[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL's possible coming deals with Amazon

purplemonster

16 hours ago, Big John said:

Now they are moving a playoff game to Peacock.  A playoff game on premium streaming only is totally unacceptable to me. :furious:

totally agree.  altho...isn't that how Amazon started?  Their first NFL game was a playoff game I believe.  it was pretty easy to get a free trial so you could watch that game. which i did with no  intention of subscribing to it.   since then I watch a lot of stuff on amazon. so that worked well for them i guess. what does peacock have to offer?  hopefully at least a free trial like before so we can at least watch the game. we'll see i guess,

4 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Oh, fyi, if you have Xfinity internet, you get peacock for free, so double check before paying for anything

I forget who my brother in NorCal area has, thought it was Comcast, and they also have Peacock free. 

I have ATT U-Verse, we get nothing for free. I do get a channel called MAVTV that carries some motorsports that several friends don't get on their TV systems. 

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I forget who my brother in NorCal area has, thought it was Comcast, and they also have Peacock free. 

I have ATT U-Verse, we get nothing for free. I do get a channel called MAVTV that carries some motorsports that several friends don't get on their TV systems. 

Yes but not p+ . Get ready folks...Winter's comming. I fear a PPV future is upon us. How much are Big Mac's? Fries? It's a PPV world and we are all in for a shock. It's not too far ahead. Sure you can make $19.75/hr to flip burgers at IN and Out but to what end?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Big John said:

NFLN is not streaming and I am already displeased with prime.

But how is that any different than having to find a provider that had NFLN if your provider didn't? 

Not much different than MNF moving to ESPN if you didn't have a provider with ESPN.

• Thanks 1

For me, games on Amazon Prime are fine since we already subscribe and are definitely keeping it, and not just for the NFL games.  I watch a ton of shows there and occasionally download a movie for a flight.

But Peacock?  Huh?  AND for a playoff game?  

Lots of sports bars have Amazon Prime but I seriously doubt they have Peacock.  Guess I'll be missing that game.  :shrug:

• Like 1

I haven't had a live TV programming service in 16 years.  I have continually asked for a streaming Red Zone only service and it simply never comes.  Instead they now put manure on another streaming service that I simply have no use for.  I already have 2 services (which is down from 4 now) to cover our very casual watching needs.  

Frankly, I'm just going to continue to pirate their manure when needed and not feel bad about it.  I've pretty much just stopped watching the last 3-4 years, maybe have watched 20 full games during that time (mostly on Prime sadly).  They simply won't give a non-exorbitant legal option.

15 hours ago, Big Country said:

But how is that any different than having to find a provider that had NFLN if your provider didn't? 

Not much different than MNF moving to ESPN if you didn't have a provider with ESPN.

What TV provider doesn't carry ESPN? (That was in 2006)

NFLN was a bit more of a nitch product for a long time, but eventually was on almost all platforms. As they lost content (live NFL games) it became less important to carry them.

But every streaming service is a separate thing, and you need that service for that content. So if say in 5-10 years every playoff game is on some streaming or cable service how many separate things will you need to pay for. Instead of shopping for one (out of many options) that has them all. 

My brother in NorCal said that Comcast has been sending out notices that the Peacock Premium will no longer be free later this year, before NFL season. He thought it was regular Peacock, either way sounds like he won't have this playoff game either. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Def. said:

I haven't had a live TV programming service in 16 years.  I have continually asked for a streaming Red Zone only service and it simply never comes.  Instead they now put manure on another streaming service that I simply have no use for.  I already have 2 services (which is down from 4 now) to cover our very casual watching needs.  

Frankly, I'm just going to continue to pirate their manure when needed and not feel bad about it.  I've pretty much just stopped watching the last 3-4 years, maybe have watched 20 full games during that time (mostly on Prime sadly).  They simply won't give a non-exorbitant legal option.

There are 3-4 games on broadcast TV every Sunday, unless you're too far away to do that (I'm 30 miles from CLE and can get 3 of 4 networks with a small indoor antenna) you have access to a lot of games even without ESPN and the streaming options. 

I have never paid for an NFL broadcast. I certainly won't quit watching, but I never will pay. I don't care if it's a Packer playoff game. If it's subscription only, I will listen on the radio. Now if GB was in the Superbowl and it was only PPV, I might not be so high and mighty. :unsure: 

• Like 1

So you and everyone else saying they will never or have never paid don't have cable/DirecTV/Streaming Service of any kind and only watch via an antenna?

Whether paying directly (ie PPV or Sunday Ticket), semi-directly (subscribing to a service like Prime/Paramount for access to certain games as a part of their total service) or indirectly (paying for DirecTV, cable or a live streaming service like Hulu or YouTube TV to be able to watch NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.), we are all paying to watch football games. Even people with those services that don't watch football are paying for it as it is baked into the cost of the service, just as those that have those services just to watch sports are paying for the cost of providing the other channels, whether they watch them or not.

The NFL is just tinkering with the model to maximize their revenue stream. The success of Sunday Ticket (and now the Youtube package of it) over the years and the amount of money providers are willing to spend to have broadcast rights tells me that the majority of the football watching population is willing to spend to have access to watch games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, chester said:

I have never paid for an NFL broadcast. I certainly won't quit watching, but I never will pay. I don't care if it's a Packer playoff game. If it's subscription only, I will listen on the radio. Now if GB was in the Superbowl and it was only PPV, I might not be so high and mighty. :unsure: 

If you live in the Packers primary TV market and they are in a playoff game it will be on broadcast TV, at least at this time (the game that will be on Peacock will be on in local markets on broadcast TV, just like all NFL games have been for many decades. We can hope that won't change, but I have a feeling everything is for sale. 

26 minutes ago, Big Country said:

So you and everyone else saying they will never or have never paid don't have cable/DirecTV/Streaming Service of any kind and only watch via an antenna?

We pay for a TV package full of many channels that provide many hours of various programs. That is not the same as paying a fee to subscribe to some streaming service (including Prime) just to get one or more NFL games with no other need for that service. 

Edited by stevegrab
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

We pay for a TV package full of many channels that provide many hours of various programs. That is not the same as paying a fee to subscribe to some streaming service (including Prime) just to get one or more NFL games with no other need for that service. 

And if you actually read the entire post that distinction was addressed - whether directly on indirectly, you are paying to watch those football games.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Country said:

And if you actually read the entire post that distinction was addressed - whether directly on indirectly, you are paying to watch those football games.

I pay for a group of TV channels that give me lots of things I watch. If ESPN suddenly left my TV package, I would not pay extra for it just to watch the MNF games. Same way as the TNF games moving off of broadcast channels (or NFLN before when I had that channel) didn't cause me to spend more to pay for Prime just to watch those. 

So if the NFL keeps moving their product to platforms that require subscriptions to services I don't already have or need, I won't be paying. It may be different for others, especially households with several people who may already have those services, or are OK with spending the money to get them

• Confused 1

Peacock will no longer be for free in a few weeks. People will be charged for it if they pull it up through xfinity. What once was free will no longer be...simply be calling it up, they will charge you. Pretty shady really.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I pay for a group of TV channels that give me lots of things I watch. If ESPN suddenly left my TV package, I would not pay extra for it just to watch the MNF games. Same way as the TNF games moving off of broadcast channels (or NFLN before when I had that channel) didn't cause me to spend more to pay for Prime just to watch those. 

So if the NFL keeps moving their product to platforms that require subscriptions to services I don't already have or need, I won't be paying. It may be different for others, especially households with several people who may already have those services, or are OK with spending the money to get them

You already do pay extra for ESPN. The expense is just baked into your overall “service”. In fact, as I recall, ESPN is the most expensive channel for providers to carry, so if anything, the fact that your provider has ESPN as a basic offering most likely means that it is the largest portion of content expense that your payments go towards.

You say you wouldn’t change services for football, but a large enough portion of the football watching world will or has already.

How many people do you think cancelled their DirecTV subscription and signed up for YouTubeTV just to be able to pay for the NFL package?

Prime was already a fairly big service, but how many people do you think subscribed to Prime for the football and ended up keeping it?

Paramount is playing at the same thing - get people to check them out for the football, and hope enough of them stay for the other offerings to keep them around.

• Thanks 1

I have not doubt that many will be willing to pay. I won't, and it sounds like I am not the only one here saying that. Maybe we're outliers. I know at almost 60 I am far from the top demographic for any kind of entertainment consumption. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Peacock will no longer be for free in a few weeks. People will be charged for it if they pull it up through xfinity. What once was free will no longer be...simply be calling it up, they will charge you. Pretty shady really.

Peacock as a service was not free - much like Apple TV was “free” for a year when you bought an iPhone - it was a pay service that they added in as part of another service to hook people in. Buy an Android, get Peacock for a year or buy XYZ product or service and we add it on for a year.

Same as when I purchased some AirPods, I was offered Apple Music free for several months. The hope being that after that period, I’d like it enough that I’d keep it.

Much like any good dealer, the first taste is free, after that, you gotta pay. Just about every streaming service offers a free trial - either a week or a month usually so you can get hooked and just keep the service.