[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nothing to see here

rajncajn

Super Bowl 2021: Buccaneers' Devin White says he and Lavonte David have $1,000 in-game contests - CBSSports.com

"He talked about how quiet and reserved David is, but then White opened up about how much David mentors him, and how White returns the favor with young energy — and cash incentives for performance.

“He done taught me a lot, still teaching me a lot. And I’m teaching him something, too,” White said of David.

“You know, especially like it’s always that mentality like, ‘Beat me to the ball. Get more tackles than me. Let’s see who can come up with the biggest play first. You know, whoever come up with the biggest play that person gotta pay the other person $1,000’. Just little stuff that I’m able to throw into our game to make it more interesting, as well.

“But man, from the classroom to off the field taking care of yourself, taking care of your body, making sure you’re available for every game, he done taught me a lot and I can’t thank him enough.”

You can give 15k tax free to anyone you want per year and not incur taxes and it doesn't need to be reported. Now whether you want to call this "gambling" I don't know, you are playing a game of skill.  It would be best to not publicize it likely but i doubt the IRS is really excited to get in the middle of this one.  One would hope they'd have better things to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Are you seriously going to argue that two guys making a bet with each other who can come up with big plays is the same as a coach/coaches giving rewards for injuring players?

I knew that’s where he was going with this, but had decided to not comment. 

Rajn, please tell me you don’t think it’s comparable to bountygate

4 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Are you seriously going to argue that two guys making a bet with each other who can come up with big plays is the same as a coach/coaches giving rewards for injuring players?

Coaches were not giving rewards for injuring players. There was never any evidence to support that and is exactly why Paul Tagliabue vacated all player suspensions and chastised Goodell's handling of the situation.  What the Saints had was a pool for big plays,  just as referenced by White. That pool,  which legers showed and actual game results supported,  did not include payouts for injuries. However,  it did include financial penalties to be paid into the pool by players for illegal hits and penalties flagged.

Edited by rajncajn

LOL I admire you always sticking up for your team,  some teams fans are happier whining about their teams. You're correct that Tags rebuked how Goodell handled the situration, he did not absolve the players. And how can you claim the coaches had nothing to with it when your coach was suspended for a year?

Tagliabue, appointed by commissioner Roger Goodell to handle the appeals, still found that three of the players engaged in conduct detrimental to the league. He said they participated in a performance pool that rewarded key plays -- including bone-jarring hits -- that could merit fines. But he stressed the team's coaches were very much involved.

The entire case, he said, "has been contaminated by the coaches and others in the Saints' organization."

The team's "coaches and managers led a deliberate, unprecedented and effective effort to obstruct the NFL's investigation," the ruling said.

Tagliabue oversaw a second round of player appeals to the league in connection with the cash-for-hits program run by former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams from 2009 to 2011. The players initially opposed his appointment.

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma had been given a full-season suspension, while defensive end Will Smith, Cleveland linebacker Scott Fujita and free-agent defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove each received shorter suspensions.

Tagliabue cleared Fujita of conduct detrimental to the league.

"I affirm Commissioner Goodell's factual findings as to the four players. I conclude that Hargrove, Smith and Vilma -- but not Fujita -- engaged in 'conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public confidence in, the game of professional football,' " the ruling said.

Edited by BillyBalata

24 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

LOL I admire you always sticking up for your team,  some teams fans are happier whining about their teams. You're correct that Tags rebuked how Goodell handled the situration, he did not absolve the players. And how can you claim the coaches had nothing to with it when your coach was suspended for a year?

Tagliabue vacated all of the players' suspensions for a reason. He cleared Fujita of conduct detrimental because he was found not to have participated in the pool even though the NFL claimed he did. Vilma, Smith & Hargrove were found to have participated, so he upheld the "conduct detrimental" ruling, but vacated the fines & suspensions because the league had no evidence of a "bounty" program.

I never said that the coaches were not involved, just that they weren't paying to injure players. Gregg Williams, along with some other coaches supposedly managed the whole pool, but there was never any evidence, aside from a napkin scribbled on by a previously fired employees, with the words "cart-off" & "knock-out" written on them, that players were paid for trying to injure other players. Both game footage as well as statistical results for the three years the Saints were supposedly running a bounty scheme prove that they were among the least (bottom 3 I think it was) penalized and fined for unsportsmanlike conduct & personal fouls. In addition, as I stated before, the pool actually fined players for illegal hits & penalties rather than reward them.

Tagliabue, appointed by commissioner Roger Goodell to handle the appeals, still found that three of the players engaged in conduct detrimental to the league. He said they participated in a performance pool that rewarded key plays -- including bone-jarring hits -- that could merit fines. But he stressed the team's coaches were very much involved.

The entire case, he said, "has been contaminated by the coaches and others in the Saints' organization."

The team's "coaches and managers led a deliberate, unprecedented and effective effort to obstruct the NFL's investigation," the ruling said.

Tagliabue oversaw a second round of player appeals to the league in connection with the cash-for-hits program run by former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams from 2009 to 2011. The players initially opposed his appointment.

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma had been given a full-season suspension, while defensive end Will Smith, Cleveland linebacker Scott Fujita and free-agent defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove each received shorter suspensions.

Tagliabue cleared Fujita of conduct detrimental to the league.

"I affirm Commissioner Goodell's factual findings as to the four players. I conclude that Hargrove, Smith and Vilma -- but not Fujita -- engaged in 'conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public confidence in, the game of professional football,' " the ruling said.

Yes, Payton was uncooperative & yes, they tried to blow it off because they weren't doing anything other than what was being done in just about every other NFL locker room &, as evidenced by Devin White's comments as well as many more that I've posted here before, continues to go on in the NFL without so much as a question. And every single time something like this comes up it's like rubbing our noses in it all over again. You quoted how the case was contaminated by the players 7 coaches, but don't mention how the case was contaminated by the very people conducting the the investigation. Time an again releasing or leaking completely false information such as Vilma standing on a table waiving cash or players getting injured in games that never happened. I still believe they cost Hargrove his career was because of the supposed recording of him saying to pay him his money after a big hit on Warner when it was proven that it wasn't him at all that said it.  As for the penalties & fines levied against the team & coaches, the team and coaches didn't have the benefit of a union to back them up. They had no choice but to accept the penalty. The players were given the benefit of being able to demand an impartial arbitrator and of course they didn't want Tagliabue at first. If you were in their situation would you think that the former commissioner who gave Goodell his job would be independent?

Here's the Tagliabue appeal, it doesn't take long to read.  One note, is that Tagliabue had a falling out of sorts with Goodell after this because he vacated the player suspensions, placing most of the blame on the coaches.  So he doesn't sound like he was in the bag for Goodell either. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/paul-tagliabue-s-full-decision-on-saints-bounty-appeal-0ap1000000109668

Here's an audiotape of Gregg Williams' saying make sure you keep hitting Frank Gore in the head as many times as you can, and make sure you get some shots in on the pile. Williams made a bet for 5K to injure Favre and it sure looked like they were trying to earn it. This isn't the first time there was a bounty program and it won't be the last, blame the coaches if you want, the owner wasn't going along with it. 

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints-bountygate/

Edited by purplemonster

8 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Here's the Tagliabue appeal, it doesn't take long to read.  One note, is that Tagliabue had a falling out of sorts with Goodell after this because he vacated the player suspensions, placing most of the blame on the coaches.  So he doesn't sound like he was in the bag for Goodell either. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/paul-tagliabue-s-full-decision-on-saints-bounty-appeal-0ap1000000109668

Here's an audiotape of Gregg Williams' saying make sure you keep hitting Frank Gore in the head as many times as you can, and make sure you get some shots in on the pile. Williams made a bet for 5K to injure Favre and it sure looked like they were trying to earn it. This isn't the first time there was a bounty program and it won't be the last, blame the coaches if you want, the owner wasn't going along with it. 

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints-bountygate/

You're not going to get any argument from me about Gregg Williams, though he never put a bounty out on Favre. The guy absolutely should have been run out of the league, but since he cow-towed to Goodell he actually got a lesser suspension than Payton who really knew next to nothing about the whole thing until after the NFL started the inquiry. The whole $5,000 bounty on Favre & pretty much the entire article in your second link was all bullmanure. If you notice, the articles your story cites were written prior to Tag's review of the evidence. The NFL pumped out a ton accusations through "sources" or press releases and in the end, nearly all of it was either proven false or no proof was ever found to support it. The NFL even had a ledger of payouts that the Saints provided and none of it included injuring other players. What they paid out for were impact plays, such as INTs, fumbles, sacks, TFLs & big hits. It also fined players for illegal hits, missed tackles & penalties. As I said before, the ONLY evidence that was ever provided of a BOUNTY program where players were enticed to injure other players for a cash payout was a bar napkin that had the words "knock-out" & "cart-off" with $ amounts assigned to them. Your article didn't even get the part right about where the whole thing started either. It started with Mike Cerullo, who had been fired from the Saints organization, providing the napkin as evidence. The large majority of the NFL's evidence against the Saints was completely based on Cerullo's testimony and driven by the ongoing CTE lawsuit against the NFL.

Here's more about Cerullo's role:

Vilma suit outs Mike Cerullo as bounty whistleblower - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

On 2/2/2021 at 3:47 PM, purplemonster said:

You can give 15k tax free to anyone you want per year and not incur taxes and it doesn't need to be reported. Now whether you want to call this "gambling" I don't know, you are playing a game of skill.  It would be best to not publicize it likely but i doubt the IRS is really excited to get in the middle of this one.  One would hope they'd have better things to do. 

I've seen Shawshank Redemption a million times. It's $14k and $14k per each child. :crazy:

Edited by tazinib1