[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deshaun Watson accused of sexual assault, says he's innocent

Wolverines Fan

7 minutes ago, Big Country said:

If guilty, it also is a way out without admitting any guilt.

Settlement will be confidential, very strict NDA and come with absolutely no admission of wrongdoing.

Exactly, it's not noble or brave of these Women. It's a payday. The Brave thing to do would to have his ass locked up so he can't hurt anyone else. That's the right thing to do. Call the Police, not a Lawyer. 

33 minutes ago, Big Country said:

Sad reality is often times the "truth" doesn't matter in these cases - it is often cheaper and less risk, even if innocent, to settle and not take the chance of a judgment going against you, especially since the bar is a lot lower in a civil case than a criminal case, which is one reason we may never see any criminal case come from any of this.

If guilty, it also is a way out without admitting any guilt.

Settlement will be confidential, very strict NDA and come with absolutely no admission of wrongdoing.

Sure the local governments settle these things all the time, making large cash settlements (often thru their insurance) with various people that they harmed, often times related to some form of police wrongdoing. 

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Exactly, it's not noble or brave of these Women. It's a payday. The Brave thing to do would to have his ass locked up so he can't hurt anyone else. That's the right thing to do. Call the Police, not a Lawyer. 

Going to respectfully disagree. Often times, as I said earlier, these things are hard to prove in a criminal court. The standard of proof is much harder and Watson would probably win. In addition, even if he did it, he will come across as innocent because of proof beyond a reasonable doubt; the women are shamed and Watson comes out a winner. In this manner, Watson is paying in more ways than one. It's also important to note that there is a BIG difference between a prosecutor and a private attorney. We have two private attorneys going at each other and it will be a slugfest. In the criminal court system, it will be a D.A. prosecuting with little to lose. The private attorneys here have a LOT to gain.

Edited by Shaft

9 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Going to respectfully disagree. Often times, as I said earlier, these things are hard to prove in a criminal court. The standard of proof is much harder and Watson would probably win. In addition, even if he did it, he will come across as innocent because of proof beyond a reasonable doubt; the women are shamed and Watson comes out a winner. In this manner, Watson is paying in more ways than one. It's also important to note that there is a BIG difference between a prosecutor and a private attorney. We have two private attorneys going at each other and it will be a slugfest. In the criminal court system, it will be a D.A. prosecuting with little to lose. The private attorneys here have a LOT to gain.

I understand that and you are 1000% correct. All I'm asking is what good is any of this when he's still on the street to do it again? Because you know exactly how this story ends. He's going to write a big check, no criminal charges are filed and all of it goes away. UNTIL he does it again. Someone at least needs to try prosecuting him, no?? 

Legal expert says one of the most recent lawsuits filed could lead to criminal charges due to the various details it contains

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-lawsuit-that-is-most-problematic-for-deshaun-watson-014827728.html

At some point some DA is going to file charges, I don't know that they need a victim's support for that, though it would certainly help. Part of it is that she talked to two people immediately after it happened telling them about it, and they'd be able to testify supporting her story. The article states that some of the more severe charges (forced oral sex) did not have that kind of supporting evidence. 

At this point his future is in doubt, teams that were trying to trade for him (and the Texans) will need to look at other options. This isn't the guy you want leading your team in 2021 (if he can even get on the field). 

Why is an NFL star QB hiring massage therapists off instagram?   And its common knowledge that asking for a groin area massage is the hint that you are looking for the happy ending.   And if you didn't know that now you do.         

• Like 1

Hmm I missed this story, where attorney Buzbee explains (in grand conspiracy terms) why he won't give any information to Houston Police. See they're out to make him look bad, all related to his run for Mayor of Houston.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/30/tony-buzbee-wont-provide-information-regarding-deshaun-watson-to-houston-police-department-after-all/

The more this guy talks the more he sounds like a really shady ambulance chasing lying SOB of a lawyer. 

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Hmm I missed this story, where attorney Buzbee explains (in grand conspiracy terms) why he won't give any information to Houston Police. See they're out to make him look bad, all related to his run for Mayor of Houston.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/30/tony-buzbee-wont-provide-information-regarding-deshaun-watson-to-houston-police-department-after-all/

The more this guy talks the more he sounds like a really shady ambulance chasing lying SOB of a lawyer. 

And Buzbee likely is, I doubt that is even much of a question. That doesn't mean the women aren't telling the truth (I know you know that, just saying). Buzbee has been using this death by a thousand cuts PR format presumably to put max pressure on Watson to settle at maximum prices which as these womens' lawyers he is entitled to do. It doesn't sound like criminal prosecution does anything for Buzbee and maybe for some of the women who don't want to be part of a grueling ordeal with little chance of success. It sounds like instead everyone will get their pound of flesh from DeSean financially as punishment.  I think many of us wanted him to be innocent, myself included because he seems like a nice guy and didn't want it to be true but there are too many credible stories to think much else. Yes some are likely trumped up, who knows. But there's far too much there to dismiss. I am not really sure why he didn't settle these cases earlier, presuming he is guilty of at least some of the alleged conduct.  Maybe he thought he'd just keep getting away with it or was in denial. 

Edited by purplemonster

21 hours ago, purplemonster said:

And Buzbee likely is, I doubt that is even much of a question. That doesn't mean the women aren't telling the truth (I know you know that, just saying). Buzbee has been using this death by a thousand cuts PR format presumably to put max pressure on Watson to settle at maximum prices which as these womens' lawyers he is entitled to do. It doesn't sound like criminal prosecution does anything for Buzbee and maybe for some of the women who don't want to be part of a grueling ordeal with little chance of success. It sounds like instead everyone will get their pound of flesh from DeSean financially as punishment.  I think many of us wanted him to be innocent, myself included because he seems like a nice guy and didn't want it to be true but there are too many credible stories to think much else. Yes some are likely trumped up, who knows. But there's far too much there to dismiss. I am not really sure why he didn't settle these cases earlier, presuming he is guilty of at least some of the alleged conduct.  Maybe he thought he'd just keep getting away with it or was in denial. 

I still think there's a chance Watson is innocent, not because I want to believe it but because the huckster representing the accuses makes it a big circus.  (I have no skin in the game fantasy or NFL football wise, plenty of these guys we root for are real scum in one way or another, women beaters, bigots, adulterers, etc) 

I don't like the "well so many women accused him he must be guilty" view because it removes any requirement to prove something bad happened. Just makes it far to easy for somebody to be railroaded. 

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I still think there's a chance Watson is innocent, not because I want to believe it but because the huckster representing the accuses makes it a big circus.  (I have no skin in the game fantasy or NFL football wise, plenty of these guys we root for are real scum in one way or another, women beaters, bigots, adulterers, etc) 

I don't like the "well so many women accused him he must be guilty" view because it removes any requirement to prove something bad happened. Just makes it far to easy for somebody to be railroaded. 

Re: the last part, it is more the specificity of the complaints and how consistent they are even without knowledge of the others and the fact he is going through a zillion massage therapists and tracking them down on IG, I am struggling to find a reason why somebody would be doing that unless they up to some nonsense. In addition to his texts from what I can tell seem to indicate he knew they'd be uncomfortable. But I agree there should be proof whenever possible as you can expect people to extort people for any old reason if they don't need proof. 

4 hours ago, stethant said:

There's starting to be good reporting on this from very good, credible journalists...and that is changing my thinking towards the idea that Watson is in real trouble.

Care to share those sources, stories, etc?

Here's one thing I came across, not real critical reporting but something from Watson's attorney saying they have statements from 18 massage therapists who say Watson never acted inappropriately. Seems they've had a lot of people contacting them looking to support Watson and explain how they were never treated that way. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Rusty-Hardin-says-18-massage-therapists-had-no-16066839.phphttps://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Rusty-Hardin-says-18-massage-therapists-had-no-16066839.php

Any way you slice it, this does not look good.  But one thing that may have been missed is that the first accuser reportedly asked for $100k to keep things hush-hush... but it's "not about the money".  I still think there was some wrongdoing on Watson's part but both sides seem shady asf.

By this point, he's damaged goods. Has to be. No matter what happens, the tidal wave of actions against him leaves any rational person with the belief he did stuff that was wrong. It is hard to wrap a head around why he would do it, and there are tons of gold-diggers and shady attorneys, but either he's drifted off into some very creepy/illegal behaviors or this is the scam of the century.

2 hours ago, DMD said:

By this point, he's damaged goods. Has to be. No matter what happens, the tidal wave of actions against him leaves any rational person with the belief he did stuff that was wrong. It is hard to wrap a head around why he would do it, and there are tons of gold-diggers and shady attorneys, but either he's drifted off into some very creepy/illegal behaviors or this is the scam of the century.

Agree 💯. Guilty or not he's ruined. It's not important what you did, it's what people think you did thats important. Unfortunately that's the world we live in. You can accuse anyone of anything with no repercussions. 

6 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Reading that email between the lawyers was somewhat painful where DW's lawyers didn't pay the 100K, but said they could talk about a lower figure for DW for getting himself into this situation. Then Buzbee withdrew it probably bc he thought better of it and found more women so the deal was no-go. This is going to cost DW a lot more than whatever he would have paid at first. 

13 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Reading that email between the lawyers was somewhat painful where DW's lawyers didn't pay the 100K, but said they could talk about a lower figure for DW for getting himself into this situation. Then Buzbee withdrew it probably bc he thought better of it and found more women so the deal was no-go. This is going to cost DW a lot more than whatever he would have paid at first. 

He's done, it's too late. Especially if he starts cutting checks now. Everybody and their Grandmother will be coming forward for a piece of that.