[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TE Jonnu Smith to Patriots

Big John

Pat's signed a lot of FAs today. They're trying really hard to contend again.

NT Davon Godchaux: 2 years, $16 million.

OLB Matthew Judon: 4 years, $56 million.      DB Jalen Mills: 4 years, $24 million.

TE Jonnu Smith: 4 years, $50 million.

WR Nelson Agholor 2 years, $26 million.

Edited by Shaft

20 hours ago, darin3 said:

Wow I thought for sure the Pats would get Hunter Henry.  I wonder if Henry now ends up in Tennessee since they now have only Anthony Firkser, who is not starter-caliber material, at TE.

They got Henry today.

38 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wow Pats are spending like drunken sailor in port headed out to battle (I typed that before clicking on the link below)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/16/patriots-to-sign-hunter-henry/

Two tight ends because Cam can no longer throw a deep ball. I'm surprised BB hasn't made a move for Ertz. 

Well the Pats should certainly be better.  I am not sure I totally understand the money they are putting in for mediocre-good but they will have a lot of depth, and Donta Hightower and Patrick Chung opted out last year and will be back, so that will help.  Still hard to see them going that far with Newton.  The charitable case would be that Newton was more affected by Covid than was let on, but I don't know if that explains the accuracy issues. 

2 hours ago, Big John said:

They got Henry today.

Saw that.  Don't like it as a Henry owner in a dynasty league.  Pretty much moves him down a tier in rankings.  He's definitely better than Smith, but with all that money they threw at Smith, I'm sure they plan on using both extensively.

51 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Saw that.  Don't like it as a Henry owner in a dynasty league.  Pretty much moves him down a tier in rankings.  He's definitely better than Smith, but with all that money they threw at Smith, I'm sure they plan on using both extensively.

Agree 💯. I think it diminishes both players values. Kind of a puzzling move for Belichick. 

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Well the Pats should certainly be better.  I am not sure I totally understand the money they are putting in for mediocre-good but they will have a lot of depth, and Donta Hightower and Patrick Chung opted out last year and will be back, so that will help.  Still hard to see them going that far with Newton.  The charitable case would be that Newton was more affected by Covid than was let on, but I don't know if that explains the accuracy issues. 

I still think Newton is mostly a backup plan if they cannot acquire (draft, FA, trade) a better QB. 

Getting those guys back on defense will help that side, but they were not horrible last year (7th in points allowed, 15th in yards allowed). They had COVID opt outs on offense too, among the key ones RT Marcus Cannon and RB Brandon Bolden. 

Last year had a lot of odd stuff going on, I wouldn't write off the Pats rebounding to a playoff caliber team, BB isn't a dummy. 

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I wonder if anyone traded (in dynasty) Jonnu between his signing and Hunter's signing. Would be fun to hear from the owners on both sides of that trade :)

Neither Jonnu nor Henry owners are likely too happy. Sounds like a good year to avoid everyone on the Patriots again, except maybe the RB, although I've already forgotten his name. Speaking of, what is Keenan Allen's stock these days?

Edited by purplemonster

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I still think Newton is mostly a backup plan if they cannot acquire (draft, FA, trade) a better QB. 

Getting those guys back on defense will help that side, but they were not horrible last year (7th in points allowed, 15th in yards allowed). They had COVID opt outs on offense too, among the key ones RT Marcus Cannon and RB Brandon Bolden. 

Last year had a lot of odd stuff going on, I wouldn't write off the Pats rebounding to a playoff caliber team, BB isn't a dummy. 

Agreed on writing off BB is likely a fool's errand. They had some pretty bad QB play and no offensive stars, multiple impactful opt outs, and they were still 7-9.  It is just hard to see how far they can go with Newton unless his post covid performance was an aberration or they find a QB somehow. I am sure BB will get plenty of use out of his two athletic TE'S.  Will be interesting to see what they do at QB from here on out. Cam is only guaranteed like 6 million. 

Edited by purplemonster

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I have to agree here. Also all the of the "Brady winning without Belichick" media coverage has to strike a nerve. He actually has something to prove for the first time in a longgg time. 

Edited by Shaft