[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dolphins trade #3 overall pick to 49ers

Big John

2 hours ago, Docniner said:

Yes I think Lance is a bit of a project but I believe he has better upside than Fields. If they take.Lance.they may want to hang on to Garoppolo  this year although don't know how that will sit with Jimmy G..I'm sure he's aware of the trade and knows his time is limited. If they can deal him before the draft then Fields might be their guy. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers make an offer to get the #1 pick. Stranger things have happened. Even with his contract maybe something could be worked out with the Jags to take Garoppolo, the #3 pick and whatever else they can agree on. Jags would get a decent starter and either Fields or Lance to groom. They are a young team and are not likely to win a ring this year. We've just seen them.move up to 3 so I think they might.take a stab at getting the #1. It is possible.

Just looking for clarifying details, are you a 49er fan?  I can only assume since your name is Docniner.  With that being the case, the mere conjuring of the above scenario is understandable wishful thinking. 

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Docniner said:

We've just seen them.move up to 3 so I think they might.take a stab at getting the #1. It is possible.

With what Assets?

Don't think we are in trading day and I doubt Jax will accept their next 2 2nd round picks.

5 hours ago, irish said:

Just looking for clarifying details, are you a 49er fan?  I can only assume since your name is Docniner.  With that being the case, the mere conjuring of the above scenario is understandable wishful thinking. 

Yeah just wishful thinking but still happy with who we get at 3. The don't really have enough to make a serious offer for the #1.

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

Taking the #5 qb at 1.03 would sure make things interesting

Hell, I was gonna say the Giants did it when they took Daniel Jones way higher than people expected and where he should've gone. Then I decided to look back at the 2019 draft and man that draft sucked!  

The Seahawks did steal Metcalf though!

Edited by irish

7 hours ago, irish said:

Hell, I was gonna say the Giants did it when they took Daniel Jones way higher than people expected and where he should've gone. Then I decided to look back at the 2019 draft and man that draft sucked!  

The Seahawks did steal Metcalf though!

True, Mac Jones does have that Daniel Jones feel about him. Trubisky would be low hanging fruit, Haha. 

so six qbs could be taken in the top 20? This ain't 1983...

ESPN's John Keim reports the Washington Football Team will "strongly consider" taking a quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

The team, according to Ryan Fitzpatrick himself, did not sign the 38-year-old journeyman as the unquestioned Week 1 starter. With the No. 19 pick, Washington could have a shot at Kellen Mond out of Texas A&M, Florida's Kyle Trask, or even Ohio State's Justin Fields if QB-needy teams with top-10 picks sour on him. That is, of course, unless Washington trades up to have a shot at one of the top-five QBs off the board. For now, Fitzpatrick is the likely starter while Taylor Heinicke could see playing time if Fitz struggles in 2021. 

1983 was 6 in the first round not the top 20, the last 2 were picks 24 and 27 (out of 28), but yes that had some great QBs (and some not so great ones drafted well ahead of them)  We had 4 QBs in the top 10 just a few years ago.

Teams are much more willing to reach for a franchise QB in the first round, especially early, if they need one and don't expect to be back at that position again. Its also why about half of them don't last 5 to the end of their rookie contract as the starter for the team that drafted. 

I'm confused,  you think the top six QBs in this class match up for potential with the top 6 qbs of 1983?

Mostly I was just laughing at your post for the fun of it, but that's a nice way to stretch an off hand comment in your favor.  :tup:

That being said...

No, I don't predict that this QB class will have Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and John Elway, plus some other NFL starters.

Today's NFL is a different league, so comparing this draft to 1983 is laughable.  It's very possible and even likely that 5-6 QBs will go in the top 20, because you can't win games without one anymore.  Teams are giving up unbelievable packages to get access to those QBs.  It's a different game and a different QB economy.  Most teams will sell their soul for a glimpse at a QB.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

I haven't been watching this is closely as some of you guys. I thought they were planning on taking fields at 3? Is that not what San Fran is doing?  my understanding is the Alabama QB is good but not believed to be an outstanding pick

Fields was the clear cut #2 QB after he beat Clemson but for some reason his stock has dropped. Everyone has a love affair with Wilson from BYU now. He had a monster 2020 season against sub par competition. He was awful in 2019. Trey Lance is about as raw as you can get. He started one year at North Dakota State and at times wasn't even all that great. He's a project for sure. Mac Jones is a nice QB, doesn't do anything all that special. His ceiling is probably Andy Dalton. His numbers were inflated because he was in Alabama. 

I would hope that SF takes Fields at 3. Lance or Jones would be a huge reach there. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I haven't been watching this is closely as some of you guys. I thought they were planning on taking fields at 3? Is that not what San Fran is doing?  my understanding is the Alabama QB is good but not believed to be an outstanding pick

The Niners are being very coy about all of this.  Pundits think it's Jones because he fits the Shanny offense to a T.  But Shanny himself has gone on record saying that you don't win unless you (paraphrasing) mix it up and go with what is winning games at this point.  Which I read as they need a mobile QB like Fields or Lance, since Jones is a stick-in-the-mud type of QB. 

In fact, I heard that the last QB that's amounted to much that plays exclusively in the pocket is Matthew Stafford, unless someone can enlighten me as to another non-mobile QB that's been a solid contributor since him.

Edited by darin3

19 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Nobody really knows what teams are going to do, its all speculation and they send out as much smoke as they can to hide their intentions from people looking to get similar guys. The only thing that seems to be certain is Trevor Lawrence to JAX at 1.01

Just now, stevegrab said:

Nobody really knows what teams are going to do, its all speculation and they send out as much smoke as they can to hide their intentions from people looking to get similar guys. The only thing that seems to be certain is Trevor Lawrence to JAX at 1.01

:lol: Even with the 1.01, Urban Meyer is not tipping their hand... saying "that appears to be the direction they're headed".

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, darin3 said:

The Niners are being very coy about all of this.  Pundits think it's Jones because he fits the Shanny offense to a T.  But Shanny himself has gone on record saying that you don't win unless you (paraphrasing) mix it up and go with what is winning games at this point.  Which I read as they need a mobile QB like Fields or Lance, since Jones is a stick-in-the-mud type of QB. 

In fact, I heard that the last QB that's amounted to much that plays exclusively in the pocket is Matthew Stafford, unless someone can enlighten me as to another QB that's been a solid contributor since him.

Does Andrew Luck count? 

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

can someone educate me on why Lance is more appealing than Fields?

I'm reading that Fields might go as low as the #5 QB and I'm wondering why? Sure would be nice for Denver to get lucky and get Fields.

Buckeye QBs fail in the NFL :shrug: 

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Does Andrew Luck count? 

I'd say no.  He was able to move around in the pocket and run well when necessary.  Don't confuse "mobile" with "running" (like Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen).  I'm talking about a guy like Herbert or Burrow that are very adept at moving around and running when needed.  Jones is not like Herbert or Burrow or even Luck.  He's like Jared Goff or Matt Stafford.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, darin3 said:

I'd say no.  He was able to move around in the pocket and run well when necessary.  Don't confuse "mobile" with "running" (like Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen).  I'm talking about a guy like Herbert or Burrow that are very adept at moving around and running when needed.  Jones is not like Herbert or Burrow or even Luck.  He's like Jared Goff or Matt Stafford.

Gotcha, I figured you didn't mean exclusively running QBs like Lamar, but mobile ones, and while I recall Luck being able to move around he did (IMO) fit the more traditional pocket passer.

Don't watch CFB so I wouldn't know much about Jones (had to look him up once recently because I couldn't recall what school he played for). I just know that Goldilocks (Trevor) is the clear favorite, and that Fields played for the Buckeyes (hard to avoid OSU football talk anywhere in Ohio). 

While Lynch & Shanny were at Jones' pro day and don't think they'll take him. For me it still comes down to Fields or Lance. Still, the Jets could throw a whammy in the draft and pass on Wilson and take say..... Jamar Chase? Would leave San Fran in the cat bird seat to possibly take Wilson.  Maybe the Jets think Darnold is salvageable and need to get him weapons and take the best receiver in the class at 2.