[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Bell situation seems sad on so many levels

SNOWBOUND33

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Guy just lost the juice on that year off, never was really the same 

I'm  not sure if we ever really know. I mean he did go to one of the most dysfunctional organizations in professional sports. His running style is about patience and footwork, with a nice burst when the hole opens up. The only one I've seen play similar to that was Priest Holmes. This style flourishes with a good offensive line and blocking scheme. Either way, it's hard to do any of those things when there's no hole or someone's always in the backfield.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I'm  not sure if we ever really know. I mean he did go to one of the most dysfunctional organizations in professional sports. His running style is about patience and footwork, with a nice burst when the hole opens up. The only one I've seen play similar to that was Priest Holmes. This style flourishes with a good offensive line and blocking scheme. Either way, it's hard to do any of those things when there's no hole or someone's always in the backfield.

Yeah for sure I think part of it is the awful OL, lackluster offense in NY combined with a running style that meshes badly with that.  But nevertheless I think there's a half step missing.  He hasn't beaten out Helaire, let alone Darrell Williams 

48 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Perhaps sitting out a year didn't help? He's been terrible since the day he's come back. Sometimes you lose that edge when you walk away. I think everyone is overthinking it. 

17 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Perhaps sitting out a year didn't help? He's been terrible since the day he's come back. Sometimes you lose that edge when you walk away. I think everyone is overthinking it. 

I never said he didn't lose an edge, I said we don't know and we will never truly know. He was still in his prime years when he signed with the Jets, so I believe a lot had of it had to do with that awful organization. Either way, he chose to sign with them, so no sympathy there.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 8:08 AM, purplemonster said:

Guy just lost the juice on that year off, never was really the same 

Somebody on another forum where we were discussing DeShaun Watson's situation said (when I asked what is Watson's end game) that he will hold out like Bell. Now apparently he didn't mean the situation is anything like Bell's (good because it isn't since Watson has a long term contract and Steelers were using franchise tag on Bell) but still thinks that holding out is the solution for Watson if they cannot find a trade offer, which of course Watson will have to agree to since he has the no trade clause. (Which alone makes his situation more difficult to deal with than Stafford, who had no say but did get the Lions to avoid the Pats after telling them he didn't want to get traded there.)

I think this situation could get ugly, especially after reading statements from Texans brash that they have no interest in trading him. 

On 1/30/2021 at 8:25 AM, Shaft said:

And Priest was a god.  Helped me win a $15k championship.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, Shaft said:

On 1/30/2021 at 10:01 AM, purplemonster said:

Yeah for sure I think part of it is the awful OL, lackluster offense in NY combined with a running style that meshes badly with that.  But nevertheless I think there's a half step missing.  He hasn't beaten out Helaire, let alone Darrell Williams 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:21 AM, League_Champion said:

you are all correct.  Bell lost a step for sure after the long holdout.  That is evidenced by failing in NY and KC.  As for his year with the Jets: Maccagnan signs him to a silly contract despite Gase telling ownership that he didn't want Bell.  Gase's offensive scheme combined with the putrid Jets OL were terrible mismatches for Bell's unique running style (kudos to the Holmes analogy, only Holmes was faster, stronger and more powerful ala Tomlinson).  I couldn't have painted a more terrible blue print for a running game if I tried.

• 2 years later...