[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL plans to expand regular season to 17 games per team in 2021

League_Champion

So FF Championship games to be played in week 17?  I'm thinking it would be cool to do a 2 week finals for week 16 and 17.  I know some leagues do this already. 

3 minutes ago, irish said:

So FF Championship games to be played in week 17?  I'm thinking it would be cool to do a 2 week finals for week 16 and 17.  I know some leagues do this already. 

I can see this happening and would be totally on board.

3 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I can see this happening and would be totally on board.

Yeah, I like it and think it's a great way to go, especially with players likely to be rested more with a longer season.  This way you'd have 2 weeks to accrue points and you could do it not only for 1st and 2nd Place but for 3rd place as well. 

I may have to get back into playing FF.

Edited by irish

This does mean that a 1,000-yard season just got easier to reach and that all NFL records probably will be reset over a few years.  How does that impact contracts that had performance marks? I'm not a fan of an extra game myself. Hard enough to keep players healthy as it is.

9 hours ago, DMD said:

This does mean that a 1,000-yard season just got easier to reach and that all NFL records probably will be reset over a few years.  How does that impact contracts that had performance marks? I'm not a fan of an extra game myself. Hard enough to keep players healthy as it is.

Great points. I guess they can burn the record books now. The hardcore old school football fan in me hates the idea of a 17 game regular season schedule but the Fantasy degenerate in me loves it. It's all about the money anyhow. 

I figured this was a done deal based on things we were hearing last season. It works well for my fantasy league, extending the regular season by one week means we will play every team now instead of missing one (3 divisions of 4 teams, play division twice then other 8 once). Not too worried about extra resting of players in week 17, that was already an issue in the past.

As for the record books, its been a long time since the number of games were increased (1978 wsa first with 16), so yes that will make an impact. As for "1000 yard season not meaning as much anymore..." did it mean that much before, 62.5 yards per game vs. 58.8 now. 1000 yards in 12 games required 83.3 ypg and 14 games meant 71.5.

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

This, exactly! 

I understand the point DMD was making, and for most of us fans we've lived mostly (or only) in the 16 game era. I watched football in the early-mid 70s, but wasn't into the stats and stuff like a 1000 yard rushing/receiving season being a major accomplishment back then. So yes it will be a small change, but one additional game doesn't mean all the records get shattered quickly. 

Look at last time games were added, 1978 was the first year with 16 games (all stats from Pro Football Reference site)

Rushing yards - in 1977 Walter Payton put up an amazing 1852 yards, OJ Simpson held the record (2003 in 1973).  Wasn't until 1980 that somebody had a better year than Payton and 1984 until OJ was surpassed by Eric Dickerson who is still the all time leader with 2105.

Receiving yards - no player had 1000 in 1977, Drew Pearson led the league with 870 (but 3 players had 1000+ the prior season), the all time leader at that point was Houston Oilers Charley Hennigan with 1746 in 1961 (14 games). In 1978 the leader was Wesley Walker (Jets) with 1169 yards (4 players broke 1000), but Hennigan's record stood until 1995 when both Isaac Bruce (1781) and Jerry Rice (1848) broke it.   I think the additional game increases the chance somebody hits 2000 yards. 

Passing yards - leader in 77 was Joe Furguson (BUF) with 2803, the next season with 2 more games 5 QBs posted 3000+. I believe the record in 1977 was Namath;s 4007 from 1967, and that stood until Fouts 4082 in just the second season with 16 games. Of course that record is long gone with totals over 5000 starting as far back 1984 with Marino. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I understand the point DMD was making, and for most of us fans we've lived mostly (or only) in the 16 game era. I watched football in the early-mid 70s, but wasn't into the stats and stuff like a 1000 yard rushing/receiving season being a major accomplishment back then. So yes it will be a small change, but one additional game doesn't mean all the records get shattered quickly. 

Look at last time games were added, 1978 was the first year with 16 games (all stats from Pro Football Reference site)

Rushing yards - in 1977 Walter Payton put up an amazing 1852 yards, OJ Simpson held the record (2003 in 1973).  Wasn't until 1980 that somebody had a better year than Payton and 1984 until OJ was surpassed by Eric Dickerson who is still the all time leader with 2105.

Receiving yards - no player had 1000 in 1977, Drew Pearson led the league with 870 (but 3 players had 1000+ the prior season), the all time leader at that point was Houston Oilers Charley Hennigan with 1746 in 1961 (14 games). In 1978 the leader was Wesley Walker (Jets) with 1169 yards (4 players broke 1000), but Hennigan's record stood until 1995 when both Isaac Bruce (1781) and Jerry Rice (1848) broke it.   I think the additional game increases the chance somebody hits 2000 yards. 

Passing yards - leader in 77 was Joe Furguson (BUF) with 2803, the next season with 2 more games 5 QBs posted 3000+. I believe the record in 1977 was Namath;s 4007 from 1967, and that stood until Fouts 4082 in just the second season with 16 games. Of course that record is long gone with totals over 5000 starting as far back 1984 with Marino. 

I agree Steve. Nicely done. 

• 4 weeks later...

Official press release from NFL, includes the games which will be added to the already set list of matchups for each team this upcoming season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-approve-enhanced-schedule-with-17-regular-season-games-per-team

For fantasy football easy change in our league, and I presume for most. Regular season is now one week longer (14 for us) which works out great, allowing us to play every team in the league (3 divisions with 4 teams each, already played them twice and all but one of the remaining 8). 

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

do y'all play your superbowl in the last week of the regular season?

Nope we have always had our title game the week before. The extra week works perfect for us, I suppose others who already have a more ideal schedule may have trouble figuring out how to use that extra week. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Nope we have always had our title game the week before. The extra week works perfect for us, I suppose others who already have a more ideal schedule may have trouble figuring out how to use that extra week. 

With more games I could see the better teams clinching Divisions earlier, in turn resting players even earlier. It will be interesting for sure. 

40 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

With more games I could see the better teams clinching Divisions earlier, in turn resting players even earlier. It will be interesting for sure. 

Yep anything is possible, but we're not too concerned that risk at this point. The extra game may slightly increase the chance of resting players, but that has been there for a long time (since most of us started playing FF). 

10 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Really if you want to expand, need to have two bye weeks. Just saying!

Nope, don't need that at all. One extra game does not require another week off and adding 2 weeks to the schedule. And the seasons with 2 bye weeks were just really bad with too many weekends with week slates of games. 

I felt the current 32 teams, 16 games, 12 playoff team format was fine. But considering there hasn't been expansion in those things, especially games, in some time it was bound to happen. 

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

It won't be long before they add an 18th game. An odd number won't work for long. That will most certainly mean another bye week. 

Actually it will be a while, at least until the next CBA since this recent one opened up the chance for the 17th game, but stops there. They might want to try and expand again, but the owners will have to agree to give even more money to the players. 

I think a big reason for this expansion is to open up more games for international play. The extra home game for half of the league makes more inventory to pull from, they are committed to have at least 4 games per season (2 in London, plus others), and the new contracts require each NFL team to give up a home game once every 8 years. So instead of 4 extra home games every 8 years, they'll have just 3 and the 4th will be played outside the US. Yes that will include the Cowboys, Packers, Steelers etc. You might hear the owners whine about it, but they as a group approved the plan and have to abide by it.