[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teams asking about Russell Wilson

Wolverines Fan

2 hours ago, heehawks said:

Where there is smoke there is fire...I am actually starting to get a bit worried. 

It would take some creative trading for Russell to go somewhere.  But, the trade path gets more practicable after this year.  This very well could be the beginning of the end. 

4 hours ago, darin3 said:

Not that it moves the needle much, but two things: one, you forgot Goff (as part of the Stafford move), and Mariota's contract is going to prove to be too cumbersome for him to move, I'm guessing.

But yeah, it's going to be a busy off-season for QB movement and then once the draft happens, there are a handful of legit, day-one starters in this draft class.

Didn't mention Goff cause he wasn't rumored available (that I'm aware of) or supposedly dangled in those talks, he was just part of the Stafford deal (and possibly being benched for an UDFA anyways, ugh).  Personally don't think Mariota's contract is a problem at all.  Even if it reaches all incentives (2-3 mil worth is doubtful to achieve) it's still reasonable and with it being the final year I'm sure it could be easily restructured as part of an extension to compensate if a team desired to. 

Regardless point was I don't think it'll be a busy off season for the position as the rumor mill would like.  Wilson is not getting moved despite the talking heads speculation specially when that would weaken the market for themselves with Watson already out there.  Though I hate to say it, Watson is the better target due to his age and if he's dealt I expect the couple of teams that remain with the possible capital to deal will balk once they see the price tag.   

As always, just my :2cents:

Edited by Def.

22 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

It would take some creative trading for Russell to go somewhere.  But, the trade path gets more practicable after this year.  This very well could be the beginning of the end. 

This just astounds me. If this was Peyton Manning at the end of his career - ok.

But this is Russell Wilson - a potential HOF'er in his prime. How the heck do you trade that guy? If anything, Pete Carroll needs to be shown the door and bring in a coach that can maximize his skills.

The Seahawks have done Wilson a disservice surrounding him with that turd O-line for all these years. This is seriously shades of the Packers and McCarthy basically wasting Aaron Rodgers career.

Sure, they each have a Super Bowl ring, but it should have been so much more on both sides. Awful.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, Def. said:

Didn't mention Goff cause he wasn't rumored available (that I'm aware of) or supposedly dangled in those talks, he was just part of the Stafford deal (and possibly being benched for an UDFA anyways, ugh).  Personally don't think Mariota's contract is a problem at all.  Even if it reaches all incentives (2-3 mil worth is doubtful to achieve) it's still reasonable and with it being the final year I'm sure it could be easily restructured as part of an extension to compensate if a team desired to. 

Regardless point was I don't think it'll be a busy off season for the position as the rumor mill would like.  Wilson is not getting moved despite the talking heads speculation specially when that would weaken the market for themselves with Watson already out there.  Though I hate to say it, Watson is the better target due to his age and if he's dealt I expect the couple of teams that remain with the possible capital to deal will balk once they see the price tag.   

As always, just my :2cents:

Yes it seemed Darin misread you post, I kind of got the "there won't be as much movement as people are predicting", especially the bigger names like Watson, Rodgers, Wilson.  Some local DJ on the classic rock station I listen to here likes to talk sports, and he was suggesting last week that the Browns offer Mayfield and some stuff to Houston to get Watson, because he could come here and help us win a SB. No doubt he's an upgrade over Mayfield, but the team is also built to run the ball right now, we don't need an elite QB to get over the hump, so I'm thinking anything else we give up creates a deficiency that hurts our chances. 

On 2/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, Chief Dick said:

This just astounds me. If this was Peyton Manning at the end of his career - ok.

But this is Russell Wilson - a potential HOF'er in his prime. How the heck do you trade that guy? If anything, Pete Carroll needs to be shown the door and bring in a coach that can maximize his skills.

The Seahawks have done Wilson a disservice surrounding him with that turd O-line for all these years. This is seriously shades of the Packers and McCarthy basically wasting Aaron Rodgers career.

Sure, they each have a Super Bowl ring, but it should have been so much more on both sides. Awful.

There is blame to spread around IMHO.  Seattle brass hasn't complete ignored O-line, trading away draft capital for LT Duane Brown and signing him to a long term deal is one example.  PFF had them ranked 16th in pass blocking last year, that isn't horrible.   Wilson is also always amongst league leaders in holding onto the ball after the snap.  They played high flying ball beginning of last year and when teams adjusted, Wilson played like dog poo. Even when they tampered the passing down - they still passed a lot relative to the league average.  Bad play schemes for sure, but Wilson isn't void of responsibility. 

Wilson complaining through the press is a sure sign he feels his opinion wasn't being appreciated.  That's on the coaching staff for sure, but RW also threw some teammates under the bus going public.  He's not being completely ignored...the new O-coordinator was apparently a collaborative hire.  Last year RW wanted "stars."  They traded away 2 firsts for Jamal Adams...no he wants more O-line help.  Well, his salary is a big reason resources are limited.  He wants to be treated like Brady, I believe Brady re-structured his contract multiple times with NE.  

In a perfect world, this all gets straightened out.

14 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

There is blame to spread around IMHO.  Seattle brass hasn't complete ignored O-line, trading away draft capital for LT Duane Brown and signing him to a long term deal is one example.  PFF had them ranked 16th in pass blocking last year, that isn't horrible.   Wilson is also always amongst league leaders in holding onto the ball after the snap.  They played high flying ball beginning of last year and when teams adjusted, Wilson played like dog poo. Even when they tampered the passing down - they still passed a lot relative to the league average.  Bad play schemes for sure, but Wilson isn't void of responsibility. 

Wilson complaining through the press is a sure sign he feels his opinion wasn't being appreciated.  That's on the coaching staff for sure, but RW also threw some teammates under the bus going public.  He's not being completely ignored...the new O-coordinator was apparently a collaborative hire.  Last year RW wanted "stars."  They traded away 2 firsts for Jamal Adams...no he wants more O-line help.  Well, his salary is a big reason resources are limited.  He wants to be treated like Brady, I believe Brady re-structured his contract multiple times with NE.  

So what's the fan bases opinion of Wilson? From the outside looking in, I've always enjoyed his play.

But when he talks, I feel like he says what he thinks the rest of the world wants to hear. I know he's a good community guy and all, but wondering if his heart is in it or if he wants his "image" to look good. If that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

So what's the fan bases opinion of Wilson? From the outside looking in, I've always enjoyed his play.

But when he talks, I feel like he says what he thinks the rest of the world wants to hear. I know he's a good community guy and all, but wondering if his heart is in it or if he wants his "image" to look good. If that makes sense.

Wilson is largely adored by the local fan base.  Wilson is special enough where, if push came to shove, I think most people would rather see Pete go.  His public campaign was largely out of character and a surprise, so most people were taken aback.  Yes, he's as corny as hell and public image cognizant, but I don't think anyone around him has questioned his motivation to win.  Pretty sure that is where this is coming from.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I'm curious in what way do you feel he wants to be treated like Brady? 

As for restructuring contracts, has Wilson refused to do that when asked/needed in the past? I haven't followed those details closely, but I was looking at his contract on Spotrac, and they have transaction info along the right side of screen showing he restructured in October 2017 "Converted $6.26M of his 2017 salary into bonus, clearing $4.17M in cap space with Seattle (SEA)"   Then he signed this massive extension in April 2019. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/russell-wilson-9885/

I hope it gets straightened out, I traded a good draft pick to acquire him last year and was hoping he'd be my franchise QB for at least another 5 years. 

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'm curious in what way do you feel he wants to be treated like Brady? 

Apparently Brady had more say in personnel decisions, in New England and for sure in TB, than RW.  Wilson was lobbying for Antonio Brown like Brady was, for instance....

• Like 1

I just saw a couple news items on Wilson on The Huddle home page, one talks about a meeting he walked out of before a TNF game with the Cardinals because his ideas for the offense were being ignored. The other talks about how he and Sean Payton hit it off at the Pro Bowl a few years ago, and reminded me that the Saints are one of the destinations he'd agree to.  Oh man that would be awesome for his value, he's be a good fit in that offense. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

why does it seem like the HC wants to move on from his franchise QB?

The New York Daily News' Pat Leonard reports Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll has a "high opinion" of Sam Darnold and could be interested in acquiring the QB should Seattle part ways with Russell Wilson. 

“Keep an eye on Seattle for Darnold,” a source told Leonard. The chances of Wilson leaving Seattle this offseason remain low, but Leonard reports Darnold could be a fallback option for the Seahawks if they lose their franchise player. The Jets have reportedly fielded calls for Darnold -- just 23 years old -- while holding the second pick in this year's NFL Draft. Leonard mentioned the Texans as another potential landing spot for Darnold should the team deal away Deshaun Watson. 

Because that is the story the reporter wants to tell. 

55 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Isn't it odd that Seattle isn't coming out saying he's our guy? And that Wilson isn't saying that he wants to be a Seahawk? Seattle is making a huge mistake IMO. 

The Hawks shouldn't have to come out and say anything at all. Russ started the whole thing, he should be the one to say something. The onus is on him, not the Hawks.

11 minutes ago, heehawks said:

The Hawks shouldn't have to come out and say anything at all. Russ started the whole thing, he should be the one to say something. The onus is on him, not the Hawks.

Like it or not Russ is that franchise,. plain and simple. They need to kiss his ass up, down, left, right and sideways. Otherwise say hello to 5 wins. 

40 minutes ago, heehawks said:

This.  They haven't said anything because there haven't been any press conferences since Wilson made it a thing.  They'll likely give a status quo answer in time, but no need to react and play the explain themselves through the media game.  Dollars to doughnuts Seattle has had multiple private conversations with Russ.

There was a report that Wilson was going to restructure his contract for cap purposes on the weekend.  So good luck figuring any of this out.

As far as Darnold, Carroll pretty much expresses a 'high opinion' of every NFL player.  If Darnold is traded for Wilson, it's coming with a substantial value of other picks and/or players.

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 2

I thought Washington (DC, not state) was going to be a dark horse candidate for Wilson, considering how good that team is defensively, with underrated pieces on offense too.  But now that Fitzbeard has signed there I guess that's not happening.

15 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

this is the opinion of fans whose team does not have a franchise QB. If he came to Denver, I'd expect my Broncos to roll out the red carpet for him every single day.

I guess it's a case of "the grass is always greener..."?

They'll learn real fast in Seattle when he's gone. Spoiled brats, haha. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Like it or not Russ is that franchise,. plain and simple. They need to kiss his ass up, down, left, right and sideways. Otherwise say hello to 5 wins. 

utter nonsense as usual   Wilson started all this mess, if he going to be a diva then that's on him. What is the team supposed to say?  

51 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

utter nonsense as usual   Wilson started all this mess, if he going to be a diva then that's on him. What is the team supposed to say?  

You diffuse the situation and try to make your Star Hall of Fame Franchise Player happy at all costs. Where the hell are the Seahawks without Wilson??? Let's be honest. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

You diffuse the situation and try to make your Star Hall of Fame Franchise Player happy at all costs. Where the hell are the Seahawks without Wilson??? Let's be honest. 

They don't need to do it in public, if they fail to make Wilson happy and retain his services for the future then you can blast them as incompetent idiots. Until then you just sound like a Wilson cheerleader. But then you've already got him in the HOF, doubt that's a widely held view. But then most of your views are unique. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

C'mon Steve. He's not a Hall of Famer? Now you're just disagreeing to disagree. 

I'm saying I don't think he's a lock to get in. You apparently think otherwise. Brees and Brady are locks, Rodgers too (but I'd put him behind those two). Wilson is very good, and has done a lot for that franchise. 

Ok after reviewing info below he probably gets in. I looked at his score and it seemed well below the average (inflated by guys like Favre , Manning).  But then I'd ask, Cam Newton isn't that far behind Wilson, is he a HOFer too?  And that score is still ahead of current HOFers Aikman and Kelly. Other current era players with high scores Rivers, Ryan, Eli  and from decades ago Ken Anderson. 

Have you ever used the Pro Football Reference site and looked at their HOF monitor?  For QBs the average HOF QB is 104.18

Here is a link for Wilson  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm#all_59220409

Brady - 250.94 (Peyton Manning is #1 on list at 258)

Rodgers - 163.72

Brees - 140.5

Wilson - 74.20 25th among QB

Here's a link listing the QBs in order of that score

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm