[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

J.J. Watt’s landing spots

League_Champion

7 hours ago, stevegrab said:

PIT may not be a contender either, Ben is old and wearing down, Pouncey retired, JuJu may leave as a free agent. Sure they won the division, but they also imploded in the playoffs.

I think that's a good point. Pitt may not be as good of a spot as it seems.  JJ might find the Browns a better shot for all we know, let alone the Packers 

Sounds like betting odds are actually on the Browns right now.  I think he should, that would be a lot of fun for Cleveland. I have a notable bias in wanting him not to play for GB as well 

https://www.sportsline.com/nfl/news/browns-2021-nfl-odds-jj-watt-free-agent-signing-make-cleveland-betting-favorite-to-win-afc-north-division-ravens-would-stay-as-team-to-beat/

On 2/16/2021 at 8:57 PM, loaf said:

PIT is in cap hell...

Yep they just basically told Ben (thru media reports) "we're not using $41M of our cap space on you next year". 

The salary cap floor was announced by the NFL today, now at $180M up $5 from last year.  The 2020 cap was $198M, up 10M from the year before (7th straight increase of $10M or more).  No idea where it will be for 2021, I recall talk of a major bump due to players getting a larger portion (48% up 1% from before) of the revenue based on things in the CBA. But then I also found articles from December saying the cap would be much lower due to lost revenue related to COVID. That article actually stated it would only be $175 which is impossible given the new floor. But any way you slice it Ben's $40M number would be at close 20% of the new cap number. They can cut or trade him and save about half of that, but not sure that's a great option either. 

Man, if he goes to Cleveland, their line will be deadly.  Garrett on one end, Watt on the other?  With Vernon rotating in?  Ogunjobi wrecking the middle?  Scary.

I bet that is on Watt's mind right now.  That defense could really put the pressure on the likes of Mahomie when it counts.

11 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Man, if he goes to Cleveland, their line will be deadly.  Garrett on one end, Watt on the other?  With Vernon rotating in?  Ogunjobi wrecking the middle?  Scary.

I bet that is on Watt's mind right now.  That defense could really put the pressure on the likes of Mahomie when it counts.

Vernon is a free agent and they had to restructure his contract last year to reduce the cap hit. He cannot be tagged for 2021. He also blew out his Achilles near the end of the season and missed the playoffs, who knows what he'll look like and when he'll be ready.

Ogunjobi is also a free agent. Talk is Vernon isn't in their plans, Ogunjobi could be. But if they spend big on Watt they could not bother with either. 

Still playing on the other end from Garrett could be very appealing for JJ. I also heard a report that he "really likes Browns QB Baker Mayfield and think the Browns have built a formidable team around him. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Vernon is a free agent and they had to restructure his contract last year to reduce the cap hit. He cannot be tagged for 2021. He also blew out his Achilles near the end of the season and missed the playoffs, who knows what he'll look like and when he'll be ready.

Ogunjobi is also a free agent. Talk is Vernon isn't in their plans, Ogunjobi could be. But if they spend big on Watt they could not bother with either. 

Still playing on the other end from Garrett could be very appealing for JJ. I also heard a report that he "really likes Browns QB Baker Mayfield and think the Browns have built a formidable team around him. 

Didn't realize Vernon was a FA.  They could let him walk, but I'd bet they push to retain Ogunjobi.  He is quite underrated. 

More I read and hear, the more I can see him going to your Brownies.  If it weren't for his Wisconsin and Pittsburgh ties I'd bet he'd already be signed there.

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Maybe, but who volunteers to go to Cleveland? That's usually a punishment. Even if they were a dominant football team it's still Cleveland. 

sigh...swims up, smells bait, swims away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2021 at 9:50 AM, Chief Dick said:

If he wants to win a ring, this boils down to 5 teams:

1. Green Bay

2. Tampa Bay

3. Kansas City

4. Bills

5. Browns

I think the Chiefs would be in play for him.

I agree with that list but I think I'd drop GB to #3 and KC to #1. His chance of getting a ring is probably better with the Chiefs and Tampa. Packers need a little more than Watt to get a ring.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Big John said:

Packers released linebacker Christian Kirksey and offensive tackle Rick Wagner, saving $10M in cap space.

Ugh.  I traded for Kirksey at the end of the season hoping he'd come back and post another 100+ tackles for the Pack.  Maybe they are going to plug Barnes in that spot?

Edited by darin3

On 2/19/2021 at 5:45 PM, darin3 said:

Ugh.  I traded for Kirksey at the end of the season hoping he'd come back and post another 100+ tackles for the Pack.  Maybe they are going to plug Barnes in that spot?

Kirskey was released by the Browns about a year ago to clear cap space (7.55M) and then GB signed him to a contract that was apparently too rich for them and their cap situation. The Browns 4 year deal (2017-21) was $9.5M average, the Packers 2 year deal just $6.5M. 

The guy is a good player, but seems he has 2 recent deals that were back loaded and not worth the cap it. I would not mind seeing him to return to the Browns, we still need some help at LB. 

Hilarious, good luck reaching a SB on that team, seems like a loaded division where just making the playoffs will be difficult. 

And so much for his peloton profile...

apparently that was a fake account, JJ says he doesn't own one

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j-j-watt-wild-peloton-rumors-nfl-star-denies-he-used-bike-to-reveal-bills-browns-packers-as-finalists/

Edited by stevegrab

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Wow quite frankly this is a shock.  I thought for sure he was going to an AFC team, probably the Browns or Bills.  I guess he figures there's more chances of going to a Super Bowl from the NFC side.  

Agree. Thought he'd go to an AFC contender.

Maybe there are family reasons. Guess he didn't want to stray too far from Texas.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

8 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Agree. Thought he'd go to an AFC contender.

Maybe there are family reasons. Guess he didn't want to stray too far from Texas.

Maybe.  Or maybe Nuk was a big influence on him coming.  

Chandler Jones, Hasaan Reddick and Watt sounds like a pretty decent pass-rush corps.