[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Darnold traded to Carolina

Big John

Not a Jets homer but I don't think Darnold was the problem in N.Y.

The Jets organization failed him. 

Let's see if Matt Rhule can fix Darnold's confidence which was destroyed by Adam Gase.

Will the Panthers keep Bridgewater?

4 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Not a Jets homer but I don't think Darnold was the problem in N.Y.

The Jets organization failed him. 

Let's see if Matt Rhule can fix Darnold's confidence which was destroyed by Adam Gase.

Will the Panthers keep Bridgewater?

I think they try to trade him. Believe they just signed him to 3 more years. 

23 minutes ago, Big John said:

He signed the 3-year contract last year and counts $23M against the cap this year.

Gotcha, wouldn't be shocked if they moved him. 

Panthers have given Bridgewater the OK to seek a trade

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/06/report-panthers-allow-teddy-bridgewater-to-talk-to-teams-about-trade/

Guess I was thinking the Panthers would have an open QB competition, not just hand the starting job to Darnold who hasn't started out great. 

Some potential landing spots with a chance to start could include Saints or Texans. But the Panthers probably have to eat part of that contract to trade him. 

Edited by stevegrab

39 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Panthers have given Bridgewater the OK to seek a trade

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/06/report-panthers-allow-teddy-bridgewater-to-talk-to-teams-about-trade/

Guess I was thinking the Panthers would have an open QB competition, not just hand the starting job to Darnold who hasn't started out great. 

Some potential landing spots with a chance to start could include Saints or Texans. But the Panthers probably have to eat part of that contract to trade him. 

Yeah, for me, this was the obvious expected move.  I think they're more likely to have Darnold backed up by a drafted rookie and a true veteran backup, not Bridgewater. 

Bridgewater will likely have to wait until training camp to get something done.  Look what happened with Sam Bradford a few years ago.

A training camp injury may happen, and Bridgewater would be the best option available.

3 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

That's rough and one of them might now be a career backup. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I think, and could be wrong, but that's their "excuse". I think the real problem is they don't know how to coach anywhere near as well as in the past. I think this is very much true for my Broncos. I think Bills and Josh Allen and BAL and Lamar are the exceptions these days. I feel confident that Darnold and Josh Rosen could've been very good QBs, but they landed in a piss situation.

I can definitely agree with that. And look at the typical coaches tenure nowadays. It seams like most teams are turning over coaches every 3 years 

On 4/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, LordOpie said:

I think, and could be wrong, but that's their "excuse". I think the real problem is they don't know how to coach anywhere near as well as in the past. I think this is very much true for my Broncos. I think Bills and Josh Allen and BAL and Lamar are the exceptions these days. I feel confident that Darnold and Josh Rosen could've been very good QBs, but they landed in a piss situation.

Partially true, there's just not much patience all around. And if a team is hiring new coaches or GMs every year or two, and turning over a large chunk of their roster its hard for anybody to learn and become a lot better. 

I remember watching the Ravens when Lamar was a rookie, they were afraid to try much of a passing game, and I figured he was another running QB who would not pan out. Good coaching and a willing student made it work. 

Yeah over the years I think it becomes clearer that very talented players land in bad situations and that's just it for their career. In better surroundings, they could've been way better (see Ryan Tannehill). But circumstances actually make a big difference. Think Mahomes on the Bears.

Think Ben Roethlisberger not going to a stacked Steelers team. Some Browns fans were angry we didn't draft him. they love their local Ohio QBs ever since Bernie came close to leading them to the promised land. (Browns took Kellen Winslow II, who was a good talented player but a knucklehead then and worse after retirement.) 

Well it had to happen.  Joe Douglas and Saleh want "their own" guy.  Darnold was given horrible weapons and worse coaching in fact he was NOT coached.  Lets hope all that stops on this God foresaken team.  But I will say this... Darnold is as dumb as a doorknob out there.  He has TERRIBLE footwork, balance and field vision.  He "sees ghosts" even when there is no pressure.  He is inaccurate as f*ck with his long ball.  But the main problem is... and will always be... he is incredibly slow in processing what is happening and then he will make really dumb decisions.  He just doesn't have it.  Career backup/journeyman.  Hey, I hope I'm wrong.  He;s the nicest kid you could ever meet. Professional, polite and good to his fans.  It breaks my heart to be in this position, but I'm not wrong about his ineptitude.

7 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Non rhetorical question.  Has there been any QBs recently, outside of Tannehill, that had an established record of busting and made substantial improvement with a second organization?  Tannehill seems to be the exception.  

I don't think many have had the chance to succeed after showing their bustability. 

Maybe Cousins, he was pretty bad in WAS then showed improvement in MIN.