[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor: Julio Jones on the trade block

Wolverines Fan

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-julio-jones-receiving-trade-calls-on-star-wr

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/4/26/22404030/nfl-draft-rumors-falcons-trade-julio-jones-jamarr-chase-bengals-news

It's probably just one of those pre draft smoke screen rumors, but he turned 32 in February.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

i said that they should've traded him last year. Be like NEP, trade guys before their value falls off

Atlanta almost certainly wanted to trade him and no one wanted the cap hit.  The article states how a trade is more realistic after June 1 as the cap situation becomes less problematic.  Even then it may not be feasible.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Atlanta almost certainly wanted to trade him and no one wanted the cap hit.  The article states how a trade is more realistic after June 1 as the cap situation becomes less problematic.  Even then it may not be feasible.

Agree, It's a tough contract to move and wouldn't make much sense at this point. If the Atlanta Falcons cut Julio Jones post-June 1st they would gain $0 cap space and would have $23 Million in dead money. 

If they take Pitts, then they should get something for Jones who crashed and burned all last year while Calvin Ridley blew up. Jones, Ridley and Pitts would just cut into each others action.

Strong QB class, Matt Ryan is 36 this season, seems like the prudent pick at 4 would be a QB, or to let someone between 5-8 trade up to get Pitts and draft the QB a little lower.  If they can move Julio and get some additional capital in this draft or next year's it minimizes the pain of that transition.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, Caveman_Nick said:

Strong QB class, Matt Ryan is 36 this season, seems like the prudent pick at 4 would be a QB, or to let someone between 5-8 trade up to get Pitts and draft the QB a little lower.  If they can move Julio and get some additional capital in this draft or next year's it minimizes the pain of that transition.

Theoretically I agree on the QB but practically I don't think teams nowadays, with QB salaries being what they are, can just burn 2 years of a franchise QB's rookie deal. They have Ryan for two more years I think.

I agree with the idea that with a new GM and coach in town they take the lay of the land this season, pass on a new QB, and see where they are. Pitts with Arthur Smith seems like a match made in heaven. Trade out/down is also reasonable but they don't have the cap room as it is - more draft picks makes it worse.

Having said all that, I don't think QB is out of the question for them, though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stethant said:

Theoretically I agree on the QB but practically I don't think teams nowadays, with QB salaries being what they are, can just burn 2 years of a franchise QB's rookie deal. They have Ryan for two more years I think.

I agree with the idea that with a new GM and coach in town they take the lay of the land this season, pass on a new QB, and see where they are. Pitts with Arthur Smith seems like a match made in heaven. Trade out/down is also reasonable but they don't have the cap room as it is - more draft picks makes it worse.

Having said all that, I don't think QB is out of the question for them, though.

I have this picture in my mind of Matt Ryan in a Bears uniform.  Don't know why, but If I was the Bears, I would be after the Falcons to trade me Ryan.

Per this article

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/atlanta-falcons/nfl-insider-names-teams-in-play-for-julio-jones-trade

Ravens and Raiders both in the mix to try to trade for Jones.

5 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Per this article

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-south/atlanta-falcons/nfl-insider-names-teams-in-play-for-julio-jones-trade

Ravens and Raiders both in the mix to try to trade for Jones.

If they can fit it in the cap I think it makes a lot of sense for The Ravens. The Raiders aren't close enough IMO. 

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Big John said:

The Falcons are in deep salary-cap trouble.  Trading him after June 1 can get them some breathing room and the ability to sign their draft picks.

This. They pretty much have to move him.