[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rank Your Teams Draft

Eagles

I give the Eagles a D+. Devonta Smith was a no brainer and cost them virtually nothing to move up for. Their second round pick Landon Dickerson is a head scratcher. They had to come out of the early rounds with a stud CB and didn't. They really didn't fill areas of need. Overall it was pretty disappointing. 

Hard to say but it looks pretty good.  As with all drafts you won't know for a while but if our OL guys (1st, 3rd) pan out that would help a lot. The Vikings were getting a lot of interior pressure and sacks with a small OL and Cousins is a statue. I don't know much about this quarterback Kellen Mond from A&M but if he pans out it could be a good draft.  These other guys, a project LB (converted from QB two years ago) and a DE from Pittsburgh are iffy, but the Vikings have holes everywhere so they might be starting on day 1. 

Edited by purplemonster

All things told, Ryan Pace has done OK over the past few years in the 2nd round and on in their drafts.  It was just the Trubisky blunder that everyone (myself included) blasts him for.

If Fields pans out, the Bears had a nice draft.  For now I'll say it's a solid B.

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

All things told, Ryan Pace has done OK over the past few years in the 2nd round and on in their drafts.  It was just the Trubisky blunder that everyone (myself included) blasts him for.

If Fields pans out, the Bears had a nice draft.  For now I'll say it's a solid B.

Agree, credit where credit is due. He landed who most people feel is the #2 QB and gave up little to do so. He then beefed up the O-Line to protect his new investment. It certainly doesn't erase all of his other mistakes but it's a nice start. 

I think Saints had a better draft then last year. After looking at each player we drafted I would give them B+. A lot of potential there if these guy put in the work. Turner (1st) could be a a great replacement for Trey since he left and also Davenport is always hurt. He needs to learn as much as he can from Cam. Werner (2nd) didn't do to much looking at him but looks like he can start right away along side Davis. He can also benefit a lot from learning from Davis. Paulson (3rd) was a good value pick where we got him. He can probably start day one when we will need him to if the Lattimore situation goes south. With a little work he can be on the Lattimore level. Book (4th) I think this guy has a lot of potential. I watch a couple highlight reels of him and I can see some Russell Wilson type plays with him. He can throw pretty accurate and can move to create more time for the receivers. With a little Payton magic he can be our next starter. But, they need to invest time into him. I wish we could of drafted him last year and let him learn from Brees. Young (6th) didn't look at him to much either but looks like he can be a solid tackle. Payton will need to have him learn more of the right side so he can be more versatile. He will benefit a lot from learning from the veterans. Baker (7th) He looks like he can be a big threat after the catch for us. I would say a poor mans Kamara if he was a WR. With some work he can be a good WR along side Thomas. I can see him shining with Winston or Book at QB but not Taysom. All this is just some initial thoughts about these guys. I still don't know a ton about them, This is just from videos I seen of them and hearing discussions about them. I am no expert. 

@rajncajn What you think?

Edited by CrazyCajun

1 hour ago, CrazyCajun said:

I think Saints had a better draft then last year. After looking at each player we drafted I would give them B+. A lot of potential there if these guy put in the work. Turner (1st) could be a a great replacement for Trey since he left and also Davenport is always hurt. He needs to learn as much as he can from Cam. Werner (2nd) didn't do to much looking at him but looks like he can start right away along side Davis. He can also benefit a lot from learning from Davis. Paulson (3rd) was a good value pick where we got him. He can probably start day one when we will need him to if the Lattimore situation goes south. With a little work he can be on the Lattimore level. Book (4th) I think this guy has a lot of potential. I watch a couple highlight reels of him and I can see some Russell Wilson type plays with him. He can throw pretty accurate and can move to create more time for the receivers. With a little Payton magic he can be our next starter. But, they need to invest time into him. I wish we could of drafted him last year and let him learn from Brees. Young (6th) didn't look at him to much either but looks like he can be a solid tackle. Payton will need to have him learn more of the right side so he can be more versatile. He will benefit a lot from learning from the veterans. Baker (7th) He looks like he can be a big threat after the catch for us. I would say a poor mans Kamara if he was a WR. With some work he can be a good WR along side Thomas. I can see him shining with Winston or Book at QB but not Taysom. All this is just some initial thoughts about these guys. I still don't know a ton about them, This is just from videos I seen of them and hearing discussions about them. I am no expert. 

@rajncajn What you think?

I would agree with that grade. The Saints are in a good position where they didn't lose a whole lot in the off-season and can afford to bring most of these guys along slowly. This is again one of those drafts that don't appear to have much pop on the surface, but really can't be judged until a few years down the road.

22 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

speaking of the Saints... I'm making my call now...

James Winston will be a top 10 QB this year and going forward. NOS should sign him to an extension before this because he'll then require a large contract.

Consider 2019 and what 2020 would've been for him if he threw 10 INTs instead of 30. I think he can repeat 2019 with much less turnovers. And he's 27yo. I wanted Denver to get him.

Why do I think less turn overs? LASIK and better coaching. 

I agree that he'll continue to be a great fantasy QB, but I seriously question where he will get them past the playoff hump. 

26 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

if he has a 2019 with 10 INTs, I think playoffs are guaranteed. If he can maintain that type of production and protection, then they should do well in the playoffs.

If he starts to destroy teams I can see the Saints signing him to a longer contract. But if he struggles I can see Ian Book to take over depending on his progress this season. He has a high ceiling in my opinion. He gives me Wilson vibes a little bit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrazyCajun said:

If he starts to destroy teams I can see the Saints signing him to a longer contract. But if he struggles I can see Ian Book to take over depending on his progress this season. He has a high ceiling in my opinion. He gives me Wilson vibes a little bit. 

I don't see Book setting the field this year barring injury. If Winston falters, Taysom will be the guy to step in and Payton will give them both a long leash.

6 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I don't see Book setting the field this year barring injury. If Winston falters, Taysom will be the guy to step in and Payton will give them both a long leash.

Yeah I dont see him starting this year either depending injury. Im talking next year he has a good chance to start if he develops well.

I'm not sold on Book.  He played behind an absolutely studly OL at Notre Dame.  If he gets protection, he's adequate.  But he's no Brees.  I think Book will be a career backup at best.

That said, Payton has been a QB whisperer and gets a lot out of average talents.  In that offense, Book could be a sleeper if Winston is not signed long term.  I don't think Taysom Hill is a viable, every-week starter.

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I would agree with that grade. The Saints are in a good position where they didn't lose a whole lot in the off-season and can afford to bring most of these guys along slowly. This is again one of those drafts that don't appear to have much pop on the surface, but really can't be judged until a few years down the road.

I don't love the Saints draft. I think they reached on Turner in the 1st. There was much better value there. If that's who they wanted they could of traded down to get more picks and still got him. 

15 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I don't love the Saints draft. I think they reached on Turner in the 1st. There was much better value there. If that's who they wanted they could of traded down to get more picks and still got him. 

Who was better value? A lot of Saints fans were upset because they didn't take JOK, but now it comes out that he has a heart condition. In fact JOK nearly made it to their next pick.

I like the pick because he's not expected to start right away and given the Saints track record on selecting and developing OLinemen I have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think that within the years, that better value will hand played out and Turner will be considered a good selection there. 

Edited by rajncajn

9 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I like the pick because he's not expected to start right away and given the Saints track record on selecting and developing OLinemen I have to give them the benefit of the doubt

Turner is a DE. Why would you draft someone in the first round and NOT expect them to start? If you want a project, trade out. 

Just now, LordOpie said:

I think a lot of coaches and GMs just don't trust rookies or expect much from them

Understood, but Turner was not a projected first rounder. Why not trade out a few spots, get some picks and draft him then? He wasn't going anywhere. And even if he did there would be comparable talent well into the second round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Turner is a DE. Why would you draft someone in the first round and NOT expect them to start? If you want a project, trade out. 

Sorry,  yes, Dlineman. 

Edited by rajncajn

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Understood, but Turner was not a projected first rounder. Why not trade out a few spots, get some picks and draft him then? He wasn't going anywhere. And even if he did there would be comparable talent well into the second round. 

I believe they tried and couldn't find any takers. Word was they tried multiple trades and no one was biting. On Turner,  I think it depends on who you ask. There were some that had him as a late riser. Honestly,  I didn't know anything about him,  but after reading some of the stuff that was posted on the Saints board I was more comfortable with the pick. As I said,  the Aints have had a pretty good track record there and they've done a good job coaching these guys into starters and role players. From what I've read,  Turner was miscast as a DT initially,  which is why his production is let than your expect. But his measurables tick all the right boxes as a DE.

20 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Who was better value? A lot of Saints fans were upset because they didn't take JOK, but now it comes out that he has a heart condition. In fact JOK nearly made it to their next pick.

I like the pick because he's not expected to start right away and given the Saints track record on selecting and developing OLinemen I have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think that within the years, that better value will hand played out and Turner will be considered a good selection there. 

Regarding JOK, his heart condition is a non factor from what I've read. NFL teams were aware of that already, it may have just come to light for the fans, but it was not a surprise to the teams that were considering drafting him. 

A big reason JOK slid is he doesn't fit what NFL defenses want to do. He is a LB but sized more like a safety. The Browns have a defense they feel that he can be used in, he'll play a lot of coverage LB.