[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL will release 2021 schedule Wed. May 12

Wolverines Fan

It has always been out around the middle of April before the NFL draft. I guess the extra game messed them up? Don't see why. Not a fan. They should have the schedule ready the previous year. They already know the opponents. Not sure I understand why, but ok.

15 hours ago, DMD said:

It has always been out around the middle of April before the NFL draft. I guess the extra game messed them up? Don't see why. Not a fan. They should have the schedule ready the previous year. They already know the opponents. Not sure I understand why, but ok.

Because they want to be in the news in the middle of May. That's the only reason. I hate it. 

17 hours ago, DMD said:

Actually pretty sure that last year was also around this time, at least after the draft. 

Not sure why it matters to people, I know some guys on another forum that say schedule release day is like Christmas, they can all check their mock scheduled and see how much they got right (very little). 

I don't think it has much to do with the 17th game, or wanting to see which teams draft who (so some marquee player can be featured in games). I'm sure it is in part to keep the NFL in the front of the news cycle, they are master of that and their fans eat up the coverage from the day after the SB until the opening game. 

I place value on the schedule as one notable component of player value. I like to project out all the players once we know where all the rookies ended up. Coming out in the middle of May with the schedule means an variable considered in assessing value is not available until then. I'll still project and rank once the NFL draft is over, but it delays me a month or more because it now comes out a few weeks into the process of evaluating players. 

I've done the strength of schedule for 24 years now. It's all done well in advance of August fantasy drafts, but the die hards want the earlier, the better. I am sure it is purely a ploy to raise interest inside an otherwise dead month, but May is going to remain largely dead regardless (like June and July). It was nice pacing to me that they released the schedule in mid-April and stoked the football fire that then became the NFL draft. Now even the draft is not until April 29.

I prefer the schedule release, then the draft in a span of a week. 

We already missed out on an NFL Combine this year. All the Pro Days don't generate the interest that the Combine did when they were all in the same place, with the same conditions. 

It is what it is, but I don't care for it.

37 minutes ago, DMD said:

I place value on the schedule as one notable component of player value. I like to project out all the players once we know where all the rookies ended up. Coming out in the middle of May with the schedule means an variable considered in assessing value is not available until then. I'll still project and rank once the NFL draft is over, but it delays me a month or more because it now comes out a few weeks into the process of evaluating players. 

I've done the strength of schedule for 24 years now. It's all done well in advance of August fantasy drafts, but the die hards want the earlier, the better. I am sure it is purely a ploy to raise interest inside an otherwise dead month, but May is going to remain largely dead regardless (like June and July). It was nice pacing to me that they released the schedule in mid-April and stoked the football fire that then became the NFL draft. Now even the draft is not until April 29.

I prefer the schedule release, then the draft in a span of a week. 

We already missed out on an NFL Combine this year. All the Pro Days don't generate the interest that the Combine did when they were all in the same place, with the same conditions. 

It is what it is, but I don't care for it.

So you're saying the actual weeks that the games are played, and whether they are Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday or Thursday night impact your projections?  Every opponent for every team is already known, not sure how the schedule is impacting your analysis of player performance on an individual game basis, same for strength of schedule. I can see how it doesn't let you complete the process, but most of the work could be done in advance, then once the schedule is known the values for individual games get tied to the weeks they are played. 

Sorry not trying trying to be a contrarian.

51 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

So you're saying the actual weeks that the games are played, and whether they are Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday or Thursday night impact your projections?  Every opponent for every team is already known, not sure how the schedule is impacting your analysis of player performance on an individual game basis, same for strength of schedule. I can see how it doesn't let you complete the process, but most of the work could be done in advance, then once the schedule is known the values for individual games get tied to the weeks they are played. 

Sorry not trying trying to be a contrarian.

I don't care so so much what the day of the week is, but in determining schedule strength,. order of games matters because I break out who has the best/worst first six games and who has the best/worst during the fantasy playoffs (which I guess now means Weeks 15, 16 and 17). I could run the schedule of opponents, but I also do not care about the final week that very, very few leagues use anymore, so order does matter to me.

17 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I haven't even seen the schedule and predict 6-11 for The Birds. And that's being generous. 

Again the full schedule only tells you which games go in which weeks, and what day and time they are played. Sure it might show a tough opponent comes as part of a back-to-back road games, but the opponents are known well in advance of the schedule being released. It seems a lot of NFL fans don't know this since they talk about the schedule like its the first time they see who they're playing in the upcoming season. 

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-to-play-new-york-jets-in-2021

And unless the NFL breaks their pattern the list of teams you play in 2022 will be known as soon as the 2021 season is over (and 14 of the opponents are known before the current season starts). 

My main concern about the schedule is when are the bye weeks as far as do any fall in the fantasy playoffs / league championship game for the high stakes leagues like they have the last couple years.  It really changes the ball game when your first round pick helps you get to the playoffs only so you can lose in the 1st round because he isn't playing.

Hopefully with the season being a week longer the NFL will keep their bye weeks in our regular season now. 

Is it that hard NFL ?  Just do 4 teams on a bye for 8 straight weeks from weeks 4-11.  Apparently that's a crazy idea since they love to bring out the 2 teams per bye early on then morph into 6 teams on a bye usually around weeks 9 and 10 just to straight kill your team then throw a few teams on bye in week 13 to kick you in the nuts.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, Henry Muto said:

My main concern about the schedule is when are the bye weeks as far as do any fall in the fantasy playoffs / league championship game for the high stakes leagues like they have the last couple years.  It really changes the ball game when your first round pick helps you get to the playoffs only so you can lose in the 1st round because he isn't playing.

Hopefully with the season being a week longer the NFL will keep their bye weeks in our regular season now. 

Is it that hard NFL ?  Just do 4 teams on a bye for 8 straight weeks from weeks 4-11.  Apparently that's a crazy idea since they love to bring out the 2 teams per bye early on then morph into 6 teams on a bye usually around weeks 9 and 10 just to straight kill your team then throw a few teams on bye in week 13 to kick you in the nuts.

I found this page that has the bye weeks for 2021, not sure how they have that already, so may not be accurate. Actually I'll go out on a limb and say it is just a guess, since their schedule only goes 17 weeks and 2021 will have 18 weeks (17 games + 1 bye). I doubt the NFL has locked this in, kind of odd to see some fantasy site peddling such misinformation. Looking at 2020 byes, it appears they just used that with a few changes, pure junk. 

https://www.footballdiehards.com/nfl-bye-weeks.cfm

I'm sure you know (but probably don't care) the NFL doesn't build their schedule around fantasy football, they generally don't want more than 4 teams on bye at once and want to avoid byes in the first few weeks, last few weeks, and Thanksgiving week (too few games for Sunday afternoon with 3 on Thanksgiving). Also most leagues don't have playoffs on week 13 of the 17 week schedule, so it isn't an issue for them. 

Sure your plan of 4 teams in each of weeks 4-11 would work, but that's one more scheduling requirement thrown at the massive computer model used to spit out thousands of possible schedules which fit a large set of criteria. 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:59 PM, stevegrab said:

Not sure why it matters to people

Well, a lot of people travel to games, or want to plan for games around special occasions and such. Some people need to save money for these, take time off work, make travel arrangements, etc.

So the later the schedule comes out can impact a lot of this, especially if people need to take time off work. 

1 hour ago, Chief Dick said:

Well, a lot of people travel to games, or want to plan for games around special occasions and such. Some people need to save money for these, take time off work, make travel arrangements, etc.

So the later the schedule comes out can impact a lot of this, especially if people need to take time off work. 

Fair point. When I had Browns season tickets it mattered more, and I wanted to make sure I had the games on my calendar so I did not schedule anything when we had a road game, or if it was a SNF/MNF to take the morning after off. 

Many (on this other forum I mentioned) who were unhappy when it was delayed last year are not trying to plan to attend a game, and I didn't think DMD was either. And when I read people saying "they should have the schedule ready the previous year" I wonder if they've given any thought to what goes into making a schedule. The opponents are known well in advance, but that's just the starting point of schedule building. There's a whole bunch of requirements and requests (teams, TV partners) to be taken into consideration. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Fair point. When I had Browns season tickets it mattered more, and I wanted to make sure I had the games on my calendar so I did not schedule anything when we had a road game, or if it was a SNF/MNF to take the morning after off. 

Many (on this other forum I mentioned) who were unhappy when it was delayed last year are not trying to plan to attend a game, and I didn't think DMD was either. And when I read people saying "they should have the schedule ready the previous year" I wonder if they've given any thought to what goes into making a schedule. The opponents are known well in advance, but that's just the starting point of schedule building. There's a whole bunch of requirements and requests (teams, TV partners) to be taken into consideration. 

I'm an out of state season ticket holder and I try to get to at least 4 home games a year, more when they're good. The earlier the schedule comes out the better for me as well. I pick my games and divy up the rest. 

57 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I'm an out of state season ticket holder and I try to get to at least 4 home games a year, more when they're good. The earlier the schedule comes out the better for me as well. I pick my games and divy up the rest. 

:pc: Weren't you thinking of cancelling them because of player actions?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I found this page that has the bye weeks for 2021, not sure how they have that already, so may not be accurate. Actually I'll go out on a limb and say it is just a guess, since their schedule only goes 17 weeks and 2021 will have 18 weeks (17 games + 1 bye). I doubt the NFL has locked this in, kind of odd to see some fantasy site peddling such misinformation. Looking at 2020 byes, it appears they just used that with a few changes, pure junk. 

https://www.footballdiehards.com/nfl-bye-weeks.cfm

I'm sure you know (but probably don't care) the NFL doesn't build their schedule around fantasy football, they generally don't want more than 4 teams on bye at once and want to avoid byes in the first few weeks, last few weeks, and Thanksgiving week (too few games for Sunday afternoon with 3 on Thanksgiving). Also most leagues don't have playoffs on week 13 of the 17 week schedule, so it isn't an issue for them. 

Sure your plan of 4 teams in each of weeks 4-11 would work, but that's one more scheduling requirement thrown at the massive computer model used to spit out thousands of possible schedules which fit a large set of criteria. 

That's last years bye weeks before the season got covid into changing the bye weeks which is why it is almost same as last year.

I just noticed it said 2021 bye weeks my guess is their site just rolled the year over from 2020 to 2021 and they need to update when it comes out.

Edited by Henry Muto

2 minutes ago, Henry Muto said:

That's last years bye weeks before the season got covid into changing the bye weeks which is why it is almost same as last year.

Right but labeled at the top as 2021, which is this year. It showed up in a web search for 2020 bye weeks and also labeled 2021 there, so I clicked to see how somebody already knows the bye weeks. Wasn't until I had looked at 2020 that I realized it was nearly the same and added that to my post. 

• 3 weeks later...

A dark day for myself and anyone else who plays in the FFPC (and RTS to a lesser extent).

Up until last year we only had week 13 byes in 2 seasons (2016 2 teams, 2020 2 teams) but for fun this year we all get kicked in the nuts if you play in the FFPC.

Enjoy making the playoffs ?  Well enjoy your #1 overall pick not playing for you in the playoffs.  For 2nd straight year CMC will not be available in 1 of the FFPC playoff weeks.  (was injured last year but on bye anyway).

At least last year it was just 2 teams.....how about 8 teams this year.

Week 13 - 1st round FFPC playoffs - Cle, GB, Tenn, Car all bye

Week 14 - champ week - Ind, Mia, NE, Phil (RTS 1st round playoffs)

It's "strategy" or "you don't have to draft those guys" is what some will say........well I like to try and win $500,000 and taking CMC usually would help your chances plus any of those other big name studs.

I was thinking having 18 weeks we now will finally be free of having teams on bye during the high stakes fantasy playoff leagues but NFL decides to wait until week 6 for the first time ever to start the byes pushing them all back.

It's a game changer for those who play in FFPC and RTS and not in a good way.

Thanksgiving games

WEEK 12

Thursday, Nov. 25

Chicago at Detroit, 12:30 p.m. (FOX)

Las Vegas at Dallas, 4:30 p.m. (CBS)

Buffalo at New Orleans, 8:20 p.m. (NBC)

Christmas games:

WEEK 16

Saturday, Dec. 25

Cleveland at Green Bay, 4:30 p.m. (FOX/NFLN/AMAZON**)

Indianapolis at Arizona, 8:15 p.m. (NFLN)

Tom Brady returns to Foxborough

WEEK 4

Tampa Bay at New England, 8:20 p.m. (NBC)

Matthew Stafford plays da' Lions

WEEK 7

Detroit at L.A. Rams, 4:05 p.m. (FOX)

International games:

WEEK 5

Sunday, Oct. 10

New York vs. Atlanta (London), 9:30 a.m. (NFLN)

WEEK 6

Sunday, Oct. 17

Miami vs. Jacksonville (London), 9:30 a.m. (CBS)

44 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Week 14 byes are Indy, Miami, NE and Philly.  This is going to have major ramifications on the high stakes FFPC competitions.

Many feared it was coming, sucks.