[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA has its day in the supreme court

millworkguy

14 hours ago, irish said:

I gotcha, well certainly be interesting to see what happens. I also agree that there are many more paths to happiness beside getting a college degree. 

But if somebody is giving you a free ride at college, then actually getting a degree (one that is useful) should still be a priority. But it often is not, just a path to pro sports and big money. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

But if somebody is giving you a free ride at college, then actually getting a degree (one that is useful) should still be a priority. But it often is not, just a path to pro sports and big money. 

Like I said, many of the NCAA athletes i know are not getting a free ride.  The NCAA estimates that only 1% of athletes get a full scholarship 

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

Like I said, many of the NCAA athletes i know are not getting a free ride.  The NCAA estimates that only 1% of athletes get a full scholarship 

And honestly, that's their problem. Get the education that you're going there for and then make some money. Only pro athletes should be paid and deservedly so, as far less than 1% make it to that level. 

2 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Fairly sure they are actually there to make the school and NCAA money.   

Then they're there for the wrong reason, and that's the problem that needs to be fixed first. 

27 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Solutions for greed dont tend to go over too well.

Exactly, so the student athletes shouldn't be greedy and just play the game they're fortunate they have the skill to play while getting an education, while hoping they can make a career out of playing a game they love, but if not, they make money getting a job using the degree they've earned. 

12 minutes ago, irish said:

Exactly, so the student athletes shouldn't be greedy and just play the game they're fortunate they have the skill to play while getting an education, while hoping they can make a career out of playing a game they love, but if not, they make money getting a job using the degree they've earned. 

I was referring to the schools ignoring their academics and admitting them just so they could play a sport and make the school mill 

Maybe it would be okay for them to play for free if the ncaa CEO did the same. The last year I could find a number was 2017, when he got a 500k raise to 3.9 million.

If the students work for free, or volunteer so should (s)he

In Ontario (canada) the top amateur hockey organization is the OHL, (about 160 former players in the nhl this season) and has about 25-30 teams with players from 15-21 his salary is $1, and has worked for that for almost 41 years

6 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Maybe it would be okay for them to play for free if the ncaa CEO did the same. The last year I could find a number was 2017, when he got a 500k raise to 3.9 million.

Off topic, but I find that amusing because he completely hosed them in March Madness, opting for a 10 year broadcasting contract from 2023-2032 at 3% increase per year, and will cost the NCAA billions because he lowballed it so much.  I just find it humorous that the guy got a raise and did about the worst job you could possibly do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/ncaa-president-mark-emmerts-35-billion-mistake-will-define-his-failed-tenure-232648011.html

Edited by purplemonster