LordOpie

Trevor Lawrence will be a 'bust'

He reminds me of Sam Bradford. Zach Wilson will have a more successful and longer career. It's funny that nyj accidentally fell into this situation

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/14/trevor-lawrence-magazine-cover-story-daily-cover

“It’s hard to explain that because I want people to know that I’m passionate about what I do and it’s really important to me, but . . . I don’t have this huge chip on my shoulder, that everyone’s out to get me and I’m trying to prove everybody wrong,” he says. “I just don’t have that. I can’t manufacture that. I don’t want to.” Marissa adds, “There’s also more in life than playing football.”

“Yeah,” Trevor says. “And I think people mistake that for being a competitor. . . . I think that’s unhealthy to a certain extent, just always thinking that you’ve got to prove somebody wrong, you’ve got to do more, you’ve got to be better.”

Marissa: “That usually only leads to sadness as well—always, like, striving for something new or better.”

Trevor has always been like this. Everybody in the family says that off the football field, Marissa, who played soccer at Division II Anderson University, is more competitive than he is. His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’ ” Trevor’s coach at Cartersville High, Joey King, says, “There is no doubt about it: With who he is as a person, he could walk away from it tomorrow and be fine.” Others who know Lawrence well agree. This would make for an unusual Nike campaign: Who Needs This, Anyway? It is probably not what a lot of NFL fans want to hear. Lawrence knows his words will get twisted and used against him. He doesn’t seem too worried about it.

Trevor Lawrence is out to prove absolutely nothing. This will either be the reason he makes the Hall of Fame, or the reason he doesn’t

Wait, Trevor Lawrence was the one who insisted that the NCAA man up and play through Covid. In a year where he had nothing to prove. He could of sat out with the other jobbers, but he didn't. I've been following Trevor Lawrence from day one, this kid is about as competitive and tough as they come. Those comments were taken way to seriously and mean Shizz. 

I think those comments are concerning

Sam Bradford was very injury prone that did him in.

Yup, and this Kid is NOT Sam Bradford. He would of been drafted #1 out of High School if eligible. Those comments in no way reflect his actions. He lives and breathes football. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Big John said:

Sam Bradford was very injury prone that did him in.

Sam had the same well adjusted view of life. same With Luck

Guys who don't live football concern me

Edited by LordOpie

8 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Sam had the same well adjusted view of life. same With Luck

Guys who don't live football concern me

Naaa, I think people are reading way to much into it. If he's a bust it's going to be because Urban Meyer ruins him like Gase would. I feel like he'd be way better off going anywhere but to Jacksonville. 

This is absolute complete nonsense. This dude sounds completely mentally healthy. He loves the game, wants to win, but sounds mature beyond his years about his professional and personal outlook. He's a stud and when his playing time is through, he'll just walk away and live the rest of his life. I look forward to watching his pro career unfold...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, irish said:

This dude sounds completely mentally healthy...  sounds mature beyond his years about his professional and personal outlook. 

That's the point

Posted (edited)

I think it kind of depends on your definition of bust. I don't think he's going to bust necessarily. I think he'll play for a while anyway and he probably be at least good. Maybe the bigger question is how long is he going to play. Someone who expresses sentiments like that I do wonder if they're going to play much past 33.  It's one thing to enjoy football when things are going good. It's another when you have had a bunch of injuries, a few concussions, you're worried about CTE,  or there are other careers or other things you want to do in life. I think what Opie's point is is that this is pretty early to be saying stuff like that. 

That said he's been nothing but a competitor so far. People's sentiments can change. Luck seemed all in until one day he was out, and he stayed out.  TL has been dominating so long and received so much praise maybe he'll get some more fire with criticism. Or maybe he'll say see ya dudes I gotta work on my pottery skills at 30. 

Edited by purplemonster

The weeks leading up to the draft = hot take season

29 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I think it kind of depends on your definition of bust. I don't think he's going to bust necessarily. I think he'll play for a while anyway and he probably be at least good. Maybe the bigger question is how long is he going to play. Someone who expresses sentiments like that I do wonder if they're going to play much past 33.  It's one thing to enjoy football when things are going good. It's another when you have had a bunch of injuries, a few concussions, you're worried about CTE,  or there are other careers or other things you want to do in life. I think what Opie's point is is that this is pretty early to be saying stuff like that. 

That said he's been nothing but a competitor so far. People's sentiments can change. Luck seemed all in until one day he was out, and he stayed out.  TL has been dominating so long and received so much praise maybe he'll get some more fire with criticism. Or maybe he'll say see ya dudes I gotta work on my pottery skills at 30. 

This a good explanation of what i was trying to say but didn't.

Obviously JAX has no choice to draft him

He’s never tasted a bad losing season. He may be able to say these things because he’s never struggled. Like purple said, if they struggle mightily this year maybe we’ll find out how he really feels. It might light a huge fire under his butt, or maybe he will realize he doesn’t care. My guess is he’s a competitor and he’ll realize he cares maybe even more than he realized he does.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Finn5033 said:

He’s never tasted a bad losing season. He may be able to say these things because he’s never struggled. Like purple said, if they struggle mightily this year maybe we’ll find out how he really feels. It might light a huge fire under his butt, or maybe he will realize he doesn’t care. My guess is he’s a competitor and he’ll realize he cares maybe even more than he realized he does.

It's amazing to me that Millions of dollars can be gambled on this outcome. Then again Ryan Leaf proved that it is never certain. :unsure:

• Like 1