[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jimmy Garoppolo is staying with the 49ers in 2021

League_Champion

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 9:02 AM, Docniner said:

Yes drive up his value and get rid of him. I don't think he's a bad QB but he is NOR a great one and.I.still say he will not win us a superbowl. We have enough talent on both sides of the ball to win a SB. We just.don't have the right QB.

JG typically wins when he plays.  he was not the issue in 2020.  I have been following football for 45 years and have never seen a team hit with so many injuries. no qb could have had a winning season this year with the rotation of missing players. I would prefer that they not trade away assets and let a healthy team do its thing. They still have a young team and a lot of draft picks (maybe trade a few to better their position).  

In 19 the team had a heavy dose of injuries and he helped get them to a SB ... and was 6 minutes away from winning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

JG typically wins when he plays.  he was not the issue in 2020.  I have been following football for 45 years and have never seen a team hit with so many injuries. no qb could have had a winning season this year with the rotation of missing players. I would prefer that they not trade away assets and let a healthy team do its thing. They still have a young team and a lot of draft picks (maybe trade a few to better their position).  

In 19 the team had a heavy dose of injuries and he helped get them to a SB ... and was 6 minutes away from winning.

Yes, we have had a ton of injuries over the last couple of years so I'll give JG the benefit of the doubt and yes he has won games but I still feel he needs a little more umph to his game if he's gonna win a SB.  It would be nice to have Watson but the price will be too high and we don't need that.                                                                  So, that being said I think they could use their 12th pick and whatever else to move up and get one of the 4 QB's that are being highly touted so far. Well 3 cause T. Lawrence goes #1. There's Wilson, Lance and Fields that could be possible. Yet 9ers have been known to move down in the draft on occasion. I'll support JG for now but it would be nice to grab one of the good rookies this year 'cause it looks like the QB position coming out of college is gonna be pretty thin for a few years.

One mock has QB Tey Lance falling to us.at #12. I HOPE they'd jump all over that pick if he's there for us because it looks like the college QB's will be a little lean for the next couple of years so if the get the chance to get a player like Trey Lance they better jump on ot. No problem having him sit a year behind Jimmy G. plus he'd be a good insurance policy for Garoppolo should he.get injured. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watching NFL Live and Field Yates said it would only cost the 49ers  $2.1 million in dead cap space were the team to cut Jimmy G or trade him.  NFL Live analyst 's said he is for sure a good QB but lacks some in critical moments. Yeah he was awesome against the Saints a couple of years ago but I DO believe he lacks the killer instinct to win a superbowl. I think Lynch & Shanahan would definitely move him should the opportunity present itself.                           Now after Lynch's recent comments I could see the 49ers making a serious effort into trading for DeShaun Watson and I believe Watson would agree to go to the 49ers. It'll get interesting and intense the next few weeks in, the Watson saga. I don't think it's out of the question that the Niners try to move up and work something out with Miami , Atlanta, the Jets or even the Eagles to draft one of the top rookie QB's. Don't really see the Jags moving out of the top spot to take Lawrence. The college QB situation could be a little lean the next couple of years so if teams are wanting to get a possible franchise QB.they better do it this year.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I am very happy about this trade.... grab a top prospect and groom, see if jimmy can stay healthy/regain high performance, not giving up defensive assets. 

I'm shocked you're happy. They gave up a ton for what, Justin Fields? They'll have a young QB and no 1st round picks till 2024. That's not good. 

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I'm shocked you're happy. They gave up a ton for what, Justin Fields? They'll have a young QB and no 1st round picks till 2024. That's not good. 

those may turn into later picks depending upon team performance.... rookies are a gamble, and the 49ers have a lot of young talent that performs well when healthy.  I love it

Well, Lynch & Shanahan were at Mac Jones' pro day and seems that some mock draft guys have the 49ers taking Jones at 3. I'm not so sure that's the right pick. They're saying Jones has exceptional football IQ and intelligence, that he's a.cerebral QB. I remember another QB with those attributes the the 49ers drafted #1, Alex Smith. Look where that got us. We could have had.Aaron Rodgers with that pick but noooo. Smith had football IQ and Rodgers had the IT factor. Seems to me that Jones would be somewhat like Garoppolo, maybe better and not feeling him as our future.franchise QB. Moving up to 3 you've got to take a QB that's a difference.maker and not someone like what you already have. Someone who can go put the game on his shoulders, go make plays off schedule and win games decisively. Not sure Jones is that guy. I'd rather they gamble and swing for the fences with either Fields or Lance. I think I like Lance a little more but wouldn't be upset with Fields. So I'll it up to the 9ers braintrust to go get the right QB. I just.hope it's not Jones

Edited by Docniner

19 minutes ago, Docniner said:

Not sure Jones is that guy. I'd rather they gamble and swing for the fences with either Fields or Lance. I think I like Lance a little more but wouldn't be upset with Fields. So I'll it up to the 9ers braintrust to go get the right QB. I just.hope it's not Jones

Jones would be a huge mistake, especially at 3. His numbers were so inflated at Alabama it's not even fair. He was throwing to NFL Wrs, had an NFL offensive line, NFL running backs, etc. He hardly ever felt pressure or got touched. He's a 4th round project on a good day. I don't love him but to me Fields is the easy pick at 3. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Jones would be a huge mistake, especially at 3. His numbers were so inflated at Alabama it's not even fair. He was throwing to NFL Wrs, had an NFL offensive line, NFL running backs, etc. He hardly ever felt pressure or got touched. He's a 4th round project on a good day. I don't love him but to me Fields is the easy pick at 3. 

I just don't want another QB that's similar to the one we have now. Today's NFL quarterbacks have the mobility to make plays when protection breaks down. Jones may be able to scramble some but I still think he's gonna struggle against defenses. If Shanahan wants to get back to a superbowl he better take either Lance or Fields. I think Lance has better upside but happy with either. Jones will no doubt go 1sr round but I just don't want him as our franchise QB. We'll see come draft day if Lynch and company make.the right decision.

Edited by Docniner

13 minutes ago, Docniner said:

I just don't want another QB that's similar to the one we have now. Today's NFL quarterbacks have the mobility to make plays when protection breaks down. Jones may be able to scramble some but I still think he's gonna struggle against defenses. If Shanahan wants to get back to a superbowl he better take either Lance or Fields. I think Lance has better upside but happy with either. Jones will no doubt go 1sr round but I just don't want him as our franchise QB. We'll see come draft day if Lynch and company make.the right decision.

I agree. Both Jones and Lance are projects. That's why I'm starting to think it will be Fields. But Lynch is locked into 3 so there's no reason to bluff anyone. I don't understand the Jones love. There must be something there. 

5 hours ago, Docniner said:

Well, Lynch & Shanahan were at Mac Jones' pro day and seems that some mock draft guys have the 49ers taking Jones at 3. I'm not so sure that's the right pick. They're saying Jones has exceptional football IQ and intelligence, that he's a.cerebral QB. I remember another QB with those attributes the the 49ers drafted #1, Alex Smith. Look where that got us. We could have had.Aaron Rodgers with that pick but noooo. Smith had football IQ and Rodgers had the IT factor. Seems to me that Jones would be somewhat like Garoppolo, maybe better and not feeling him as our future.franchise QB. Moving up to 3 you've got to take a QB that's a difference.maker and not someone like what you already have. Someone who can go put the game on his shoulders, go make plays off schedule and win games decisively. Not sure Jones is that guy. I'd rather they gamble and swing for the fences with either Fields or Lance. I think I like Lance a little more but wouldn't be upset with Fields. So I'll it up to the 9ers braintrust to go get the right QB. I just.hope it's not Jones

It's almost as if you have forgotten how bad that 49ers team was when they drafted Smith, and how they went through, what, 8 OCs before they hired harbaugh.... and that the pack had a good team with a starting HOF QB to wait and learn the system.  While Rodgers certainly has more talent their legacies could have been very different had they been on the other teams.  You also want to discard JG's 1 full season as a starter where, despite injuries, still posted respectable numbers and were minutes from a sb win. I do not recall a team being so devastated on both sides of the ball as the 49ers last year.  JG was never fully healthy, plus the oline was suffering...which showed gave all sf qbs problems.  

I am all for drafting and developing a rookie, and/or getting a more solid backup, but a healthier team will look much better.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It's almost as if you have forgotten how bad that 49ers team was when they drafted Smith, and how they went through, what, 8 OCs before they hired harbaugh.... and that the pack had a good team with a starting HOF QB to wait and learn the system.  While Rodgers certainly has more talent their legacies could have been very different had they been on the other teams.  You also want to discard JG's 1 full season as a starter where, despite injuries, still posted respectable numbers and were minutes from a sb win. I do not recall a team being so devastated on both sides of the ball as the 49ers last year.  JG was never fully healthy, plus the oline was suffering...which showed gave all sf qbs problems.  

I am all for drafting and developing a rookie, and/or getting a more solid backup, but a healthier team will look much better.

I agree, the bad part is that they are in prime position, in what is believed to be, a solid QB draft. I'm not sure Jimmy G can win them a SB and if he doesn't, they more than likely won't have as high a pick, especially, with a healthier team next year, and therefore, will miss the opportunity to draft and develop Fields or Lance. I don't think they take Jones but we'll see...

12 minutes ago, irish said:

I agree, the bad part is that they are in prime position, in what is believed to be, a solid QB draft. I'm not sure Jimmy G can win them a SB and if he doesn't, they more than likely won't have as high a pick, especially, with a healthier team next year, and therefore, will miss the opportunity to draft and develop Fields or Lance. I don't think they take Jones but we'll see...

There advantages and disadvantages for each of the “top 3” qbs this year.  I am happy with all of them. 

I don’t think you can pin the sub loss on jg. There was plenty of blame to go around. If he and the team are healthy, I see no reason why they are not able to compete for a championship 

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

There advantages and disadvantages for each of the “top 3” qbs this year.  I am happy with all of them. 

I don’t think you can pin the sub loss on jg. There was plenty of blame to go around. If he and the team are healthy, I see no reason why they are not able to compete for a championship 

I can absolutely see them competing for a championship, hell, they were minutes away from winning a SB as it was. We'll see what happens...

6 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Apparently San Francisco is open to trading Jimmy G for a first round draft pick.

Chuckle.

That's not even SNL funny. They must have said that to boost Jimmy G's ego, saying we "value you that much."