[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deshaun Watson accused of sexual assault, says he's innocent

Wolverines Fan

Rotowhatever:

Lawyer Tony Buzbee alleged that Deshaun Watson's misconduct happened "as recently as this month." 

Watson is now facing seven confirmed lawsuits with five more expected to be filed shortly and another 10 women reportedly prepared to allege sexual misconduct during massage sessions. The Texans have yet to comment while the league continues to investigate these matters. As it stands, there are still "several" NFL teams — Panthers, Eagles, Jets, Dolphins, 49ers, and Broncos — that remain "extremely interested" in acquiring Watson. This case will likely extend throughout the spring.

Still withholding judgement, but honestly not sure what to think if even more suits are filed. 

Anyone seen that damn bear?  We might need some PSAs here. 

3 hours ago, Def. said:

Rotowhatever:

Still withholding judgement, but honestly not sure what to think if even more suits are filed. 

Anyone seen that damn bear?  We might need some PSAs here. 

Agree, innocent unless proven guilty but so many lawsuits. Looks bad.

Don't think they're all lying.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

On 3/17/2021 at 3:52 AM, League_Champion said:

"Sexual Assault" but no Police report or charges filed? Sounds like someone's looking for a payday. It's called extortion. 

Less than 2 days later you say this:

"The wheels are falling off. There's like 350,000 accusers already. Not looking good for you Deshaun."

Jesus man.  Think more and post less. Your need to chime in every other post makes for an exhausting, redundant, and then somehow contradictory; while being  a completely meaningless; read. 

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Think more and post less. Your need to chime in every other post makes for an exhausting, redundant, and then somehow contradictory; while being  a completely meaningless; read. 

Still no police report, you little Troll. Stop worrying about what I say. Block me or don't read my posts if you have a problem with me. 

• Like 1

According to the lawyer for the women, they are not claiming sexual assault, in Texas there is a Civil Assalt law, and it is defined as :

Buzbee defined “civil assault” under Texas civil law as “intentionally or knowingly causing physical contact with a plaintiff when the defendant knows, or should know, that the plaintiff would regard such contact as offensive.”

On 3/19/2021 at 11:12 AM, Shaft said:

They can also be one in the same. Because a victim turns it into a money grab situation doesn't make them less of a victim. 

Not less of a victim, but one that people may have less sympathy for. If you were victimized and seem more focused on a payout than having the person locked up people may just see you as somebody trying to profit from the misfortune. Especially if there is one lawyer involved representing all of the victims, who will profit greatly from any judgements in the case. 

Don't know what to believe, usually the more claims against somebody the more likely they're guilty. I never wanted to believe Bill Cosby was the scumbag he turned out to be, but those were also criminal proceedings where he was shown to have done what he was accused of. Hopefully there is some fair trial process and Watson is given a chance to clear his name if he is really innocent. If the #METOO movement allows innocent people to be railroaded I have to ask if we are really in a better place than before or not. 

On 3/20/2021 at 12:11 AM, purplemonster said:

This is an interesting take from Florio, who is a lawyer himself, the first 7-8 min are worth watching. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/19/houston-police-denies-contact-with-tony-buzbee-regarding-deshaun-watson/#comments

Interesting read, Buzzbee does sound like a carnival barker, and if he claims to have talked to police but they say they haven't talked to him he looses some credibility. 

As for the cases being for $500 and court costs, how much is the lawyer making, what is he charging the alleged victims for his services that will be covered by court costs? Or is he doing it for free? 

Florio sounds really pissed, and thinks Buzzbee is a POS as a lawyer and a big liar about all sorts of things. Apparently this lawyer who doesn't know if the owner's name is Cal or Hal McNair, bought a billboard 7 years ago telling then owner Bob McNair to draft Johnny Manziel, from his alma mater. 

Edited by stevegrab

26 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not less of a victim, but one that people may have less sympathy for. If you were victimized and seem more focused on a payout than having the person locked up people may just see you as somebody trying to profit from the misfortune. Especially if there is one lawyer involved representing all of the victims, who will profit greatly from any judgements in the case. 

Don't know what to believe, usually the more claims against somebody the more likely they're guilty. I never wanted to believe Bill Cosby was the scumbag he turned out to be, but those were also criminal proceedings where he was shown to have done what he was accused of. Hopefully there is some fair trial process and Watson is given a chance to clear his name if he is really innocent. If the #METOO movement allows innocent people to be railroaded I have to ask if we are really in a better place than before or not. 

I agree with most of this. I think its important to remember that a crime is a violation of state law, not a violation to the victim. Besides testimonies and maybe a victim impact statement, victims get very little from the criminal justice system. The civil system is the only system where they are formally acknowledged for compensation for the harm done to them.

14 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Interesting read, Buzzbee does sound like a carnival barker, and if he claims to have talked to police but they say they haven't talked to him he looses some credibility. 

Exactly. In reading about Buzzbee he does seem to be more of an ambulance chasing scum bag and is regarded as a shameless self promoter In the Houston area. He's definitely in it for the money. 

9 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I agree with most of this. I think its important to remember that a crime is a violation of state law, not a violation to the victim. Besides testimonies and maybe a victim impact statement, victims get very little from the criminal justice system. The civil system is the only system where they are formally acknowledged for compensation for the harm done to them.

Not sure I follow, are you saying that pressing criminal charges against somebody that could put somebody in jail for a long time does NOTHING for the victim? 

The civil system may be the only one where they can be directly compensated, but that doesn't mean they get nothing from criminal case. Why bother having a criminal case then, is that for society to get their pound of flesh? And to punish the bad person who committed the crime? 

I think I'm misunderstanding the point you were trying to make, because it sounds like "victims have no reason to be involved in criminal justice, civil justice ($$$) is all they should be doing". 

48 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I think I'm misunderstanding the point you were trying to make, because it sounds like "victims have no reason to be involved in criminal justice, civil justice ($$$) is all they should be doing". 

And if he did commit these crimes wouldn't you, as a victim want him off the streets so he can't harm other Women? 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

As for the cases being for $500 and court costs, how much is the lawyer making, what is he charging the alleged victims for his services that will be covered by court costs? Or is he doing it for free? 

I think this clarifies it some because there is some confusion about the $500 figure, that's not what he is asking for.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/two-more-lawsuits-have-been-filed-against-deshaun-watson-running-the-total-to-nine/

Buzbee has insisted that the lawsuits aren’t about the money, focusing on the notion that the lawsuits seek the “jurisdictional minimum” of $500. But this doesn’t mean Buzbee wants only the minimum amount of $500 per client; a demand for $500 is the minimum amount required to get the case in court. It’s not a limitation on the amount of money that ultimately may change hands via settlement or verdict.

Every lawsuit filed against Watson by Buzbee has a claim for damages, including claims for (based on the first lawsuit filed last week) “conscious physical and mental pain and suffering, and anguish, past and future,” for “physical impairment, past and future,” for “loss of enjoyment of life and peace of mind, past and future,” for “reasonable and necessary medical, counseling, psychiatric, therapeutic and related expenses, past and future,” for “loss of earnings and earning capacity,” and punitive damages.

So these cases are about the money, and that’s fine. That’s how the civil justice system works. The powerful hold the powerful accountable by making them pay for their misdeeds.

Buzbee is trying to have it both ways, scoring points in the court of public opinion by claiming it’s not about money while preserving his ability to seek every last dollar for his clients (as he should).

Again, that’s fine. That’s how it works. Buzbee knows it. He also knows that the average person is more likely to chafe at a perceived money grab than at an noble and virtuous effort to advance broader societal interests.

The truth is that the civil justice system can, and should, do both. Buzbee has somehow managed to sidestep that reality in a P.R. push that has caught and kept Watson and his lawyers/advisors flatfooted.

Lawyer Rusty Hardin has said Watson’s response is coming this week. In the court of public opinion, there’s a chance that it’s already too late.

Edited by purplemonster

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Not sure I follow, are you saying that pressing criminal charges against somebody that could put somebody in jail for a long time does NOTHING for the victim? 

The civil system may be the only one where they can be directly compensated, but that doesn't mean they get nothing from criminal case. Why bother having a criminal case then, is that for society to get their pound of flesh? And to punish the bad person who committed the crime? 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

And if he did commit these crimes wouldn't you, as a victim want him off the streets so he can't harm other Women? 

Putting someone in jail and meaning for the victim? It all depends on the case. In this type of case, for most people, the criminal justice system is not worth it. There are varied degrees of sexual assault and the research has shown that most people will not report these offenses because of the shame that comes with it. Sexual assault is the most underreported offense due to public shaming and the chances of a person not being convicted. They go through a whole trial, for there NOT to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and then are called false accusers, liars, etc. This is very common. We don't know and will probably never know the truth. All I am saying, is that I understand why they are taking the civil route.

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I hear you but why not both? File criminal charges with a Civil suit on the backside? It doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. 

I've seen it not be worth it too many times. If you want a good example of sports and sexual assault, look at the Brock Turner case. He's a perfect example of why people don't report this stuff. 

Just now, Shaft said:

I've seen it not be worth it too many times. If you want a good example of sports and sexual assault, look at the Brock Turner case. He's a perfect example of why people don't report this stuff. 

Good points but we're talking "Sexual Assault". If true shouldn't the first priority be to get him off the streets so that he can't harm other Women? If that's my Daughter he's in jail right now if not dead. I think the Lawyer is in it for himself and trying to get some quick settlements to make it go bye bye. 

49 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Putting someone in jail and meaning for the victim? It all depends on the case. In this type of case, for most people, the criminal justice system is not worth it. There are varied degrees of sexual assault and the research has shown that most people will not report these offenses because of the shame that comes with it. Sexual assault is the most underreported offense due to public shaming and the chances of a person not being convicted. They go through a whole trial, for there NOT to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and then are called false accusers, liars, etc. This is very common. We don't know and will probably never know the truth. All I am saying, is that I understand why they are taking the civil route.

Thanks for the follow up explanation, maybe there's something else I'm missing about being able to remain anonymous in this civil case (which I saw in one article), which doesn't apply in a criminal matter, so the victims would have to come forward and be open to public scrutiny. Otherwise I don't see why they don't do both (civil and criminal). 

Per profootballtalk.com the numbers of lawsuits against Watson is up to 13.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/another-lawsuit-filed-against-deshaun-watson-total-up-to-13/

Something here stinks.  You mean to tell me out of 13+ women, not ONE of them reported something to the police?  I get that many, MANY sexual assaults are never reported.  I get that.  And it's incredibly unfortunate given the world we find ourselves in.

But you'd think if there were SO many instances of this guy ASSUALTING a woman, that at least one of them would have reported it to the authorities.

I don't care that they are reportedly filing for the jurisdictional minimum of $500.  We all know this is not going to end with them getting $500 plus court fees each.  They are hoping for a payday out of court.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's happened before and it'll happen again.  I fully realize that men get away with too much in many cases.  But the sheer fact that there are 13 (and counting) allegations but ZERO police reports makes me say "hmmm...".  He very well could be guilty and this could just be an instance where none of the 13+ felt it was worth coming forward about.  In that case I'll certainly eat crow.... but again, it just smells fishy.  Also, I don't trust 99% of lawyers.

Edited by darin3