field goal range when the game ended & they had a 1st down with over 40 seconds left on the clock. There's no reason at all to think they wouldn't have done the same if they were coming from the 8 or the 15, up 1 point or tied.

That's where we disagree. Sitting at their own 8 yard line, I don't think it's a guaranteed. Besides, I'd rather go for the tie and leave them in a precarious spot if I missed, than completely give up by kicking a FG.  As soon as I saw the FG unit come on, I had the feeling the game was over. I don't think it was a slight towards Rodgers, I truly believe LaFleur just made a decision that was more than likely not the favorable choice, statistically. He had a plan in mind that didn't work and I personally, just didn't agree with it. 

I can’t remember where I heard this but apparently kicking the field goal gave them a 2.5% better chance to win than going for it on 4th down. That’s just the football math which of course doesn’t take any consideration into the fact that Aaron Rodgers is the QB of the team and that Tom Brady is the QB you are giving the ball back to. There are a lot of reasons why it was the wrong choice, and not enough to reasons that it was the right choice. I know it seems crazy but that may have been the nail in the coffin for Rodgers and Green Bay from what I’m hearing. 

Here is the simplest explanation to me why it was the wrong choice. Aaron Rodgers is going to be the league MVP this season. The offense is the strength of that team and their own coach said that Rodgers is the leader of the team. So in absolute crunch time you put your season in the hands of your defense instead of the offense. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Edited by Finn5033
  • Like 2