[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Britt Reid Involved in Serious Car Crash

League_Champion

What a mess!  So gotta wonder what's going on in the Reid household as his older son was jailed for heroin and eventually died of an overdose on it and now the younger continues to have issues. 

4 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Absentee father can cause problems

That was exactly my thinking. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's exactly what it was. 

Really?

No personal responsibility for your actions?  No awareness of your addictions.  The most available drug, is the only one that can cause death by stopping cold Turkey.  Honestly, he is a grown man, who has been problem free (at least, no media reporting) for almost 15 years, and likely fell off the wagon (like so many others) with too much time on their hands during covid.  One of the largest growing groups of alcoholics is retirees.   Without outside interests the 1st drink is no longer after work, it starts a 4, then 3, ..

He needs help, blaming others isn't going to solve this or help him.  It's all on him.  

I wish him good luck, and hope he has some support, he will need it.  I'd be surprised if he only looses his job.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

He needs help, blaming others isn't going to solve this or help him.  It's all on him.  

I wish him good luck, and hope he has some support, he will need it.  I'd be surprised if he only looses his 

I agree, both of his kids were/are no good for nothing junkies. You won't see me crying a tear for him. 

• Thanks 1

It says Britt Reid had been employed for many years as an assistant coach. I mean Andy can't come sit on his lap 24 hours a day either. The guy is almost 40. Now whether it would been better for Andy to coach less or take a LOA when the kids were younger may be a very fair statement but I'm also maybe an unfair statement. As it was happening at the time with his son my vague recollection was "maybe you need to spend some time with your family" so I see that side, but I wasnt there, and family matters are really complicated and you are only getting 1/2 the story at best. 

Edited by purplemonster

4 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

It says Britt Reid had been employed for many years as an assistant coach. I mean Andy can't come sit on his lap 24 hours a day either. The guy is almost 40. Now whether it would been better for Andy to coach less or take a LOA when the kids were younger may be a very fair statement but I'm also maybe an unfair statement. As it was happening at the time with his son my vague recollection was "maybe you need to spend some time with your family" so I see that side, but I wasnt there, and family matters are really complicated and you are only getting 1/2 the story at best. 

True and people do have to be accountable for their own behaviors and actions. However, I think what I, along with others are getting at, is that as an absentee father, the critical years of development for those boys occurred without a truly present dad to help shape and mold them.  We all know that the psychological and long lasting impacts are created by the experiences children have in their first 5 years of life.  Many say that we become who we are going to be in that time and that changes beyond that require effort and therapy (the accountability part for one's life).  So, IMO, everyone involved in that situation is accountable for what we have seen and continue to see transpire with Garrett and Britt. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I've given this more thought...

Guys like Andy Reid are actually worse that an absentee parent. When the parent "stays" but makes a choice that tells the kids that something in life is more important than them, it (the really bad word)s with their heads.

Reid told his sons, by his actions... I love football more than you. Can you imagine?

I could be wrong about Reid,but I'm talking about society in general. Not being there at all might be better than being there and "telling" the kids first hand, "i don't love you"

So are athletes, politicians, oil workers and military personnel abroad all bad parents too?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He almost killed a 5 year old. He's a piece of shizz. 

Well, I'm sure that wasn't his intention, so that's very different. Sure it happened and that's awful but I'm much more pissed about child predators, child abusers who kill their kids by suffocating them or throwing them in a dumpster and/or rapists. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I've given this more thought...

Guys like Andy Reid are actually worse that an absentee parent. When the parent "stays" but makes a choice that tells the kids that something in life is more important than them, it (the really bad word)s with their heads.

Reid told his sons, by his actions... I love football more than you. Can you imagine?

I could be wrong about Reid,but I'm talking about society in general. Not being there at all might be better than being there and "telling" the kids first hand, "i don't love you"

The stars have aligned, I agree 100% with Opie here!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I agree, both of his kids were/are no good for nothing junkies. You won't see me crying a tear for him. 

I understand your reaction.  But try to realize the world they live in.  So much different that most of ours.  NO EXCUSUSES.   But I guess I feel horrible for all since I have a lot of experience with this type of situation.. Everyone needs to be responsible for them selves, but it can be so much tougher on for some.

Just now, SNOWBOUND33 said:

I understand your reaction.  But try to realize the world they live in.  So much different that most of ours.  NO EXCUSUSES.   But I guess I feel horrible for all since I have a lot of experience with this type of situation.. Everyone needs to be responsible for them selves, but it can be so much tougher on for some.

Agree, but knowing this kids history, he's a creep. I feel sorry for that little girl, not a kid who's had every opportunity to get the help he needs and hasn't. I'm sorry but that's where my sympathy lies. 

Just now, League_Champion said:

Agree, but knowing this kids history, he's a creep. I feel sorry for that little girl, not a kid who's had every opportunity to get the help he needs and hasn't. I'm sorry but that's where my sympathy lies. 

Understood.  I don't know the family or details.  Sounds f'd up.   I don't listen to Dungy because he's full of sht for the same reasons it sounds like.

Addiction is a bitch though, you can do everything right and the kid still screws up. I was talking to a family the other day who have been dealing with a 31 year old addict kid and they have done anything to try to help and he is just in huge denial and won't listen, despite 10 hospital admissions in a year. You can't forcibly keep people very easily unless a court mandates it, and they are generally reluctant to do so. Sometimes it takes a tragedy like this before authorities really step in.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

My heart is crushed for this little girl and her family. I really hope she doesn't die and that she makes a full recovery. I just see my little girl's face and can't imagine having her suffer like this and having to watch it helplessly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irish said:

My heart is crushed for this little girl and her family. I really hope she doesn't die and that she makes a full recovery. I just see my little girl's face and can't imagine having her suffer like this and having to watch it helplessly. 

Same boat with my boy and girl 10 yr old twins. Makes me ill to think about. 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:37 PM, millworkguy said:

So are athletes, politicians, oil workers and military personnel abroad all bad parents too?

What about health care workers, or safety workers, they spend a lot of time away from their families and take extra risks. What about people who work jobs at odd hours and are gone when their kids are home from school? My father was a priest (Eastern Orthodox faith) and away a lot on church business. He and my mom missed some birthdays, even the HS graduation of one of my brothers. Guess they were horrible people, I'll make sure and inform my siblings....

Does anybody think this incident impacted the Chiefs in the SB? Their coaching, Andy himself, ability to make adjustments etc? 

This is good news. 

Ariel Young, the 5-year-old girl who was critically injured from an accident involving ex-Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid, has awoken from her coma -- 11 days after the accident

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/5-year-old-girl-injured-in-crash-involving-ex-chiefs-assistant-britt-reid-emerges-from-coma/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1