[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deshaun Watson accused of sexual assault, says he's innocent

Wolverines Fan

52 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Something here stinks.  You mean to tell me out of 13+ women, not ONE of them reported something to the police?  I get that many, MANY sexual assaults are never reported.  I get that.  And it's incredibly unfortunate given the world we find ourselves in.

But you'd think if there were SO many instances of this guy ASSUALTING a woman, that at least one of them would have reported it to the authorities.

I don't care that they are reportedly filing for the jurisdictional minimum of $500.  We all know this is not going to end with them getting $500 plus court fees each.  They are hoping for a payday out of court.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's happened before and it'll happen again.  I fully realize that men get away with too much in many cases.  But the sheer fact that there are 13 (and counting) allegations but ZERO police reports makes me say "hmmm...".  He very well could be guilty and this could just be an instance where none of the 13+ felt it was worth coming forward about.  In that case I'll certainly eat crow.... but again, it just smells fishy.  Also, I don't trust 99% of lawyers.

Like we said, we don't know. But this is not uncommon, not just the underreporting of sexual assaults, but the nonreporting when it comes to the rich and famous. We've seen it before, one comes out and the floodgates open. It's happening with a Governor right now.

24 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Like we said, we don't know. But this is not uncommon, not just the underreporting of sexual assaults, but the nonreporting when it comes to the rich and famous. We've seen it before, one comes out and the floodgates open. It's happening with a Governor right now.

I get that, I really do.  It just seems weird that zero out of 13 thought of going to police.  If it was just one or two women, I would have not even thought of it.  But since it's 13 (and counting), it just seems odd.  Either way, I feel bad for all parties involved.

53 minutes ago, Big Country said:

Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby would like you to hold their beers right now.

I do think a lot of that was pre-metoo movement. There is little chance Cosby would get away with drugging and raping multiple women like that these days, that was truly heinous. I doubt the casting couch has gone fully away though. 

Edited by purplemonster

7 minutes ago, heehawks said:

WTF?? If he really did this to numerous women, his career is over.

Agreed, as it should be. 

I find it very hard to believe that he is innocent at this point. I’d say it’s unlikely he ever plays in the NFL again, and if these accusations are true he should be in prison.

If it was only 1 or 2 women I could see the possibility of a money grab but not when you’re pushing 20 lawsuits

Edited by Finn5033

2 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

I’d say it’s unlikely he ever plays in the NFL again

Ya, that's not how the NFL works.  They're all about letting PoS play again...err...second chances. 

PLEASE NOTE: This is just a generalization about the NFL and how they've handle prized player's indiscretions in the past, and is not currently directed at Watson specifically.  

7 minutes ago, Def. said:

Ya, that's not how the NFL works.  They're all about letting PoS play again...err...second chances. 

PLEASE NOTE: This is just a generalization about the NFL and how they've handle prized player's indiscretions in the past, and is not currently directed at Watson specifically.  

Agree, but times are changing, and I don't recall any NFL player doing something like what he is accused of and getting a second chance. You have guys like AP who beat his kid got a second chance. Ray Rice beat his wife, video evidence made his talent not worth the headache. Ray Lewis was charged with murder and got off so allowed to continue playing. Aaron Hernandez was convicted of murder, I doubt he'd have ever been allowed to play even if freed shortly after while his body was capable. 

I agree that sports and the $$$ that go along with it will blind some and give people plenty of second chances (Mike Vick, Josh Gordon), but not sure it would happen in this case, in this era. The public outrage might be too much for the NFL to ignore. 

8 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Agree, but times are changing, and I don't recall any NFL player doing something like what he is accused of and getting a second chance. You have guys like AP who beat his kid got a second chance. Ray Rice beat his wife, video evidence made his talent not worth the headache. Ray Lewis was charged with murder and got off so allowed to continue playing. Aaron Hernandez was convicted of murder, I doubt he'd have ever been allowed to play even if freed shortly after while his body was capable. 

I agree that sports and the $$$ that go along with it will blind some and give people plenty of second chances (Mike Vick, Josh Gordon), but not sure it would happen in this case, in this era. The public outrage might be too much for the NFL to ignore. 

Agreed, I’m not saying it’s impossible, but unless it is proven that all of these allegations are false I don’t see how he plays again. The backlash would be too much, and rightfully so

Edited by Finn5033

19 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

If he's smart he'll start writing checks immediately. 

That doesn't sound smart at all, plenty of damaging info has already been released, paying off all his accusers won't make that go away. 

Well unless he is guilty of many of the accusations, then he might be better off admitting it now. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

That doesn't sound smart at all, plenty of damaging info has already been released, paying off all his accusers won't make that go away. 

Well unless he is guilty of many of the accusations, then he might be better off admitting it now. 

Guilty or innocent I think he's toast either way. There's just too much heat on him right now and it's not going to get better any time soon. You're right though, if he did do it just admit it and downplay it. And if you're innocent get on every media forum to scream your innocence, which oddly enough he hasn't. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/deshaun-watson-needs-to-settle-these-cases-now/

Deshaun Watson needs to settle these cases, now

Mike Florio

In the week since Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson disclosed that he was facing a lawsuit that he refused to settle, I’ve been asked several times over the past few days how I would represent and/or advise Watson. I’ve thought about it a lot, reflecting on cases that I handled during a 18-year legal career before making this my full-time job in 2009. 

Before representing Watson, I’d want him to pass a polygraph test, so that I could put my full effort and attention behind a cause that I believed to be right and just and proper. I wouldn’t want to attach my name and reputation to someone I didn’t fully believe. Based on the number of plaintiffs currently accusing Watson of misconduct, I would only fully believe Watson if he passed a polygraph test.

The advice I’d give him has nothing to do with his potential guilt or innocence. Regardless of whether he’s guilty or innocent or some of both, he should settle all pending and threatened cases, now.

He should instruct his lawyer, Rusty Hardin, to arrange a mass mediation session with attorney Tony Buzbee. They should hire a retired judge with the presence and demeanor to make all parties feel like their voices have been heard, and that their day in court has been realized. The retired judge would serve as a mediator, negotiating an agreement between Watson and each and every accuser for a dollar figure and other terms that would fully resolve the cases. Watson, for example, would seek a full commitment to confidentiality, which would prevent the plaintiffs from cooperating with the NFL’s investigation under the Personal Conduct Policy.

It may be too late for Watson to avoid an NFL suspension, however. The sheer volume of claims coupled with a fairly quick settlement could prompt the league to exercise its right to grill Watson about the cases and to conclude that, even though he admitted to no specific wrongdoing, he put himself in the kind of position that justifies punishment. That was the gist, for example, of the suspension imposed by the NFL on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in 2010.

Even if Watson still receives a suspension, it’s better than the alternative, which includes the reality of very expensive legal fees, the prospect of multiple verdicts against him, placement on paid leave by the league followed by a lengthy suspension, and potential incarceration.

Indeed, looming over the entire situation is the possibility that criminal charges will be filed. If Watson testifies in the civil lawsuits and invokes his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, he’ll lose every one of them. If he testifies in the civil lawsuits and if it goes poorly, he’ll provide the prosecutor with a potential roadmap for criminal charges.

Thus, as distasteful as it may be to him to settle these claims, he needs to realize that it’s the only way out of this problem that entails a minimal legal fees, minimal disruption to his football career, minimal payouts to the plaintiffs (in comparison to the potential verdicts), and minimal chance of a conviction.

The plaintiffs, of course, wouldn’t be required to settle. For some, it may not be about the money. They may crave their chance to obtain justice in a court of law. If so, that’s their absolute right. If so, that will become obvious through the mediation process.

Regardless, the best move at this point would be to have a mediation session aimed at trying to resolve as many of these claims as possible and, from Watson’s perspective, ideally all of them.

This is the advice that I’d give Watson if he were my client, son, brother, nephew, cousin, friend, colleague, etc. Hopefully, someone in a position to influence Watson feels the same way, and will convince him to proceed with a strategy that involves trying to rectify these claims now, before irreversible damage is done to his career, his financial standing, and his image and reputation.

Edited by purplemonster

What amazes me is he is one of the best players in the NFL. A superstar. Why force yourself on massage therapists when you can go to any club you want and probably scoop the hottest chick there quite easily . These smoking hot instagram chicks love athletes . He could juggle 10 of them if he wanted to. Why force a massage chick ? The whole thing is bizarre . Its not to say famous people dont commit sexual crimes , because obviously they do , but to be a serial offender to massage girls when you can pick up smoking hot girls above board is a head scratcher 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whomper said:

What amazes me is he is one of the best players in the NFL. A superstar. Why force yourself on massage therapists when you can go to any club you want and probably scoop the hottest chick there quite easily . These smoking hot instagram chicks love athletes . He could juggle 10 of them if he wanted to. Why force a massage chick ? The whole thing is bizarre . Its not to say famous people dont commit sexual crimes , because obviously they do , but to be a serial offender to massage girls when you can pick up smoking hot girls above board is a head scratcher 

I think it is mainly thrill of the chase. If someone is throwing themselves as you it is not as much fun. 

3 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

Interesting take by Florio. However is image and reputation are probably already irreversibly damaged even if he settles all these suits

Agree very interesting. He sounds like he know what he's talking about, but I do wonder what kind of trials he was involved in as I know from talking to a few attorney friends that various types of law can be very specialized. (They often say something like "not my area of expertise but here's my take based on what I remember from that topic in law school.") I'd think different lawyers will have different advice on the situation, no doubt some/many agreeing with his general view. 

One thing is pretty clear to me, it is going to be hard for Watson and his attorney to build a defense if they are never told the identities of these women, which this Buzbee guys seems unwilling to do. Not sure how that works in the legal system. Sure they can say "he never did anything like that with any woman ever" but that's worth little in a court of law. 

Oh well, glad he's not my team (real or fantasy QB). 

Sad reality is often times the "truth" doesn't matter in these cases - it is often cheaper and less risk, even if innocent, to settle and not take the chance of a judgment going against you, especially since the bar is a lot lower in a civil case than a criminal case, which is one reason we may never see any criminal case come from any of this.

If guilty, it also is a way out without admitting any guilt.

Settlement will be confidential, very strict NDA and come with absolutely no admission of wrongdoing.